• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Oof, I was expecting it Q4 2022. That's super deflating if true, as I can't wait THAT long. Might have to look at the competition :(
Pick up a 2021 Ranger and trade it when this comes out. I've been leasing my 2019 Ranger lariat since Feb 2019. Will Buy it Off Lease in Feb 2022 and trade when I find my 6Gen Ranger available!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Pick up a 2021 Ranger and trade it when this comes out. I've been leasing my 2019 Ranger lariat since Feb 2019. Will Buy it Off Lease in Feb 2022 and trade when I find my 6Gen Ranger available!
I'm not about the flipper lifestyle, lol. I just want to custom build my forever car and get it straight from the factory and be done with it like I did with Subaru 8 years ago :)

it's up to Ford to release before the competition.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
I know my opinion won't be popular with the Ranger crowd and I used to be in that camp myself. The very fact that Ford has two F-150 plants that they need to keep running at full capacity does not help when it comes to their decisions on Ranger production and options. They also build the Bronco in the only plant where they build Rangers in the US. Both of those vehicles offer potentially higher profit margins than the Ranger which means the Ranger takes a back seat. It's simple economics. Ford is not going to jeopardize production of either of those two vehicles in favor of the Ranger. It's a completely different story in other markets where neither the F-150 nor the Bronco are available. On the other hand, I seriously doubt we would even be able to buy a Ranger in North America if it were not for the Bronco.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I know my opinion won't be popular with the Ranger crowd and I used to be in that camp myself. The very fact that Ford has two F-150 plants that they need to keep running at full capacity does not help when it comes to their decisions on Ranger production and options. They also build the Bronco in the only plant where they build Rangers in the US. Both of those vehicles offer potentially higher profit margins than the Ranger which means the Ranger takes a back seat. It's simple economics. Ford is not going to jeopardize production of either of those two vehicles in favor of the Ranger. It's a completely different story in other markets where neither the F-150 nor the Bronco are available. On the other hand, I seriously doubt we would even be able to buy a Ranger in North America if it were not for the Bronco.
Yes valid point. Although, Ford does seem to want to compete and take a large market share in NA for the mid size truck. It seems it will be along time before a EV Ranger comes out. The new frontal shape of the Ranger seems to lean towards creating more space in the engine compartment for varying engines. I hope in the 8 year run of the 6G an EV does come.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do we have any dates on when the RoW Ranger will be configurable on Ford's website?

Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat
Yes valid point. Although, Ford does seem to want to compete and take a large market share in NA for the mid size truck. It seems it will be along time before a EV Ranger comes out. The new frontal shape of the Ranger seems to lean towards creating more space in the engine compartment for varying engines. I hope in the 8 year run of the 6G an EV does come.
Ford is hedging their bet with the F150 Lightning. Creating an EV pickup on an existing chassis reduces risk and cost. It’s a half-measure, which will not alienate their traditional light truck customers. Ford is a Rivian stakeholder, and may look in that direction for a ground-up engineering model. The current Ranger has so little history in the North American market, that Ford could phase it out in favor of a fresh design. A small EV pickup, especially first-to-market, seems like a winner. I would buy one.

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
Ford is hedging their bet with the F150 Lightning. Creating an EV pickup on an existing chassis reduces risk and cost. It’s a half-measure, which will not alienate their traditional light truck customers. Ford is a Rivian stakeholder, and may look in that direction for a ground-up engineering model. The current Ranger has so little history in the North American market, that Ford could phase it out in favor of a fresh design. A small EV pickup, especially first-to-market, seems like a winner. I would buy one.
I may be wrong, but I believe the Lightning chassis is unique to that product. The Lightning only resembles the F150, and very little is shared between them. I think the main reason it looks the same is to share existing F150 accessories, and also, as you mentioned, to avoid alienating traditional customers.

Personally, I don't understand the interest in EV trucks, unless they're used for fleet vehicles. I only use my truck occasionally off-road or towing, but from everything I've seen, EV's lose 1/2 to 2/3 of their range under these conditions When travelling, I don't want to spend a third of my trip charging up, or wondering if I'll have enough range. Maybe once solid state batteries are mainstream and significantly more charging infrastructure is in place, but definitely not now.

Don't know if you caught the article on the Rivian employee who moved from Michigan to CA towing his Mustang behind his Rivian truck and had to stop nearly every 100 miles to charge up. On top of that, most charging stations are not set up for two vehicles.
https://insideevs.com/news/552133/rivian-r1t-towed-2700miles/

That said, I really like the idea of a HEV or PHEV Ranger, particularly with the built in generator onboard.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4x4 SuperCrew Lariat
Interesting EV pickup discussion here. Some discussion of Lightning parts commonality with gas/hybrid F150.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I was wondering what Ford has invested recently into the Michigan Wayne Plant. Does anyone have more info on how the plant has been revamped or has implemented new technologies to assemble the 6G Ranger and Bronco. I was wondering what they have upgrade to start assembling the PHEV's. This article Ford Bronco is Back! Production Kicks Off at Revamped, Upgraded Michigan Assembly Plant; Shipments Begin | Ford Media Center say's
  • Ford has invested $750 million and added approximately 2,700 direct jobs at the Michigan Assembly Plant to build the sixth-generation Bronco
  • A 1.7 million square foot Modification Center, adjacent to Michigan Assembly Plant, will offer Bronco two- and four-door model customizations including safari bar, roof racks, exterior graphic packages and additional accessories as more are added to the catalog
I am presuming the Ranger accessories will also be added at this new building.

Sponsored

Ranger Guy

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Accord Sedan
I just joined the forum as I am interested in the 6th Gen Ranger as a future vehicle as I have always admired the idea of driving a pickup truck. I am more interested in the new Ford Maverick but this is interesting as well.

This insider estimate of the new rangers built and announcement times coming in 2023 was quite the surprise as I am sure a lot of us in North American were hopping to see it revealed in 2022.

Last edited:

CJay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Engineer
I just joined the forum as I am interested in the 6th Gen Ranger as a future vehicle as I have always admired the idea of driving a pickup truck. I am more interested in the new Ford Maverick but this is interesting as well. This insider estimate of the new rangers built and announcement times coming in 2023 was quite the surprise as I am sure a lot of in North American where hopping to see it revealed in 2022.
Welcome!
Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
The Maverick is a little to light for my needs, but I think it is a great option for a lot of people.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
I just joined the forum as I am interested in the 6th Gen Ranger as a future vehicle as I have always admired the idea of driving a pickup truck. I am more interested in the new Ford Maverick but this is interesting as well. This insider estimate of the new rangers built and announcement times coming in 2023 was quite the surprise as I am sure a lot of in North American where hopping to see it revealed in 2022.
"Revealed", "starting production", and "delivery" are different things. Many vehicles, especially these days, get revealed/showed to the public for the first time many months before production starts. So a 2022 reveal of the US/Canada 6g Ranger is very likely. But the production start date of Spring 2023 is also not out of the realm despite that. And that would mean Rangers in the hands of customers in early Summer 2023 (weeks to a month after P1) based on that date.

phxpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mazda Miata
I'm interested in finding out if North America will have a hybrid version. It's available on the US F150 and Maverick. Next logical step for all Ford trucks in NA to have hybrid as an option

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I'm interested in finding out if North America will have a hybrid version. It's available on the US F150 and Maverick. Next logical step for all Ford trucks in NA to have hybrid as an option
What we have heard from Ford is that the PHEV Ranger will come matched with the 2.3L Eco Boost. it will not come out with the Ranger NA launch.
Sponsored