Sponsored

Tow/haul mode experience

RHIPDX

Member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021 and Ranger 2026
Occupation
retired
Rightly or wrongly I’ve been towing my teardrop (T@b 400 boondock, about 4400lbs laden), mostly with the normal drive mode. This with the 2026 2.7 liter engine. Has performed well and gives me better mileage and performance than my 2019 2.3L did (~15 vs 14)
Tried using the tow/haul mode on a trip up around Mt Hood OR. It seems to me that the engine is staying in way too low a gear both going up and down. Excessive engine braking on even a modest slope. Similarly the mpg dropped by 2-3 to just above 12.
curious as to what others’ experience has been with similar loads.
Sponsored

 

OxygenMask

Well-Known Member
First Name
Phil
Joined
Feb 20, 2026
Threads
10
Messages
898
Reaction score
1,699
Location
Eugene, Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I use tow mode a lot. I generally get better mileage in tow mode.
I used tow mode a lot during a cross country road trip, I like because it isn't in a rush to get into higher gears, especially in the mountains, lugging the engine. But it's often too aggressive with downhill down shifting while braking for my liking so I would often go back to Normal mode going downhill.

In my F350 i use tow/haul up the mountains when towing, but turn it off and manually select gears when going down the mountain, again because its too aggressive downshifting.

But now I use Sport the most... (It kills my mileage in daily driving but it's so much more fun...)
 

fordtrks4ever

Well-Known Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jun 18, 2023
Threads
1
Messages
860
Reaction score
750
Location
Perkiomenville, Pa
Vehicle(s)
2025 Honda Odyssey, 2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Retired
used when towing and works great.
liked it on my F150 and like it on the Raptor
 

Txquailguy

Active Member
First Name
Mark
Joined
Feb 9, 2021
Threads
4
Messages
32
Reaction score
71
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2025 2.3L Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2023 Ford Maverick Lariat AWD EcoBoost
Occupation
Floodplain Administrator
That's why I like aftermarket tuning. It's so much better than the Ford factory programming....as long as you "chose wisely".....:like:
Not much of a Ford Tow mode fan......just my humble opinion.
 

Texasota

Well-Known Member
First Name
Al
Joined
Jan 27, 2019
Threads
1
Messages
472
Reaction score
391
Location
Rochester, MN
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I always use Tow Mode when pulling my 4000lb boat. Happy with the performance.
 

Sponsored

chasc

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2024
Threads
6
Messages
125
Reaction score
141
Location
Illinois
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
We’ve got the 2.7L engine and a 20’ travel trailer. Nearly always leave it in Tow mode with the trailer and haven’t had any complaints. Occasionally it gets left accidentally in Normal after a gas stop and once I realize I think “oh, that’s why it felt a bit sluggish.” I’ve experimented with Normal vs Tow for flat interstate cruising at 65 mph and found it to linger in 9th gear either way so I stopped worrying about changing it out of tow mode.
 

dcbz

Member
First Name
Dan
Joined
Apr 28, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
9
Reaction score
12
Location
TX
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ford Ranger Lariat 2.7
Occupation
Retired
I don't tow far, but I tow often, approximately 2-4 days a week. I suspect that my boat, fully laden, is less than 3500 pounds. I use tow mode every time that I tow. I have been pleased with the RPM range and engine braking with my modest load. I, too, have a 2026 Ranger with the 2.7 EcoBoost.
 

PA RangerRick

Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Aug 30, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
New Oxford, PA
Vehicle(s)
'26 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, '24 Kia EV6, '20 Mazda MX5, '19 Husqvarna Vitpilen 701
Occupation
Retired
Curious to hear how the 2.3 L crowd feels. Seems most/all?? comments came from 2.7 owners. I'm a new 2.3 L 2026 Ranger owner and I'm hoping to tow a trailer up to the 5000 lb range. Did I make a mistake by opting for the 2.3?
 

Black Knight

Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2019
Threads
0
Messages
15
Reaction score
10
Location
Somewhere In TX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
I towed this with my 2019 2.3 and had no problems.
Towed a larger 31hp JD on a 20ft trailer with my 2024, and still no issues.
No pictures of the bigger trailer with the JD, but it was probably just a bit over 5k.
You'll be fine.
Ford Ranger Tow/haul mode experience 63df2843-d186-4bba-aac5-a24e2aa4fc5a-1_all_2961
 
OP
OP

RHIPDX

Member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021 and Ranger 2026
Occupation
retired
Curious to hear how the 2.3 L crowd feels. Seems most/all?? comments came from 2.7 owners. I'm a new 2.3 L 2026 Ranger owner and I'm hoping to tow a trailer up to the 5000 lb range. Did I make a mistake by opting for the 2.3?
I had the 2.3L before to haul my teardrop at about 4400lbs. I went all over the place with it - up into the Canadian Rockies, down into Colorado and around the Cascades. Basically, it managed, but was pretty sluggish climbing up into the mountains. Thats why I eventually upgraded to the 2.7L, for both HP and Torque. Bottom line, the 2.3L can do it, the 2.7L just manages it more easily. And if you aren't doing mountains, it matters less.
 

