• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Wax/Paint Protection

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
The hybrid ceramic is working well for me as well.
Are you using the Armor Shield IX or the spray and hose off product? (I think it was from Meguiars?)
Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Meguiars spray.

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
Took a crack at applying the Armor Shield IX today.
Not sure how good a job I did, as I only used 1 bottle, and expected it to take more. ( I didn’t do any of the inner part of the bed ).
It looks pretty slick though...

475F34A9-4380-4F06-BCF7-299DA08D8343.jpeg

A68A6BB5-5482-4647-8CB4-3D20A428E792.jpeg
There is no question that your truck looks beyond great. My truck (magnetic) whenever it arrives will be only used about 5K miles/year or so and always garaged. I haven't gotten anything new in years and in the long interim have been satisfied with a quick detailer to gloss up my old Lexus which still has after 16 years a like-new gloss. So lots of products have passed me by and I don't imagine I would use a ceramic product, let alone a clay bar. Old and lazy I guess, and I would never pay $500 to have it professionally done either. BUT it is great to know what is out there and results just in case :) This is a really great site! Thanks for taking the time to do your posts.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
CarPro Ceramic coating checking in here.. took me about 4 hours. I even did my plastic trim (potential trigger for some people) on the mirrors and bumper, headlights, glass as well as wheels and fender edges. Snow didn’t even stick in this lasted storm we had.
Ford Ranger Wax/Paint Protection 37AC6F51-D1EE-4015-A35E-1781570E0FFD
Ford Ranger Wax/Paint Protection 8EABD652-C326-41EE-977D-DCF10C42C573

Ford Ranger Wax/Paint Protection DCC43F52-A7D6-4315-868D-FBF4CAF09815

Last edited:

Sponsored

RangerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Had a ceramic coating done over the past 2 days. I believe it was CQuartz. They did aclay/ very light polish. I hope it holds up reasonably well. I have been a detail fanatic since a my first car however the older I get the less time I have. With 800 miles it looks fantastic. Time will tell.

Ford Ranger Wax/Paint Protection 20190514_120905 4a

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Those of you using the ceramic wax and saying you re-apply it ever few months... what happens to the coating over that time? When I think of ceramic I think of a hard shell. Obviously that does not seem the case here. Does it that it just wear off or breakdown? Is that the same if one goes to have it done professionally? If so that kinda stinks - was hoping for years of solid coating protection. I admit to being clueless on car detailing, trying to learn.

RangerDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Was told it should last a year or two with "proper" care. Proper care is to basically use a spray sealant at every wash along with a spray drying agent of some sort. I never tried the coatings so will see how it goes. After seeing how it is applied I will probably take care of the reapplication every 6 months or so.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '86 FC RX-7
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
+1 vote on Meguir's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I truly do think this product is the end-all-be-all solution for a daily driver. After washing the truck, initial application took me about 30 minutes. Here are the steps that I took for initial application:
  1. Wash car thoroughly with a 50/50 mix of car wash and dish soap to strip everything off the paint. Make sure to do the two bucket method - its not anymore work and far cleaner.
  2. Optional: Clay bar. It would be best to clay bar IF your paint needs it. I didn't have any clay lying around and my paint was pretty smooth so I skipped this step. Furthermore, there's no buffing involved in this product, so you don't have to worry about dragging those small particles in your paint even if you do feel a slight roughness in your paint.
  3. Rinse vehicle heavily.
  4. While the vehicle is wet, spray about 2 - 3 squirts onto a panel. DON'T APPLY TOO MUCH. Simultaneously spread the product evenly and wipe that panel dry with a MF towel. Keep in mind that you don't need to buff anything, just wipe it dry.
  5. Repeat step 4 until you have done every panel on the car. Make sure that the panel you are working on has plenty of water - this product needs water to activate it and distribute evenly.
  6. Be mesmerized by the hydrophobic properties.
  7. Done!
For maintenance applications, all you have to do is wash your car, rinse, spray 2 - 3 squirts per panel, rinse top-down, and dry. This stuff is just so easy and doesn't take any elbow grease whatsoever. I like this product a lot too because it's so easy on the paint - no machining, no buffing. One bottle lasts quite a while too, I'm sure I could easily get 5 - 6 washes per bottle.

