• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2015 Mustang GT, 2007 Mustang Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
It's a cost issue. Manufacturers have to slowly implement added costs, because ultimately, it gets passed on to consumers.

Frankly, EVERY EcoBoost motor in Ford's lineup should have both port and direct injection. It will happen, but unfortunately it will take some time.

I had heard, a good 5-6 years ago, that all the EPA requirements were basically adding close to $10k to every vehicle. Not sure if that's true, but I can certainly see that we are all paying a lot in added up-front costs, increased maintenance costs, and replacement costs down the road due to impacts on longevity.
Sponsored

RJohans

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 Supercrew Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
Wow, I’m no motor head but this video explained why I must add a catch-can:

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Are people holding out for a bolt-on catch can design, or would offerings like mishimoto’s universal one be sufficient?
Because Who knows when a company is going to offer a direct bolt-on catch can..

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Watch the videos on how to install one, basically you can reuse the two hose barbs, and a few lengths of 3/8" fuel rated hose. If you can find a place to mount it, any quality catch can would work (in my opinion).

Something like the Mishimoto, or a Provent 200 would be fine. I'd find one that can have the drain routed underneath just for simplicity.

The reason I'm not going to install one is I don't want to tear a bunch of parts off a brand new truck, and I will be under warranty until 150K miles.

Sponsored

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Just finished up fitment on the UPR 5030 can with check valve! We should have them ready soon.

20190326_170159.jpg
Can’t wait, I’ll be ordering one as soon as it’s available

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Never ran one on my 2011 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost. Had over 70,000 miles on it when I traded and it ran like it was brand new.

I won't be running one on this truck either since the Ford engineers didn't think it was needed.

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
I won't be running one on this truck either since the Ford engineers didn't think it was needed.
^^^This ^^^

Please...no disrespect intended but Im not sure why owners think its a good idea to redesign vehicles and other recomendations engineers make. There are years of design and testing that goes into these things.

Catch can: if it needed it, Ford would have designed it in. I would venture to guess that a very large number of Ecoboost engines run fine and for a long time without it. There are a tiny few (%) that feel it needs it.
Oil: Ford knows what kind of oil it's engines need. Not sure why some owners feel they know more then the folks that engineered it.

Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
Tangent but germane.... how about CRC every 20,000 miles or so?
Still kinda scary... Pros & Cons??
Ford Ranger Oil Catch Can. Yes or No? upload_2019-4-4_12-26-1

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
Catch can: if it needed it, Ford would have designed it in.
Because engineers never make mistakes right? ;-) Seriously though, I've read up on this and like everyone else, there is nothing concrete..just tons of anecdotal evidence. I would say to answer the "Why didn't Ford design it" is because there is maintenance involved and they can't rely on *most* owners to do that maintenance of emptying out the catch can". I'd also say that Ford and others have recognized the issue by building engines with both port and direct injection. Why do both when direct should be ok?

I also think a lot of it has to do with changing oil using the right oil at the right intervals along with driving conditions and styles and even probably gas quality. Lots of variables.

I'm not putting one on though. I'll just stick with the right oil and changing earlier than recommended. But I also don't drive in really cold, super hot, or stop and go conditions.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
For those of you who say it doesn't need on and didn't watch this already...

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
Everyone told me " you must put a catch can on your 2011 3.5 Ecoboost". I went with my gut and trusted the Ford engineers.

8 years later and that motor was as strong as ever after many miles of towing my boat. I really hated to get rid of it but I really didn't need a full size truck any more.

A lot of money has been made by these aftermarket guys. Sorry, I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
What's weird is that everyone selling them says they're essential :inspect:
Sponsored