• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Why are you waiting for a 2023 Ranger instead of buying a current model mid-size truck?

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I’m sure many of us are active across the various forums and thought it might be insightful for others to share the single biggest reason why they are not buying a 2021 or 2022 mid-size truck?
My primary reason for not purchasing:
Ranger: Dated platform
Tacoma: rear seat misery
GM Twins: car interiors
22 Frontier: rear seat comfort
Ridgeline: low ground clearance
Gladiator: solid front axle issues

What I want to see in 23 Ranger
Solid Powertrain (2.3 and 2.7 option), updated tech/safety from Bronco, off-road suspension and tire package, 7k towing, 1600 lb payload, fully functional rear seat (fold up/down) with some rear rake and leg room as well as rear armrest, A/C vents, and USB. Comfortable front seats with 6 way power driver/passenger, lumbar, telescopic/ tilt steering, and skid plates.
Please explain what you
I’m sure many of us are active across the various forums and thought it might be insightful for others to share the single biggest reason why they are not buying a 2021 or 2022 mid-size truck?

Solid Powertrain (2.3 and 2.7 option), updated tech/safety from Bronco, off-road suspension and tire package, 7k towing, 1600 lb payload, fully functional rear seat (fold up/down) with some rear rake and leg room as well as rear armrest, A/C vents, and USB. Comfortable front seats with 6 way power driver/passenger, lumbar, telescopic/ tilt steering, and skid plates.
View attachment 37819

Please explain the "Ranger: Dated platform" please, thanks.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5th Gen 4Runner
I'm not.

I'm leasing a 2021 Ranger Tremor because I am waiting on the new Ranger. I leased it for 4 years with the hope that the new ranger would come out with an hybrid version by the time the lease is up.

Reactions: Doc

Frosty 2019

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
I heard that Toyota has a chip for their trucks, I would never buy another Tacoma, I had one and it was junk! The transmission was no good. I live in flat Illinois, and the trans shifted back and forth on the interstate

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently driving a Focus ST, the current Ranger clearly has bullet-proof mechanics but the interior is too similar (and dated) to my ST...and after seeing the new Bronco & Maverick features I'm excited to see that in a Ranger. The incoming QOL features with the truck bed, the nicer interior and infotainment (sync 4.0) just seems too good to pass up if I was to buy a ranger at current prices. The fx4 / Tremor is very tempting, though.

I'm not in any hurry to buy a truck even though I could sell my ST for what I paid in 2017. The market seems to say that used car prices will stay up well into the future and given the ST isn't produced anymore, I'm not too worried about the selling price going down by the time I'm ready to get a next-gen ranger.'

I'm also interested in seeing what GMC/Toyota/Chevy come out with for their next-gens that are rumored for 2022/2023. If I was buying now the choice is easily a Ranger, but who knows what the future will be.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
This is going to sound a bit off the wall but what I would have preferred Ford do would have been to continue the design effort they started and then cancelled with the Bronco pickup. They could have given us the Bronco pickup instead of a Ranger at all. Think about it.

The rest of the world already gets and needs both the Ranger and the Everest. We really wouldn't need either of those if we had a Bronco pickup and a Bronco SUV. There is enough of a market for, say 60,000 units, of something to fit in between the F-150 and Maverick but not pirate sales from either of those which is what Ford seems to be so concerned about with the Ranger.

A Bronco pickup would have available all of the same features and options as the Bronco SUV but with the addition of a smaller bed than the F-150 but bigger than that of the Maverick. Plant efficiency at MAP would also go up because most of the body would be shared between the SUV and the pickup versus what they have now with two completely different bodies. That's exactly what Jeep does with the Wrangler and Gladiator, right?

Imagine what it would be like to have a removable top, the Sasquatch package, 2.7L EB, four doors and a five foot bed all with Bronco sheet metal and suspension? Instead of that we're probably going to get about the same as what we have with a Maverick grill.

Ford Ranger Why are you waiting for a 2023 Ranger instead of buying a current model mid-size truck? Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 6.58.03 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
This is going to sound a bit off the wall but what I would have preferred Ford do would have been to continue the design effort they started and then cancelled with the Bronco pickup. They could have given us the Bronco pickup instead of a Ranger at all. Think about it.

The rest of the world already gets and needs both the Ranger and the Everest. We really wouldn't need either of those if we had a Bronco pickup and a Bronco SUV. There is enough of a market for, say 60,000 units, of something to fit in between the F-150 and Maverick but not pirate sales from either of those which is what Ford seems to be so concerned about with the Ranger.

A Bronco pickup would have available all of the same features and options as the Bronco SUV but with the addition of a smaller bed than the F-150 but bigger than that of the Maverick. Plant efficiency at MAP would also go up because most of the body would be shared between the SUV and the pickup versus what they have now with two completely different bodies. That's exactly what Jeep does with the Wrangler and Gladiator, right?

