• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Thank you for putting it so well, that absolutely describes the difference here. I keep thinking Ford should’ve done an F150 on the Ranger & offered it in every configuration & trim. They have the expertise obviously enough. But why then did Toyota do that? It really does speak to the relative importance of the midsize market to the two.
Because Ford makes the majority of their revenue/profits from the F series and Toyota makes the majority of their truck revenue/profits from the Tacoma with a very small market share with the Tundra. You invest the most in your most profitable product. That makes sense and is the way it should be. Ford and Toyota are in business to maximize profits and that is what they are doing.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Because Ford makes the majority of their revenue/profits from the F series and Toyota makes the majority of their truck revenue/profits from the Tacoma with a very small market share with the Tundra. You invest the most in your most profitable product. That makes sense and is the way it should be. Ford and Toyota are in business to maximize profits and that is what they are doing.
Thats true but ranger 23 took a loss last quarter. Thats not what they want to do either

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
It seems worth pointing out that we are just at the start of the production lifetimes for all the new mid-sized trucks, so perhaps not worth reading too much into the strategies and commitment for any of the players, especially Ford, based on what we have seen so far. They will all be looking at each others offerings and price points once the latter come out for Ford and Toyota, now all the majors have announced.

That said Toyota has IMV created much more interest/excitement around their launch than Ford did. It doesn't mean Ranger won't get more options, trims, features in time etc., especially because Farley already observed how there are much richer margins to be had with vehicle upsell options like Tremor and the many Bronco trims ... Ford needs higher margins in ICE vehicles to fund/offset the losses for the required investments in the BEV side of the business.

Toyota does seem to have made a savvy move in their marketing by laying out a very complete roadmap of variants and will probably be perceived as the leader in the mid-size space because of it. They have anticipated what Ford could offer in the US Ranger platform and preempted Ford by announcing first in a number of areas. For example do we doubt that the US Ranger will have a hybrid since both Maverick and F-150 do? If the Ranger has a hybrid do we doubt that Ford would also offer ProPower? We've already seen 6' bed prototypes.

The key for me is how long Ford waits to commit. I bought my Audi A6 a quarter of a century ago and it needs replacing. I can wait out this year but will probably need to commit sometime in 1H24 to a mid-size from one of the players.

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150
Tacoma outsold everything by a long shot when it wasn't even the best pickup in the class. Toyota taking it serious finally, not good for the competition.

Bt_okst

First Name
BT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Tremor & 21 Bronco FE 4-Dr
100%

Sponsored

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
It seems worth pointing out that we are just at the start of the production lifetimes for all the new mid-sized trucks, so perhaps not worth reading too much into the strategies and commitment for any of the players, especially Ford, based on what we have seen so far. They will all be looking at each others offerings and price points once the latter come out for Ford and Toyota, now all the majors have announced.

That said Toyota has IMV created much more interest/excitement around their launch than Ford did. It doesn't mean Ranger won't get more options, trims, features in time etc., especially because Farley already observed how there are much richer margins to be had with vehicle upsell options like Tremor and the many Bronco trims ... Ford needs higher margins in ICE vehicles to fund/offset the losses for the required investments in the BEV side of the business.

Toyota does seem to have made a savvy move in their marketing by laying out a very complete roadmap of variants and will probably be perceived as the leader in the mid-size space because of it. They have anticipated what Ford could offer in the US Ranger platform and preempted Ford by announcing first in a number of areas. For example do we doubt that the US Ranger will have a hybrid since both Maverick and F-150 do? If the Ranger has a hybrid do we doubt that Ford would also offer ProPower? We've already seen 6' bed prototypes.

The key for me is how long Ford waits to commit. I bought my Audi A6 a quarter of a century ago and it needs replacing. I can wait out this year but will probably need to commit sometime in 1H24 to a mid-size from one of the players.
I’m right there with you driving a 21+ year old F-150. I have envisioned myself driving a new Ranger for years and thought for sure after seeing preproduction SuperCrew Longbed in the wild that I’d be ordering one. This Trailhunter with 6’ bed and hybrid engine changes everything! My only pause on the Tacoma is the rear legroom. With that said, if Ford responds with a comparable truck, say a SuperCrew longbed with a Tremor package and hybrid option, I’d be torn. But, with production problems and limited capacity at MAP, I don’t see Ford Trailhunter fighter rolling down the line next spring. Ford dropped the ball in a big way for the 6G Ranger in the NA market with only one bed/cab configuration, no Tremor and no hybrid!!!

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Thats true but ranger 23 took a loss last quarter. Thats not what they want to do either
That was expected and planned for after announcing 6G was coming. Totally normal and expected. On the + side they didn't lose a ton of $ discounting built stale inventory on lots before the changeover. Business as usual here.

Tagtexas

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
What color is this that is in the Toyota reveal video? It does not appear to be Blue Crush as listed in their online info. Really like it.

