• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Dash Cam Fuse Taps

haticus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat
Hello, Rangers!

I'm going to install a multi-channel dashcam upon arrival. I'm still debating over what equipment to buy, but I'm leaning towards Thinkware. Does anyone with a 2024 Ford Ranger know what fuses may be good to tap into (one accessory, one battery)? I'm going to buy some fuse taps off of Amazon.

Also, I'm still unsure if there's a mounting location for side cameras. Does anyone know if there's a good place for them?

Finally, I'm also looking to hardwire a radar detector - so I'll need an additional accessory. I'd assume I shouldn't tap off the same fuse twice for both the detector and the dashcam.
Sponsored

donnellb

First Name
Donnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
These are the Fuse locations in the cabin that at least in the XLT are unused Spare fuse slots.
I plan to use these to wire in my DashCam.

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps Fuse Panel

This is the DashCam that I'm going with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3M7HPRT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1TZNKUKE5JK9T&psc=1

They also make a DashCam Hardwire Kit I'm going to get:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XB8T7T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TZNKUKE5JK9T&psc=1

Also, I noticed on page 398 that it lists Fuse 24 as a 30A for the Moonroof. But of course, the Ranger doesn't have a Moonroof.
I will first test which fuses are always powered and which are not and then decide from there which to use.

Last edited:
OP
OP

haticus

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat
These are the Fuse locations in the cabin that at least in the XLT are unused Spare fuse slots.
I plan to use these to wire in my DashCam.

Fuse Panel.png

This is the DashCam that I'm going with:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3M7HPRT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1TZNKUKE5JK9T&psc=1

They also make a DashCam Hardwire Kit I'm going to get:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083XB8T7T/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1TZNKUKE5JK9T&psc=1

Also, I noticed on page 398 that it lists Fuse 24 as a 30A for the Moonroof. But of course, the Ranger doesn't have a Moonroof.
I will first test which fuses are always powered and which are not and then decide from there which to use.
Let me know your findings. I'm going to be doing the same when my truck comes in!

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
Same here! Have a Blackvue in the CTS-V but not sure which dash cam I'm going with in the Raptor. I'll probably just swap the radar detector over as needed. Going to wait until I have the Raptor so I can figure out mounting options. I was able to put dash cam and radar detector on the mirror in the V but looks like the Ranger's don't have that amount of space.

Sponsored

donnellb

First Name
Donnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
Update on this. Looks like Fuse 21 & 22 are the only (Spare) fuse locations that don't get power until the truck is turned ON. This would be for the ACC wire for Parking Mode. The only issue is that this Fuse is a Micro 3 fuse. I believe two fuse locations sharing one socket. All the fuses that have the same shape are Micro 3 Fuses.

So, being that I only want the Dash Cam fuse to be in a Spare socket that would rule out Socket 7 as it is a Micro 3 that is shared with fuse 6. Fuse 6 is for the Alarm horn. / Battery backup sounder. So I'm not touching that one. All the other locations are either Micro 2 or Mini. I forget but the kit I got had all but the Micro 3. Which, are also Not sold in Auto Part stores, Walmart etc. I had to buy one via Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB2V542?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

It should arrive later today and hopefully, the rain will stay away.
I took off the plastic cover behind the Rearview mirror. Then using a Dremel tool with a small sanding bit and rounded out two small holes to feed the cable through. So in my case, the cable goes up through the cover and then down the pillars.

Tip: For both holes stay closer to the middle. The part that's on the windshield has a 1/4-inch ridge all the way around. If you go too close to the edges there might be plastic in the way and the cable might not sit correctly.

Will update later today or tomorrow assuming it works.

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps 20240424_114013

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps 20240424_114122

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps 20240424_114200

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I used fuse #3 (wireless charger) for acc and fuse #28 (spare/unused) for constant - both micro2.

Also used modified Blendmounts to mount both radar detector and dash cam on one mirror mount clamp. Mirror tap to power the radar detector.

Other thread discussion here: Ranger 6G - Mirror tap and fuse tap for radar detector or dash cam

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps 20240423_162910_resized

Last edited:

donnellb

First Name
Donnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
I used fuse #3 (wireless charger) for acc and fuse #28 (spare/unused) for constant - both micro2.

Also used modified Blendmounts to mount both radar detector and dash cam on one mirror mount clamp. Mirror tap to power the radar detector.

Other thread discussion here: Ranger 6G - Mirror tap and fuse tap for radar detector or dash cam

20240423_162910_resized.jpg
Looks like you have the RR. In my Ranger XLT. Fuse #3 is for the wireless charger. But when I tested the fuse it had power even when the truck was turned off. I of course tested both spots on the fuse. I thought this was odd so I placed my phone on the wireless pad and it wouldn't charge until I turned the truck On. I tested it a few times. And when I say a few I mean 10+ times. So because of this weird behavior, I decided to not use it just to be on the safe side.

I had marked it in another picture of possible fuses until I found that it still had power. I marked 24 thinking we don't have no dang Moonroof. But then I figured they must be talking about the rear sliding window. So I scrapped that one also.
If anyone else is adding a Dash Cam or Radar and you have a Non-Raptor Ranger. Can you confirm if Fuse #3 for you has power when the truck is off.

