• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Looks like I'm coming back to a Ranger

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,
some years back I owned a 2020 Ranger FX4. Great truck but some reason I decided I wanted a Jeep Gladiator for better off road use. Had that for a couple years then wanted something better for hauling a small (3,500 lb) travel trailer and more comfortable for road trips. Now driving a 23 F150 Rattler. Great truck, awesome power with the 3.5 EB, hauls my R-Pod like it's not there. But,... it's too darn big. I just don't enjoy driving it.

I'm thinking of going back to a mid size truck. The new Frontier was a consideration but I'm not sure how it would do with the trailer. And I'm kind of spoiled by the 3.5 EB engine.

Now I'm thinking a new Ranger FX4 with the 2.7L would be about perfect. Fun to drive, plenty of power for the trailer and off road capable for desert exploring.

Think I'll call my local dealer and ask him to give me a call when that configuration is available for order.

Meanwhile I'll continue to learn all I can and will keep you all posted.
Sponsored

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Welcome back. Not sure what we have to offer at the moment as most of us are just waiting to see where things are going with production start dates.

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
The 2.7 is not available to order until late fall or in winter.
I am waiting also for the 2.7 as I currently have a F150 with a 3.5.
I want to move to a mid size for the same reasons as you.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Hi Folks,
some years back I owned a 2020 Ranger FX4. Great truck but some reason I decided I wanted a Jeep Gladiator for better off road use. Had that for a couple years then wanted something better for hauling a small (3,500 lb) travel trailer and more comfortable for road trips. Now driving a 23 F150 Rattler. Great truck, awesome power with the 3.5 EB, hauls my R-Pod like it's not there. But,... it's too darn big. I just don't enjoy driving it.

I'm thinking of going back to a mid size truck. The new Frontier was a consideration but I'm not sure how it would do with the trailer. And I'm kind of spoiled by the 3.5 EB engine.

Now I'm thinking a new Ranger FX4 with the 2.7L would be about perfect. Fun to drive, plenty of power for the trailer and off road capable for desert exploring.

Think I'll call my local dealer and ask him to give me a call when that configuration is available for order.

Meanwhile I'll continue to learn all I can and will keep you all posted.
fyi... Standard on all 2023 Frontier grades is a 310-horsepower, 3.8-liter direct-injection V6 engine, paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission. Coupled with the truck's tough frame, the powertrain helps enable a towing capacity of up to 6,720 pounds (maximum, when properly equipped).

Last edited:
OP
OP
cb4017

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired
fyi... Standard on all 2023 Frontier grades is a 310-horsepower, 3.8-liter direct-injection V6 engine, paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission. Coupled with the truck's tough frame, the powertrain helps enable a towing capacity of up to 6,720 pounds (maximum, when properly equipped).
I agree with what you're saying about the Frontier and I've been looking at them. I had a 2018 Pro-4X. They are nice trucks and I really like the looks of the new ones. I probably should go drive one.

I still think the additional power and tow capacity of the Ranger would be nice, especially at the altitude I live (4k feet).

I'm not in a hurry. Still need to explain to the wife why I want to get rid of this almost new F150, LOL.
Sponsored