My biggest priority is defending against scratches against the brush while on the trails. I thought about ceramic coating or clear wrapping the car - both of which are expensive options (and not to mention toxic if you DIY ceramic coat). Hopefully this will provide a durable coat against minor scratches as I build up coats of this stuff every time I wash the truck. If you have any questions, let me know!

Ford Ranger Wax/Paint Protection 20190524_165108

Ford Ranger Wax/Paint Protection 20190524_165108

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My biggest priority is defending against scratches against the brush while on the trails.
This is my biggest priority as well. I'm a little leery of this product since it seems too easy - seems too good to be true. Wondering how well it will actually protect vs a real ceramic coat. I will be really interested to hear how it works for you. Please keep us updated on how it performs against brush.

Sponsored

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '86 FC RX-7
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
This is my biggest priority as well. I'm a little leery of this product since it seems too easy - seems too good to be true. Wondering how well it will actually protect vs a real ceramic coat. I will be really interested to hear how it works for you. Please keep us updated on how it performs against brush.
I plan to keep my truck for years (car payments suck - I need to get my money's worth lol) so if the truck gets some bruises while doing things that it was intended for I'm okay with that. A true ceramic coat/clear wrap will undoubtedly provide better protection, but for $15/bottle and ease of application? I'm willing to make that trade.

For sure, I'll update periodically! Planning to hit a local ORP this weekend so we'll see how it holds up :)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I plan to keep my truck for years (car payments suck - I need to get my money's worth lol) so if the truck gets some bruises while doing things that it was intended for I'm okay with that. A true ceramic coat/clear wrap will undoubtedly provide better protection, but for $15/bottle and ease of application? I'm willing to make that trade.

For sure, I'll update periodically! Planning to hit a local ORP this weekend so we'll see how it holds up :)
I'm the same - I kept my last Ranger for 14 years. My last Ranger had scratches down the side - I could hide them with some "scratch hider" and while it lasted it looked really good, but it wasn't permanent. One of the reasons I got the white - it shows those scratches less. But in the end, it is a truck and it is going to get scratched up. I'm just trying to limit it as much as I can.

I think I am going to wrap my headlights and tail lights in some sort of protective film, though. Both the headlights and tail lights are REALLY expensive if I had to replace them (tail lights are like $1200 a piece!). I did put a couple of scratches in the tail lights last time I was out. Nothing terrible, but I'd hate to break one. Plus the fact that they do stick out a bit from the body doesn't help at all either.

Interested to hear how this weekend goes.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '86 FC RX-7
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I think I am going to wrap my headlights and tail lights in some sort of protective film, though. Both the headlights and tail lights are REALLY expensive if I had to replace them (tail lights are like $1200 a piece!).
Actually that's a really good idea - I might do a DIY on that. Agreed that they're absurdly expensive...the only thing I'm bummed about the XLT is that you don't get the LED headlights. Someone looked at Ford parts to do a Lariat headlight swap and it came out to $3200 or so...it's crazy!

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually that's a really good idea - I might do a DIY on that. Agreed that they're absurdly expensive...the only thing I'm bummed about the XLT is that you don't get the LED headlights. Someone looked at Ford parts to do a Lariat headlight swap and it came out to $3200 or so...it's crazy!
I have the Lariat so my headlights are crazy expensive, but I think even the XLT lights are pretty insane. Spending a few $$ to try and protect them is money well spent I think. Scratches are one thing, but broken plastic is another. Funny anecdote - I remember many years ago when my uncle was complaining about a rear taillight for his car (Buick maybe?) cost him something like $25 and he thought that was ridiculous... :) My how times have changed....

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '86 FC RX-7
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
I have the Lariat so my headlights are crazy expensive, but I think even the XLT lights are pretty insane. Spending a few $$ to try and protect them is money well spent I think. Scratches are one thing, but broken plastic is another. Funny anecdote - I remember many years ago when my uncle was complaining about a rear taillight for his car (Buick maybe?) cost him something like $25 and he thought that was ridiculous... :) My how times have changed....
$25!! Haha and I bet all you needed was a Philip's screw driver...
Sponsored