• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Tagtexas

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Just going to wait until the 2.7L is available which should be about the same time the Toyota TRD off road shows up for real. I would like to see the Toyota and the Ranger in the flesh and then decide. Really like the looks of the Raptor but I am not going to race the Baja. I have to say Toyotas reveal (video) makes the Ford intro look pathetic.
Sponsored

Reactions: DHH

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
Just going to wait until the 2.7L is available which should be about the same time the Toyota TRD off road shows up for real. I would like to see the Toyota and the Ranger in the flesh and then decide. Really like the looks of the Raptor but I am not going to race the Baja. I have to say Toyotas reveal (video) makes the Ford intro look pathetic.
This is where I'm at as well. Wait for the 2.7 and the hybrid taco. Then test drive them back to back and make a determination. They seem comparable for my reasons, 2wd xlt or lariat vs 2wd sport

NEITHER have rear AC which is very disappointing

Last edited:

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
-6' bed option
-2400 watt generator onboard
-Gimbal system in the seats that prevents your head from bobbing while offroad
-45 watt fast charging USB ports
-Old Man Emu suspension from the factory
-ARB bumpers from the factory
-Front sway bar disconnect
-RIGID lights from the factory
-JBL removable Bluetooth audio that plays through the truck speakers when docked
-14" infotainment
-Snorkle
-Center dump high-flow exhaust
-Adaptive cruise and full safety suite on EVERY trim level standard equipment
-Exterior lights on the bedsides to help set up camp in the dark
-Air compressor connection in the bed
-Sunroof
-Factory rock sliders that support 2,000 lbs. of force
-Hybrid powertrain option that leads the class in torque and MPG at the same time

The guys at Ford just choked on their coffee. They're about to release a brand new truck that already looks 10 years old, and Toyota drops this bomb on them? Ouch.
I’d wait until we see prices. Tacos have always been stupid expensive. I can’t imagine now. And honestly the new taco just looks like a beefed up version of the frontier which already looked like an old taco. Hell even the rims on the taco look like the frontiers.

there’s also something to be said about the interior which is just hideous on all except may e the trailboss And that’s only going to appeal to a certain crowd

OP
OP

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
I’d wait until we see prices. Tacos have always been stupid expensive. I can’t imagine now. And honestly the new taco just looks like a beefed up version of the frontier which already looked like an old taco. Hell even the rims on the taco look like the frontiers.

there’s also something to be said about the interior which is just hideous on all except may e the trailboss And that’s only going to appeal to a certain crowd
well if the pre runner is cheaper the xl... Its over for ranger, people will just buy maverick instead if they want stay with ford. Already happening as of now...... literally everything a base truck guy would want is being offered with Toyota.. Which are the volume sellers.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
well if the pre runner is cheaper the xl... Its over for ranger, people will just buy maverick instead if they want stay with ford. Already happening as of now...... literally everything a base truck guy would want is being offered with Toyota.. Which are the volume sellers.
i mean others have it right. The ranger is a place holder and gateway truck to the f150. A Tacoma is meant to be Toyotas premier truck. It also Carrie’s their premier price tag. Honestly even with ventilated seats and sunroof and electric tail gate (only things I saw that I would want from the taco that the ranger didn’t have), I would probably never get one because I could t stand to look at that interior.

tacoma Wants young buyers. Ford is and always has marketed towards all ages

Sponsored
OP
OP

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i mean others have it right. The ranger is a place holder and gateway truck to the f150. A Tacoma is meant to be Toyotas premier truck. It also Carrie’s their premier price tag. Honestly even with ventilated seats and sunroof and electric tail gate (only things I saw that I would want from the taco that the ranger didn’t have), I would probably never get one because I could t stand to look at that interior.

tacoma Wants young buyers. Ford is and always has marketed towards all ages
Ford wants younger buyers . Maverick was their answer to that. Im still very very confused why they didnt copy and paste 2023 ranger from Australia. As far gateway comment buyers less likely buy f150 if they jump ship to toyota all together. If the ranger not holding sales. i don't like the future for rangers right now. The numbers on 2022,2023 are not good. Everyone said people just waiting for 2024. Im not sure thats the case anymore. There's too much competition now. Frontier, colorado looks to be cheaper options while Toyota has almost every optioned covered.