Imagine what it would be like to have a removable top, the Sasquatch package, 2.7L EB, four doors and a five foot bed all with Bronco sheet metal and suspension? Instead of that we're probably going to get about the same as what we have with a Maverick grill.
I take long trips in our Ranger and value a comfortable and quiet highway ride while towing the boat. I don't think a Bronco pickup would compare well in that regard. The Bronco is a cool vehicle but it would not match up well to our lifestyle and needs. If Ford dropped the Ranger in North America I would be forced to consider a GM midsize.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
I don't want anything in that last paragraph lol (@blk). I want a modern, efficient, capable truck that's bigger than the Mav and smaller than the f-150 :)

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
I'm a little annoyed. I should have bought something else then the 2020 Ranger, some cheaper
intermediate vehicle. I'm waiting for the PHEV. if I don't lose too much $$$ on a trade & the specs
are good I'm trading.
I love this truck regardless.

OHTREMOR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black Lariat Tremor

Didnt wait. Bought a 21 Lariat Tremor last month. My 2018 Canyon Denali with 68k miles was having the famous tranny shutter issues. They fixed it by changing the fluid. Not a long term fix in my opinion. Steering box replaced at 22k, transfer case issues at 50k. Back up camera started to flutter the day I traded it in.
Wanted to wait to see the new Ranger but I traded the GMC in while I could still get a pretty penny for it.
I’m in great shape $$ wise on my new truck and really like it so far. Will definitely be in the market when the new Ranger hits the U.S. in 2023. I had four Rangers back in the day and this one is my favorite by far.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I’m considering ditching the 2023 NA Ranger for a Bronco… idk i keep going back and forth…
The ranger is the more practical option… but I really want a bronco.
Guess if i order now i have a 6-12 month wait, so might as well put an order in and roll the dice…

Sponsored

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I’m considering ditching the 2023 NA Ranger for a Bronco… idk i keep going back and forth…
The ranger is the more practical option… but I really want a bronco.
Guess if i order now i have a 6-12 month wait, so might as well put an order in and roll the dice…
I'm kind of in the same boat, except I already have a Bronco on "order". It's currently code 99'd because I wanted the white Modular top, but that looks like it's delayed until 2023.

I'm a day one reservation holder and wanted a Bronco like this since the last of the 1G's rolled off the lots. But the towing is not where I would like it to be and when I start to think of all the practicality I have to give up, I think 6G Ranger.

My current '08 Ranger is in great shape, but since there are some deals on the '21 Rangers, I almost bought one to run it for a year or two to help determine if I go ahead with the Bronco or wait for a 2023/24 Ranger.

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I'm kind of in the same boat, except I already have a Bronco on "order". It's currently code 99'd because I wanted the white Modular top, but that looks like it's delayed until 2023.

I'm a day one reservation holder and wanted a Bronco like this since the last of the 1G's rolled off the lots. But the towing is not where I would like it to be and when I start to think of all the practicality I have to give up, I think 6G Ranger.

My current '08 Ranger is in great shape, but since there are some deals on the '21 Rangers, I almost bought one to run it for a year or two to help determine if I go ahead with the Bronco or wait for a 2023/24 Ranger.
Yea I think I’m going to order a Bronco and just see what happens with the NA Ranger..
I will hold out for a the 2.7, MIC hard top and tow package. Which the hardtop and tow are all in very short supply.
i figured if i order this week or next it will take 9-12 months to get it if they ramped up production as they say they will… I’m hoping the NA Ranger debuts this fall.

the ranger is the practical choice, but the Bronco is what i want haha so i am torn. If the NA launches with a PHEV or powerboost style option i would probably cancel my Bronco order but who knows what will happen at launch.

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Waiting for the whole next crop- I have my first AT vehicle in several years and I'm not loving it. In the next 2 years, we are supposed to get:
A new Ranger, that might just have a 7spd/Turbo motor.
A new Tacoma, probably also with a turbo-4, MT is a big question mark. Needs a bigger back seat.
Mid-cycle Gladiator should be getting the Hurricane and 4xe powertrains.
Colorado will have the L3B Turbo-4/10spd.

Labradorguy

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I bought a Bronco First Edition…but also have a deposit in for a Ranger Raptor.

The Bronco is great and, in my opinion, leaps and bounds ahead of a Wrangler.

However, for me, it wasn’t practical. Not a flat back seat when the seats are down. It’s loud. I could go on. Sure, you can take the top off…but past that, I didn’t see much value…for me. With that said, the big driver was $$$$. I could make nearly $25,000 if I sold it…so I did…8 days later.

I have my name on a Bronco Raptor and a Ranger Raptor. I think a Ranger Raptor will tick all the boxes for me. We shall see. I will continue to drive my crummy company car…until I find the right vehicle.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 MINI Cooper S Modified
Occupation
Big Toy Designer
Buy 2019 mid size trucks because full sized trucks are getting too big...buy 2023 mid size because 2019 mid size trucks are too small...there's a meme there somewhere lol...
Sponsored