Sponsored

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,033
Reaction score
3,893
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
My son towed his other car from the bottom of texas to Omaha Nebraska. Said he did 80 and had zero issues with his stx 2.3 4x4.

I am going to do the reverse route and bring his car home at the end of october. Mine is a 2wd stx 2.3.
 

Oreamnos

New Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Lariat
Rightly or wrongly I’ve been towing my teardrop (T@b 400 boondock, about 4400lbs laden), mostly with the normal drive mode. This with the 2026 2.7 liter engine. Has performed well and gives me better mileage and performance than my 2019 2.3L did (~15 vs 14)
Tried using the tow/haul mode on a trip up around Mt Hood OR. It seems to me that the engine is staying in way too low a gear both going up and down. Excessive engine braking on even a modest slope. Similarly the mpg dropped by 2-3 to just above 12.
curious as to what others’ experience has been with similar loads.
Your post is what triggered my registering for these forums just now. I can chime in with <slightly> similar experience.

I have a 2026 with the 2.7 that I just picked up a month and a half ago. Last week, I drove it to Portland to pick up our new T@b 400 Black Canyon, and promptly drove it home to Central OR via 26. So I think that's a pretty apples-to-apples comparison... ;)

Just by default, I did the entire drive home in tow/haul, and my mileage numbers were exactly the same as yours. Mostly hurt by the climb up to Govt Camp and the climb out of the canyon at Warm Springs. Mileage on the trip to PDX without the trailer was pretty good, at about 25.

I had some similar impressions as you regarding gear selection, and at multiple points I was wondering if I should take it out of tow/haul. I think on my next trip (possibly tomorrow) I will plan to go with normal model for routine driving on the "flat" stretches (still with rolling elevation changes), and just use tow/haul for any notably steeper parts.

Am glad to have tow/haul for significant grades, but I think normal will just be a bit more relaxed, and the 2.7 certainly has enough torque to manage the usual minor climbs.

Obligatory Govt Camp rest area pic:

Ford Ranger Tow/haul mode experience IMG_6245
 

SLJ

Well-Known Member
First Name
Steve
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Threads
3
Messages
121
Reaction score
133
Location
The Finger Lakes
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger XL/STX/4x4/Tow/360
Occupation
Retired
Have a '25 2.3 and no problems towing my 3,200 pound camper in Tow mode up or down grades. Ranger doesn't know it's back there.
 
OP
OP

RHIPDX

Member
First Name
Richard
Joined
Apr 1, 2026
Threads
4
Messages
18
Reaction score
9
Location
Oregon
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2021 and Ranger 2026
Occupation
retired
Your post is what triggered my registering for these forums just now. I can chime in with <slightly> similar experience.

I have a 2026 with the 2.7 that I just picked up a month and a half ago. Last week, I drove it to Portland to pick up our new T@b 400 Black Canyon, and promptly drove it home to Central OR via 26. So I think that's a pretty apples-to-apples comparison... ;)

Just by default, I did the entire drive home in tow/haul, and my mileage numbers were exactly the same as yours. Mostly hurt by the climb up to Govt Camp and the climb out of the canyon at Warm Springs. Mileage on the trip to PDX without the trailer was pretty good, at about 25.

I had some similar impressions as you regarding gear selection, and at multiple points I was wondering if I should take it out of tow/haul. I think on my next trip (possibly tomorrow) I will plan to go with normal model for routine driving on the "flat" stretches (still with rolling elevation changes), and just use tow/haul for any notably steeper parts.

Am glad to have tow/haul for significant grades, but I think normal will just be a bit more relaxed, and the 2.7 certainly has enough torque to manage the usual minor climbs.

Obligatory Govt Camp rest area pic:

IMG_6245.webp
Our experiences are even more alike than you think. My runs were Portland road trip via Bend to LaPine via Detroit Lake, and Portland round trip to Timothy Lake via Gov't Camp. Same mountain roads (plus a couple of trips to the ocean via the Coast Range). My setup is very similar except for adding a bed cover and roof rack with kayaks. The Timothy Lake sun was the one with tow/haul mode. Bed cover definitely helps the consumption too.

Ford Ranger Tow/haul mode experience 26 Ranger+T@
 

got3fords

Well-Known Member
First Name
James
Joined
Jan 30, 2025
Threads
25
Messages
588
Reaction score
529
Location
Central Va.
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
Does tow mode put the trans in 4A, or is that just the Raptors?
Sponsored

 
 







Top