Last edited:

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Ford wants younger buyers . Maverick was their answer to that. Im still very very confused why they didnt copy and paste 2023 ranger from Australia. As far gateway comment buyers less likely buy f150 if they jump ship to toyota all together. If the ranger not holding sales. i don't like the future for rangers right now. The numbers on 2022,2023 are not good. Everyone said people just waiting for 2024. Im not sure thats the case anymore. There's too much coemption now. Frontier, colorado looks to be cheaper options while Toyota has almost every optioned covered.
Something else to keep in mind is these are pre production models being shown.

sure they want younger buyers but that’s not their design philosophy. They design to be more timeless than the other brands. It makes them look older than they are because they aren’t trendy. Unless of course you’re talking about the raptor

OP
OP

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something else to keep in mind is these are pre production models being shown.

sure they want younger buyers but that’s not their design philosophy. They design to be more timeless than the other brands. It makes them look older than they are because they aren’t trendy. Unless of course you’re talking about the raptor
True not the final product . If were just comparing what has came out ford was really conservative with ranger while Toyota just showed everything they are going to offer. With economy being iffy as it is i think people will try stretch their dollar as much possible even more now. So pricing will be king in the next 4 years and less about trends. I dont think the overlander will have many buyers for Toyota. The volume sellers will be the Pre Runner, TRD Sport .

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
True not the final product . If were just comparing what has came out ford was really conservative with ranger while Toyota just showed everything they are going to offer. With economy being iffy as it is i think people will try stretch their dollar as much possible even more now. So pricing will be king in the next 4 years and less about trends. I dont think the overlander will have many buyers for Toyota. The volume sellers will be the Pre Runner, TRD Sport .
Agreed. That’s where most of the competition will be. I think the Trd pro is going to get a hefty price bump too.

OP
OP

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed. That’s where most of the competition will be. I think the Trd pro is going to get a hefty price bump too.
with hybrid engine easily going be 50k

Sponsored

AlloyPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Laramie Sport

True, but let's say the top trim level with all the things in that list I posted comes in at $59k.....are you still buying a Ranger anyway? I'm guessing most people are not.

And as someone who had a 2022 new-gen Frontier, I don't see ANY similarity whatsoever between this new Tacoma and the Frontier. Like, zero. Interior, exterior, features, powertrain, it's all completely different. You're talking 280 lb/ft in the Frontier vs. 460ish in the Taco. It's like apples and oranges.

OP
OP

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
he 2024 Tacoma PreRunner comes with:
  • one body style : 2-door XtraCab (extended cab) with 6-foot bed.
  • turbocharged 2.4L 4-cylinder with 278hp / 317 lb-ft
  • automatic transmission only
  • no rear seats
  • area behind front row seats provides additional cargo space w/ locking storage cubbies
  • front passenger seat back folds forward to create flat surface
  • standard locking rear differential
  • suspension lift
  • standard 17" matte black wheels
  • BFGoodrich A/T tires
  • rear leaf springs
  • 6500 lbs towing capacity

So this has more HP than base xl rnager and wt colorado....but the xl can tow more than pre runner..

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
True, but let's say the top trim level with all the things in that list I posted comes in at $59k.....are you still buying a Ranger anyway? I'm guessing most people are not.

And as someone who had a 2022 new-gen Frontier, I don't see ANY similarity whatsoever between this new Tacoma and the Frontier. Like, zero. Interior, exterior, features, powertrain, it's all completely different. You're talking 280 lb/ft in the Frontier vs. 460ish in the Taco. It's like apples and oranges.
I’m talking aesthetics. They look very similar and honestly I think the new taco looks worse than the last

Xtreme Thunder

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Not bad. I'd rather deal with a landscape oriented 14" screen sticking up a bit than the portrait oriented screen in the Ranger. Just a personal preference.

There is always some level of compromise in this segment. It sure is different to see Toyota being the only one this time around with a truly all new design from frame to cab structure.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’ll definitely be interested in a base model Trailhunter. It’s the closest thing to a SuperCrew longbed Tremor that Ford isn’t building. The hybrid models of the Tacoma won’t be available until early ’24 so Ford has time to respond to this amazing variety of configurations and trims. If only there was more factory space at MAP. I’m not so optimistic that Ford can pull this one off.
Toyota put a lot of effort into this to remain #1 in midsized trucks and conquest new buyers. Ford offers an updated midsized truck for Ford guys with blue blood. They look at this market differently because it's a big deal for Toyota and for Ford it's just to use up excess manufacturing space at the Bronco plant.
Thank you for putting it so well, that absolutely describes the difference here. I keep thinking Ford should’ve done an F150 on the Ranger & offered it in every configuration & trim. They have the expertise obviously enough. But why then did Toyota do that? It really does speak to the relative importance of the midsize market to the two.
Sponsored