• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
I’m considering ditching the Powerboost for an XLT Ranger and then retrofitting the one or two goodies I want from the higher trim levels.

IMO after a 2.5 years in a 502a F150 and 6 years in a 2017 501a F150 I find most of the safety technology crammed in Fords are a nuisance. Even for us Costco-commuting city-folk, the technology can be a common (albeit momentarily), hindrance in everyday commuting. Simple tasks like opening the tailgate and waiting for it to make sure it’s safe, is painfully-dumb, especially when trying to load tools in god awful weather. In the F150 there’s no way to disable it even with ForScan other than physically disconnecting the RGTM clutch. Luckily the new Ranger doesn’t have that nonsense.

Having the emergency brakes slam on out of nowhere to avoid backing into some dandelions is heart attack inducing lol, but I know how to permanently disable it.

So luckily I’ve been able to disable most of the useless tech in the F150 but not all of it.

The Ranger as a city truck is very appealing for it’s physical size. Once upon a time I had a 2003 Ranger which compared to all my other vehicles has been the best truck I’ve owned for everyday use.

The new Lariat Ranger looks like a great step down from the Powerboost but the beep-at-everything package is equipped by default and to me that’s a drawback.
Also cloth seats are just better.

Getting an XLT 301 is the most reasonable one for my tastes, then retrofitting what I want into it like the heated steering wheel.

Retrofitting parts in Fords is relatively easy to do. My best advice is don’t get suckered into spending more for an entire package just to add one feature.

I am holding back for now, mainly because I have no confidence in the way the car market is going. I half expect steep incentives after the first few months and believe there’s a big savings to be had by waiting half a year.

What bugs me at the moment is I looked at the order guide and don’t see the 2.7L as an option.

I thought it was announced as one?

Am I missing something?
2.7 is coming later
Sponsored

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor and 24 Bronco Sport OBX
I’m considering ditching the Powerboost for an XLT Ranger and then retrofitting the one or two goodies I want from the higher trim levels.

IMO after a 2.5 years in a 502a F150 and 6 years in a 2017 501a F150 I find most of the safety technology crammed in Fords are a nuisance. Even for us Costco-commuting city-folk, the technology can be a common (albeit momentarily), hindrance in everyday commuting. Simple tasks like opening the tailgate and waiting for it to make sure it’s safe, is painfully-dumb, especially when trying to load tools in god awful weather. In the F150 there’s no way to disable it even with ForScan other than physically disconnecting the RGTM clutch. Luckily the new Ranger doesn’t have that nonsense.

Having the emergency brakes slam on out of nowhere to avoid backing into some dandelions is heart attack inducing lol, but I know how to permanently disable it.

So luckily I’ve been able to disable most of the useless tech in the F150 but not all of it.

The Ranger as a city truck is very appealing for it’s physical size. Once upon a time I had a 2003 Ranger which compared to all my other vehicles has been the best truck I’ve owned for everyday use.

The new Lariat Ranger looks like a great step down from the Powerboost but the beep-at-everything package is equipped by default and to me that’s a drawback.

Getting an XLT 301 is the most reasonable one for my tastes, then retrofitting what I want into it like the heated steering wheel.

Retrofitting parts in Fords is relatively easy to do. My best advice is don’t get suckered into spending more for an entire package just to add one feature.

I am holding back for now, mainly because I have no confidence in the way the car market is going. I half expect steep incentives after the first few months and believe there’s a big savings to be had by waiting half a year.

What bugs me at the moment is I looked at the order guide and don’t see the 2.7L as an option.

Am I missing something?
2.7 is late availability, likely job 2. They are not going to overproduce like the old days, so the days of big incentives, barring an economic meltdown, are gone. The retail order is going to be more and more common with little in stock inventories.

