• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
We have some insider confirmed information about the next generation Ford Ranger, which we'll keep updated in this sticky thread as we learn more.

2022 RANGER (P703 - Global) PRODUCTION TIMELINE:
  • Launches globally first, starting with Thailand first, then Australia (May 2022)

2023 RANGER (P703N - U.S. Version) PRODUCTION TIMELINE:
  • Final design approval achieved in early 2019.
  • 2024 Ranger Order Banks Open April 17, 2023 (confirmed).
  • Job 1 Production begins on May 1, 2023 July 10, 2023 at Michigan Assembly Plant (MAP) (confirmed).
  • OK-To-Buy (OKTB) should be achieved in July 2023
  • Official launch (sales/dealer stock) set for July 3, 2023 sometime in August/September 2023.
  • Next-gen Ranger Raptor will also be available in 2023 (confirmed)
  • Production life ends April 2031.

As usual, these dates are subject to change.
Sponsored

Last edited:

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Oof, I was expecting it Q4 2022. That's super deflating if true, as I can't wait THAT long. Might have to look at the competition :(

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Maybe Ford's doing a bit opposite to the Bronco Debut. Trying not to make promises they can't meet. At least the Ranger is proven. I hope !
A lot of shit has happened and is still going on.
Hopefully, the supply chain will become stable and Ford can focus on making a good product. Wasn't that a Ford slogan Quality Job One !.
I think that was a Lee Iacocca.
Ford's has a lot on their plate. Three brand new launches. Maverick, Bronco Sport and Bronco.

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Interesting, I've been told May 2022 into dealers in Australia. So a full 12 months ahead of the US. Orders for the current model are approaching turn off time, especially for the Raptor. People are being turned away by dealers now because there are no more productions slots available.

Reactions: Doc

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
4 years from final design approval to production seems like a very LONG time. But maybe they are just hedging their bets due to all the issues with the current launches. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder how long the 2023 order banks will stay open? I knew there was a 2022, but now it appears there will be a 2023 as well - at least a partial year.

Carmaker1

First Name
Dr. J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple Fords, BMWs, JLR, Toyotas
Occupation
Product Development
4 years from final design approval to production seems like a very LONG time. But maybe they are just hedging their bets due to all the issues with the current launches. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I wonder how long the 2023 order banks will stay open? I knew there was a 2022, but now it appears there will be a 2023 as well - at least a partial year.
That used to be Ford standard back in the day, whereas today it is not very typical, but everything has slipped unfortunately. At Mercedes-Benz for example, the newest S-Class design was finalized in late 2016 and went on sale in early 2021. Ditto for the previous S-Class (W222) final design, finished in 2009 and launched in July 2013. The latest P702 F-150, reached final approval on November 17 of 2017 and entered dealers last December (2020). 37 months.

Newest Bronco? 34 months from July 2018 final design approval to May 2021 first units.

The basic design of the P703 was set in early 2019, which is when you saw it first leaked from AUS. It was about to be signed off IIRC, scheduled for late 2021 launch. Target was 33-36 months from styling buck to line-off ceremony. It has now become more than 36 months for Australia, while USDM P703N version's changes were something completed much later during late 2019-early 2020. However, it is still the same basic design, which was set in February of 2019 and reviewed in clinics during January 2019. Other than very minor details, such as bumpers and some trim work.

Even though I work for only one, I have made it a personal hobby to know the story behind every manufacturer or vehicle of interest to me and nailing down these timelines, to make sense of why and better understanding the environmental influences that produced such a result.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
I hate to hear this!…. I feel like I’ve been sucker punched in the gut! I’m not sure how much longer I’m willing to wait since my ‘02 F-150 SuperCrew was purchased new almost 20 years ago! I’d be driving a new Ranger now if it was offered in a SuperCrew/Longbed configuration. That’s what I’m holding out for. Just waiting to get word from Ford if this configuration is going to be available in ‘23??? If not, I guess I’ll finally concede and settle on a Tacoma who does offer this configuration. It would be a shame too since the 5th Gen. Ranger is overall a better truck. The next gen. Ranger is going to have to absolutely blow me a way to make me wait two more years. Argh!!!! ?