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps Fuse Panel

Jamesgang

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 f-150
Occupation
engineering manager
Update on this. Looks like Fuse 21 & 22 are the only (Spare) fuse locations that don't get power until the truck is turned ON. This would be for the ACC wire for Parking Mode. The only issue is that this Fuse is a Micro 3 fuse. I believe two fuse locations sharing one socket. All the fuses that have the same shape are Micro 3 Fuses.

So, being that I only want the Dash Cam fuse to be in a Spare socket that would rule out Socket 7 as it is a Micro 3 that is shared with fuse 6. Fuse 6 is for the Alarm horn. / Battery backup sounder. So I'm not touching that one. All the other locations are either Micro 2 or Mini. I forget but the kit I got had all but the Micro 3. Which, are also Not sold in Auto Part stores, Walmart etc. I had to buy one via Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB2V542?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

It should arrive later today and hopefully, the rain will stay away.
I took off the plastic cover behind the Rearview mirror. Then using a Dremel tool with a small sanding bit and rounded out two small holes to feed the cable through. So in my case, the cable goes up through the cover and then down the pillars.

Tip: For both holes stay closer to the middle. The part that's on the windshield has a 1/4-inch ridge all the way around. If you go too close to the edges there might be plastic in the way and the cable might not sit correctly.

Will update later today or tomorrow assuming it works.

20240424_114013.jpg

20240424_114122.jpg

20240424_114200.jpg
I used this location red being acc and everything is working fine.

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps IMG_5647

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps IMG_5649

donnellb

First Name
Donnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
I used this location red being acc and everything is working fine.

IMG_5647.jpeg

IMG_5649.png

Fuse #36 is the Parking aid module on mine. I'm not sure if it matters but I have the XLT High package in mine. But if the fuses are the same no matter which build we have. I wanted to avoid using any fuses already being used by something else. Especially something like the Parking aid module., or Ignition switch. If I ever need to take it in for service. I don't want the dealership to try blaming it on that fact I tapped into a fuse used by any of the equipment in the truck.

Sponsored

donnellb

First Name
Donnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
With the above said. I was able to get it connected. I used fuse #28 and the slot with 21 & 22 using a Micro 3 Fuse Tap. The middle pin is the one that has power when the truck is On. For #28 the right pin has power.
While I was in there I checked fuse #3 again and it indeed gets power when the truck is off. So I couldn't use it for ACC. See picture below.

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps 20240424_184328

Ford Ranger Dash Cam Fuse Taps 20240424_184317

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
With the above said. I was able to get it connected. I used fuse #28 and the slot with 21 & 22 using a Micro 3 Fuse Tap. The middle pin is the one that has power when the truck is On. For #28 the right pin has power.
While I was in there I checked fuse #3 again and it indeed gets power when the truck is off. So I couldn't use it for ACC. See picture below.

20240424_184328.jpg

20240424_184317.jpg
Thanks for that! I rechecked and you are correct, so I'll have to find a different slot. Checked all fuses with a multimeter to verify your findings and came up with the same results you did. I'm also wondering how accurate the owners guide is on the labeling. It's weird to me that all of the spare unused fuses have constant power through them. Is that standard practice these days? I don't really like sharing any of the switched mirco2 slots as they share what I feel are critical components. May have to go the micro3 route.

donnellb

First Name
Donnell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Escape
Thanks for that! I rechecked and you are correct, so I'll have to find a different slot. Checked all fuses with a multimeter to verify your findings and came up with the same results you did. I'm also wondering how accurate the owners guide is on the labeling. It's weird to me that all of the spare unused fuses have constant power through them. Is that standard practice these days? I don't really like sharing any of the switched mirco2 slots as they share what I feel are critical components. May have to go the micro3 route.

No problem at all. I just wanted to do my part to make sure me and others don't fry anything or give the dealer an out in the case of a warranty claim.
I got this one because it had a bullet connector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB2V542?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image&th=1

I got the Vantrue N4 Pro 3 Channel Dash Cam and I got the Vantrue Dash Cam Hardwire Kit. The kit has a built-in low battery voltage cutoff. The connectors use bullet connectors. If you get the Micro 3 Fuse tap above like others have said in the Amazon review section you have to shave the plastic down some. Looks like the mold they used is a little thick. After shaving it down a little it fit right in. If it helps I can take a picture of the fuse panel so you can see how I have the fuse taps in. Just let me know.

Have a great day all.

949BFN

First Name
Hendré
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Attorney
I wonder how Ford determines which features are available in specific markets. My Raptor in South Africa has a USB port behind the rearview mirror, despite dashcams not being that common here. At least not nearly as popular as in the States.
We also get the grab handles the guys in the States are missing and air vents for the backseat passengers. Our Raptors are missing the trailer brake controller and the rear window slider though.

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Finally got a micro3 fuse tap and like was mentioned, had to trim ends down to fit in slot.

Fuse #3 worked for ACC but it is constantly on. Didn't run into any issues, the cam switched from drive mode to park mode correctly. But didn't want to keep it wired in 2 constant on fuses.
Sponsored