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Am I missing something?
The Ranger is large enough and capable enough for a good number of people. And is more maneuverable and easier to park in town. For those using them as everyday vehicles and don't need large work trucks, they are the perfect size.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
While the factory spray in bedliner is a great choice, if you have the money to do it after you take delivery, most people on the forums say a proper line-x/spray in liner is a better quality product overall.
After getting a few Ford factory & dealer options, I will never buy OEM again, on any item that is commonly available aftermarket. Chances are, you'll pay more getting OEM and the quality won't be as good.
I always add a bed mat on top of my spray-in liner too as added protection. I'm going with factory liner, for factory warranty. easier to take it one place for any issues.
The weird thing is, on every build I've ever done, I can never order the bed mat with any bedliner. Always thought it was odd, that they'd stop you from spending more money.
Same boat. The ZR2 has it and is $10K less than the raptor. The Tacoma also has it (full spec leaked today).
Well the ZR2 is a great truck, (I've been eyeing it up myself) it can't be compared to a Raptor. It's not in the same league. And you can't compare base pricing. My ZR2 builds all add up to about $52k and it's still missing options the RR has.
What really surprised me with the RR was that Ford pretty much fully optioned it at the base price. I thought for sure, you'd have to add $7~10 in options to get a reasonably loaded truck. The RR is priced the same as an AT4x. Compared to that, the RR is a bargain. And I'll bet the Turd Pro will be more. Now after saying all that, I'll be shocked if Ford ever produces enough RR's that they'll sell for less than MSRP, but I fully expect that this time next year, the AT4x (& ZR2) could be found for less.

Last edited:

Rangeover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
After getting a few Ford factory & dealer options, I will never buy OEM again, on any item that is commonly available aftermarket. Chances are, you'll pay more getting OEM and the quality won't be as good.
The weird thing is, on every build I've ever done, I can never order the bed mat with any bedliner.
Well the ZR2 is a great truck, (I've been eyeing it up myself) it can't be compared to a Raptor. It's not in the same league. And you can't compare base pricing. My ZR2 builds all add up to about $52k and it's still missing options the RR has.
A ZR2 can’t be compared to a Ranger Raptor? Wait aren’t they 2 mid size trucks in their most off road possible variant, both of them on 33 tires with excellent off road suspensions, skid plates, dual locker etc? If those two vehicle cannot be compared, then I don’t know any vehicles that can be…

Which options is missing on the ZR2? The Raptor is missing ventilated seats, which is important to me.

At this point I am really torn between the raptor, ZR2 or trailhunter. Waiting for the Trailhunter and Bison payload and price info before I make a final judgement.
The 3 of them have excellent arguments.
The Tacoma has incredibly rich features (trailhunter with factory ARB bumpers, integrated air compressor, 2400W inverter, etc), the raptor is very powerful, and the ZR2 is a great price for the package not to mention the Bison brings things I really like like 35s.

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
The suspension...especially the rear suspension puts the RR in a different league than the ZR2. The Multimatic shocks are a great shock, but it'll never make up for the Watts link that Ford uses.
The ZR2 doesn't get a power sliding window, power passenger seat, pro-trailer backup, trail turn assist. Can't remember if the ZR2 has park assist. And of course the twins don't have as much power, and not as good suspension.

I fully agree, all three have their +/-'s. Personally I'm looking at all of them (and all models). Luckily, I'm a year out before buying, so I can see what happens with pricing. At the moment, (and it will change multiple times), I'm leaning towards a 2.7l Lariat, FX4 (with mods) or a ZR2.

Edit: If you buy the Bison option, you'll be priced higher than a Raptor. At that point, why would you get a ZR2 over the RR.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Edit: If you buy the Bison option, you'll be priced higher than a Raptor. At that point, why would you get a ZR2 over the RR.
Availability. I'm sure it will be much easier to get into a Bison. Also, they won't have the markups that the RR will, so price may be about the same or cheaper.

Cnyce413

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger FX4
Occupation
Dpw
Hey guys, I got a 19 fx4 and have been waiting like a kid on Xmas eve for the raptor to release.. the dealer called and wants me to come in first thing Friday to place my order.. said I'm at the top of the list. Does this actually mean I'll get one? Or is this going to he a thing that I'm waiting for a year +?

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys, I got a 19 fx4 and have been waiting like a kid on Xmas eve for the raptor to release.. the dealer called and wants me to come in first thing Friday to place my order.. said I'm at the top of the list. Does this actually mean I'll get one? Or is this going to he a thing that I'm waiting for a year +?
Depends on how many they order as allocation is only 1 initially.

I'm getting my dealer's 1 and don't expect to see it until after the new yr. If you don't get their first one, it's going to be a long wait, likely.

Cnyce413

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger FX4
Occupation
Dpw
Depends on how many they order as allocation is only 1 initially.

I'm getting my dealer's 1 and don't expect to see it until after the new yr. If you don't get their first one, it's going to be a long wait, likely.
My local dealer has 1 and its mine, but they're a smaller dealer...one of the larger dealers in western mass has at least one and said I'm top of there list. Does it matter where I go? Or would one dealer get there's faster?

Sponsored

Rangeover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
The suspension...especially the rear suspension puts the RR in a different league than the ZR2. The Multimatic shocks are a great shock, but it'll never make up for the Watts link that Ford uses.
The ZR2 doesn't get a power sliding window, power passenger seat, pro-trailer backup, trail turn assist. Can't remember if the ZR2 has park assist. And of course the twins don't have as much power, and not as good suspension.

I fully agree, all three have their +/-'s. Personally I'm looking at all of them (and all models). Luckily, I'm a year out before buying, so I can see what happens with pricing. At the moment, (and it will change multiple times), I'm leaning towards a 2.7l Lariat, FX4 (with mods) or a ZR2.

to each his own, for me ventilated seats are more important than any of those features that I don’t need.

I don’t agree on the Bison. 35s with the appropriate gearing + DSSV long travel + hydraulic bump stops is way superior offroad than the raptor for me.
the ZR2 as is has the exact same travel as the raptor. The DSSV tech is as good as fox live valves.
The Bison will be superior. Now yeah, if the Bison is more expensive than the raptor I would take the raptor.

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My local dealer has 1 and its mine, but they're a smaller dealer...one of the larger dealers in western mass has at least one and said I'm top of there list. Does it matter where I go? Or would one dealer get there's faster?
I dont think anyone knows that for sure. I'd go to the one you trust the most to be sure you actually get it.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
there's a good chance dealer is saying you are at the top of his "pre-order" callback list. He is likely giving you and everyone else on his list the same head's up courtesy call, not holding a place in line for your 1st refusal. Then they wait for the crowd to show up and actually place the order in a 1st come, 1st served order. My brother-in-law (and many others I've read on forums) was on such a call back list waiting for a refused Maverick locally. Dealer called him with no warning and said "your name is at the top of my list, please get down here ASAP if you want to claim it".

He was at work and just up & left with checkbook in hand and pre-approved financing too. Drove straight to dealer and as he got out of his old Ranger multiple other people arrived at same time who got same message. Some were yelling to salesman trying to outbid him for the truck. If he delayed at.all. getting to dealer ready to buy it would have been gone.

I'd be there 30 minutes before the doors open Friday morning and text/call the guy when you head out just to be safe.

Good Luck 🍀

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Availability. I'm sure it will be much easier to get into a Bison. Also, they won't have the markups that the RR will, so price may be about the same or cheaper.
I completely agree. I was just comparing MSRP pricing......and did state earlier that I believe the twins will be selling for less than MSRP next year.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
to each his own, for me ventilated seats are more important than any of those features that I don’t need.

I don’t agree on the Bison. 35s with the appropriate gearing + DSSV long travel + hydraulic bump stops is way superior offroad than the raptor for me.
the ZR2 as is has the exact same travel as the raptor. The DSSV tech is as good as fox live valves.
The Bison will be superior. Now yeah, if the Bison is more expensive than the raptor I would take the raptor.
Agree that everyone has their own preferences. The "right" truck is always person-specific.
"Offroad" is also person-specific, but my comparisons are based on how the RR is designed to be used off road. As a desert runner, I don't believe either of the twins could keep up.
Now, a Bison on 35's may very well be a better rock crawler.
Sponsored