• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I am really interested in what sort of front suspension setup the NA Ranger will have. Hopefully Ford is putting a multi leaf on the back like the one on the Tremor.

Its interesting the way the Bronco is setup. Wondering if some of this will trickle into the standard Ranger or is this Range Raptor equipment. I like the thicker rotors.

I looked for this link for a bit and finally found it again. Ford Bronco Suspension Deep Dive | 35-inch reasons to avoid Sasquatch (autoblog.com)
Ford Ranger All-New 2023 Ford Ranger (XL, XLS, XLT, Sport, Wildtrak) Global Reveal! 1638164314453
Sponsored

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
Don't get me wrong the 2.3L is a great motor that has been around since the Pinto. The Ranger does not have a dual injection system, just direct injected, no port injectors on the 5G. This is why its important to warm the engine up properly and run the motor hard occasionally to reduce the coking. Does any of the other Ford products run a turbo and a PHEV system. I would like the Ranger to last for over 10 years.
The 2.3L from the '80s was a completely different engine from the turbo engine in current use in multiple Fords, including the Ranger.

The 2021 F-150 PowerBoost uses the 3.5L EcoBoost V6 along with an electric motor in series with the torque converter. That's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison though since the 3.5 does use both port and direct injection.

I wouldn't be all that concerned about coking on the 2.3 in the Ranger. That generally is more of an issue under low-load conditions. With the amount of weight it has to carry around in the Ranger I doubt there will be all that many low-load episodes.

If you are that concerned you could also add an oil separator into the PCV system, if Ford hasn't already.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In response to all the comments about the lack of a long bed crew cab combination, the one saving grace may be that VW is also using this platform for the next Amarok and they may require that combination. Unfortunately, even if they do that might not help the NA market anyway since the Amarok will be assembled in South Africa, not Michigan. The other issue is that Ford is marketing the Ranger as more of a "lifestyle" vehicle for our market whereas in the ROW it is more of a work truck and a longer bed would probably be more popular on a true work truck. Most of those other markets don't have the option of moving up to an F-series.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree that since the Bronco already uses the 2.3 and 2.7 EBs and uses the same basic frame (albeit lengthened) as the 6G Ranger and is built in the same plant, it would seem there is no physical reason why Ford can't use the same drivetrain options in both.
However, and I'm not saying this will be true going forward, but Ford has NEVER used the same engine in the F-150 and Ranger. Never. That would seem to rule out the 2.7 being used in the Ranger. But, since the 3.0 EB is not used in the F-150, they might well use it in the Ranger in lieu of the 2.7. My guess is they probably will but it will only be available in the Raptor, assuming we are actually allowed to buy the Ranger Raptor here.
Some interesting facts concerning the 3.0 EB as used in the Explorer ST and Lincoln Aviator: The 3.0L EB is the same basic engine design as the 2.7L with the major differences being a larger bore diameter and a longer stroke crankshaft. They are both from the Nano engine family and use a CGI cylinder block with aluminum cylinder heads and aluminum lower block girdle. Both engines use the same cylinder heads which are somewhat unique in that there are no separate exhaust manifolds which means the turbos bolt directly to the cylinder heads. In the F-150, the 2.7L has used both port and direct injection since 2018 whereas in the current Explorer ST the 3.0L uses DI only.

Reactions: Doc

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Can you help me with what regions this covers. Yes I know this seems to be specifically AU. Is there a Ford Plant in AU. I think Ford just built a big factory for the Ranger in Indonesia. Does the Ranger hold much presents in Europe.

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Can you help me with what regions this covers. Yes I know this seems to be specifically AU. Is there a Ford Plant in AU. I think Ford just built a big factory for the Ranger in Indonesia. Does the Ranger hold much presents in Europe.
This launch covers everywhere except North America (Ranger is sold in over 180 countries). Ranger is built in multiple factories, Thailand (not Indonesia) for Asia and Australia, South Africa for Africa and Europe, and Argentina for South America. The engines are sourced from multiple locations also, Dagenham England makes the 3L and 2L diesels, South Africa is tooling up to make the 3L as well. Turkey made the old 3.2 diesel. There may be other locations building engines but I'm not across them all. Transmissions are all sourced from the US as I understand it.

Australia no longer has a Ford factory building production cars, but the Ford AU design centre is one of three globally for Ford, Detroit, Cologne and Melbourne are Ford's only remaining design houses. Ford AU also has a large Proving Ground at You Yang, and at the former Broadmeadows plant there is a prototyping factory to assist the design house. As Ford Australia designed the Ranger, Ford AU is the main location for the launch (and it helps that we love our utes, and our automotive media is pretty vocal).

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Ford has NEVER used the same engine in the F-150 and Ranger. Never. That would seem to rule out the 2.7 being used in the Ranger.
Until now Ford hasn't designed the Ranger. It was always a Mazda, hence Mazda engines. Ford Australia designed the current Ranger as the first in house design instead of using a Mazda vehicle (Mazda used the Ford basis to make the BT-50), this came out in 2010. Ford Australia designed the platform, and has designed the new Ranger, and had a major part in the US version also back in 2018. As they designed the platform, the Bronco will have had some Australian engineering in it too.

Also you might find both Nano engines in the new Ranger, depending on the trim level.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also you might find both Nano engines in the new Ranger, depending on the trim level.
Thanks for the history lesson on the ROW Ranger. I was referring to the North American version of the Ranger which, until 2019, had taken a completely different path including development and parts sourcing. Even the current version of the NA Ranger uses a completely different drivetrain from the ROW version and I fully expect that to continue going forward. As for The Nano V6's I certainly hope you are right but I'm not holding my breath. Based on past history I still believe that is a very big "might".

Sponsored

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Happy 1 year anniversary to the 6G Ranger unveiling. And yet nothing for the NA market…. The largest truck market in the world. Very disappointing and frustrating!!!

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
" The reveal models – the capable XL, versatile XLS, stylish XLT, rugged Sport and adventurer Wildtrak – reflect this customer input both inside and out. "

I wonder if we will get the XLS and Sport versions in NA?

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
My guess…
XL
XLT
Lariat
Tremor
Raptor

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
My guess…
XL
XLT
Lariat
Tremor
Raptor
Currently the Tremor is a package, not a trim level. I believe you can get an XLT Tremor or a Lariat Tremor. I suspect it will continue that way in the 6G, but at this point, we know nothing…. No drive train, cab/bed configurations or Trim level info!!! Only speculation for the NA market.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
You are correct, Tremor is a package like the FX4. Definitely speculation but looking at the normal configurations on other models there is some educated guesses but we don’t know what we don’t know.
Sponsored