Ford Ranger Competition: 2024 Tacoma Revealed! 77A3F5D8-FC23-409A-B8DA-664869F13879

Reactions: MJE

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m right there with you driving a 21+ year old F-150. I have envisioned myself driving a new Ranger for years and thought for sure after seeing preproduction SuperCrew Longbed in the wild that I’d be ordering one. This Trailhunter with 6’ bed and hybrid engine changes everything! My only pause on the Tacoma is the rear legroom. With that said, if Ford responds with a comparable truck, say a SuperCrew longbed with a Tremor package and hybrid option, I’d be torn. But, with production problems and limited capacity at MAP, I don’t see Ford Trailhunter fighter rolling down the line next spring. Ford dropped the ball in a big way for the 6G Ranger in the NA market with only one bed/cab configuration, no Tremor and no hybrid!!!
While I admit what’s on offer with the Ranger would work just fine for my needs/wants, what I’d hoped Ford would do was an all out reveal of bed/cab configurations & trims not unlike what Toyota has done. Heck, add in the Everest as well. But yes, that would require another production facility. While I’d think MAP could be filled with just the Bronco, I’m assuming their business case couldn’t be made for a 2nd plant (or any kind of expansion/development) to produce any more Ranger variants. Toyota came at this in a big way, it’s clear they want to profit off the Tacoma not unlike Ford with the F150 & they intend to continue selling twice as many as anyone else. Myself, looking forward to checking out all the entries in person!

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
What color is this that is in the Toyota reveal video? It does not appear to be Blue Crush as listed in their online info. Really like it.

77A3F5D8-FC23-409A-B8DA-664869F13879.png
That does look good! Maybe it’s the render/lighting. But I agree it doesn’t quite look like Blue Crush, Underground is more gray. Maybe WInd Chill Pearl? I don’t see pics yet listed on the Tacoma 4G for that color to compare.

Sponsored

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
That does look good! Maybe it’s the render/lighting. But I agree it doesn’t quite look like Blue Crush, Underground is more gray. Maybe WInd Chill Pearl? I don’t see pics yet listed on the Tacoma 4G for that color to compare.
that color is amazing, but then Toyota has always done better than ford on colors

Tony Sorrento

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Auto Sales
I have made my decision ... I am first on the Ranger Raptor allocation at my dealership so I will trade in my 22 Bronco Wildtrak for a 24 RR. I got myself put on the list for a Tacoma TRD Pro at our Toyota dealership and that truck probably wont be available until end of next year, if that. When it comes in I will take her for a spin, check out the specs, and make my decision. The color choices on the Tacoma and the ventilated seat as well as the sunroof have me leaning to the TRD Pro. I also l1ke the looks better on the TRD and the hybrid is my desire as well .... Ford's interior is by far superior tho

Born and raised by a Ford Stamping Plant employee .... He is gonna kill me lol

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I feel Toyota's approach is a bit of a 'love letter' for enthusiasts for all the models and configurations. Maybe they see the all electric future coming. I do worry about pricing for all of these models for the average Joe. Will there be any reasonable well optioned mid size pickups below 50k? Chevy Colorado is priced fairly aggressively and we haven't seen Ford's pricing yet for all their models.

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
While I admit what’s on offer with the Ranger would work just fine for my needs/wants, what I’d hoped Ford would do was an all out reveal of bed/cab configurations & trims not unlike what Toyota has done. Heck, add in the Everest as well. But yes, that would require another production facility. While I’d think MAP could be filled with just the Bronco, I’m assuming their business case couldn’t be made for a 2nd plant (or any kind of expansion/development) to produce any more Ranger variants. Toyota came at this in a big way, it’s clear they want to profit off the Tacoma not unlike Ford with the F150 & they intend to continue selling twice as many as anyone else. Myself, looking forward to checking out all the entries in person!
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Toyota clearly isn't worried about supply constraints and production demand issues as this is one of the main reasons Ford doesn't offer so many options and configurations. Perhaps the new Tacoma will be a big hit and people will be waiting for their deliveries. Maybe these problems are due to ease up in 2023 and Toyota knows it. Either way, all of this competition is good for the consumer. When is the new Dodge Dakota coming out? :blush:

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
Yup, expected to be in a new vehicle by now when I started thinking about this a few years back but the pandemic supply issues and absurd prices put paid to that plan.

My main requirement for a truck is for an overlanding/touring vehicle. As such a 6' bed is desirable for me too. I don't need the rear seat room but will take a SuperCrew if that's what's on offer provided it will still fit in a 19' garage with the 6' bed and doesn't compromise either departure angle and/or breakover too much. Neither of those are absolutely critical but as a solo driver the more clearance the better, within reason, to keep me out of trouble.

The Trailhunter is a very interesting option but the devil may be in the details when we see see dimensions, specs., what's standard and what's optional etc. For example I have no interest in the sports bar since I need to put a lightweight camper or truck cap there, so don't want to pay for that. Ditto for the cab roof rack. The other challenge I have is I need to get whatever truck I choose plus camper under a 6'10" garage opening, so keen to see all dimensions on the Toyota and Ford trucks.

I have no brand loyalty, but if Ford not only has a hybrid but also a PHEV, then the latter may be more attractive. Whether I go hybrid, PHEV or just ICE depends on what impact the electric options have on economy/range and whether a PHEV supports ProPower so I can ditch the need for propane and also have for the occasional lpower cut at home. Of course Ford have to at least tell us about their plans for any of this.

If I compromise on a 6' bed then the ZR2 (with 21.4 gal tank) works based on web-only evaluation so far for ~$52k including all the options I'd want, so Trailhunter or any Ford option better not be too expensive.
Sponsored