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to hear this!…. I feel like I’ve been sucker punched in the gut! I’m not sure how much longer I’m willing to wait since my ‘02 F-150 SuperCrew was purchased new almost 20 years ago! I’d be driving a new Ranger now if it was offered in a SuperCrew/Longbed configuration. That’s what I’m holding out for. Just waiting to get word from Ford if this configuration is going to be available in ‘23??? If not, I guess I’ll finally concede and settle on a Tacoma who does offer this configuration. It would be a shame too since the 5th Gen. Ranger is overall a better truck. The next gen. Ranger is going to have to absolutely blow me a way to make me wait two more years. Argh!!!! ?
Just a different perspective on this one - I thought that having the short bed was going to be a BIG deal for me (I use my truck as a truck and haul a fair amount of stuff with it), but after almost 2 1/2 years, it really hasn't been. I bought a bed extender which I've only used twice. The depth of the bed helps with the length (although I get that doesn't help with long lumber, etc). In those cases where you REALLY need a little longer bed, the bed extender actually makes the bed a bit longer than 6'. For me, it has been a good compromise. I would PREFER a crew cab with a 6' bed, but it hasn't turned out to be nearly as big of a deal as I had thought.

Sponsored

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Just a different perspective on this one - I thought that having the short bed was going to be a BIG deal for me (I use my truck as a truck and haul a fair amount of stuff with it), but after almost 2 1/2 years, it really hasn't been. I bought a bed extender which I've only used twice. The depth of the bed helps with the length (although I get that doesn't help with long lumber, etc). In those cases where you REALLY need a little longer bed, the bed extender actually makes the bed a bit longer than 6'. For me, it has been a good compromise. I would PREFER a crew cab with a 6' bed, but it hasn't turned out to be nearly as big of a deal as I had thought.
I’ve had a 5.5’ bed for almost 20 years and the whole time missed the 6’ bed I had on my ‘94 Ranger SuperCab (my previous vehicle). Besides mulch and topsoil runs, I also do a bunch of camping and backpacking with a large Boy Scout Troop. I need every bit of volume at times and often use my bed extender.

My big issue with a bed extender is not being able to utilize the 2” receiver hitch when the tailgate is down. I’m also a Mtn biker and with a 6’ bed, can put bikes in the bed (with tailgate up) and use the hitch to use a 4 bike carrier as well. I’m also a paddler (SUP and kayak)… Same goes with kayaks in the bed (tailgate up). I’m considering a small teardrop camper for overland camping too. Tailgate up to use of the hitch is a must.

I’m sticking to a midsize for ease of parking in the big city and narrow backcountry fire roads. This shortcoming is very much a deal breaker for me. With ALL of the BoF competition offering this configuration, I sure hope Ford doesn’t skip this part of the market share.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve had a 5.5’ bed for almost 20 years and the whole time missed the 6’ bed I had on my ‘94 Ranger SuperCab (my previous vehicle). Besides mulch and topsoil runs, I also do a bunch of camping and backpacking with a large Boy Scout Troop. I need every bit of volume at times and often use my bed extender.

My big issue with a bed extender is not being able to utilize the 2” receiver hitch when the tailgate is down. I’m also a Mtn biker and with a 6’ bed, can put bikes in the bed (with tailgate up) and use the hitch to use a 4 bike carrier as well. I’m also a paddler (SUP and kayak)… Same goes with kayaks in the bed (tailgate up). I’m considering a small teardrop camper for overland camping too. Tailgate up to use of the hitch is a must.

I’m sticking to a midsize for ease of parking in the big city and narrow backcountry fire roads. This shortcoming is very much a deal breaker for me. With ALL of the BoF competition offering this configuration, I sure hope Ford doesn’t skip this part of the market share.
For the mulch and topsoil (and firewood), I think the depth of the bed helps offset the length. It is a very deep bed. I used to do Boy Scout trips as well, so I understand needing as much volume as possible.

All good points - as I said - for me, it wasn't nearly as big of a deal as I thought it would be. I certainly hope the next gen model has a longbed option for the crew cab. It would be a great truck even better.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Maybe Ford finally realizes they can't deliver all these new vehicles with all the parts constraints going on now. As much as I'd like to see it launched earlier I'm glad they're waiting another year. They've already had horrendous launches with the Expedition and the Bronco and the last thing they need Is bad press from another botched launch. Hopefully by then the new chip factories here in AZ will be up and running so they/we won't be so dependent on overseas manufacturers.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Maybe Ford finally realizes they can't deliver all these new vehicles with all the parts constraints going on now. As much as I'd like to see it launched earlier I'm glad they're waiting another year. They've already had horrendous launches with the Expedition and the Bronco and the last thing they need Is bad press from another botched launch. Hopefully by then the new chip factories here in AZ will be up and running so they/we won't be so dependent on overseas manufacturers.
They need to update their vehicle designs and stop using outdated silicon, rather than build more outdated chips. It's not an issue of overseas or domestic production, it's an issue of the parts they use being old and unprofitable to chip makers so they receive low priority.
Sponsored

Last edited: