• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
Has anyone looked to see if the 2.3 mustang catch cans from Ford Performance fit the Ranger?

Here's the install instructions https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FORDINSTSHTM-6766-A23.PDF
The Mustang Left and Right independent systems will most likely function the same, but you would need to fabricate mounting brackets, etc because the body mounting locations will be very different. As soon as Ford Performance releases their Ranger version it will be posted on their site, and Kyle will also be giving me a "heads up".

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The Mustang Left and Right independent systems will most likely function the same, but you would need to fabricate mounting brackets, etc because the body mounting locations will be very different. As soon as Ford Performance releases their Ranger version it will be posted on their site, and Kyle will also be giving me a "heads up".
Has there been confirmation that FP is even working on one for the Ranger?

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Upcoming 2020 Ranger Lariat
I have been communicating with Kyle Sargent at Ford Performance, and he has told me that they are indeed working on an Air/Oil Separator System for the Ranger. I am thinking that it will be very similar to the existing system available for the Mustang with the 2.3L Ecoboost engine. The Mustang system consists of both Right Hand Side and Left Hand Side units. They are a bit pricey, but they have the aforementioned Ford R&D incorporated.
Yes, I have had several e-mail communications with Kyle Sargent of Ford Performance, that YES they were working on one. He has a post-it note at his computer reminding him to e-mail me when it is ready. I will be sure to post that information as soon as I receive it.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I have had several e-mail communications with Kyle Sargent of Ford Performance, that YES they were working on one. He has a post-it note at his computer reminding him to e-mail me when it is ready. I will be sure to post that information as soon as I receive it.
Perfect - thanks!

Sponsored

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Only the location of the pcv valve is the same for the driver side. The intake fitting is in a different location. That hose would be completely different if the mounting location is even the same.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mountain Ranger
I was told an after-market catch can system voids the warranty. Fords attempt to improve gas mileage with direct fuel injection is lost after the carbon build up on the valves. I too will be installing a catch can when Ford comes out with their own "catch can" carbon remedy.

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
I was told an after-market catch can system voids the warranty. Fords attempt to improve gas mileage with direct fuel injection is lost after the carbon build up on the valves. I too will be installing a catch can when Ford comes out with their own "catch can" carbon remedy.
Except Ford will not offer anything that will not void the warranty. All their Ford Performance units are for racing purposes only. And they will not admit to any carbon build up issue.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mountain Ranger
When I mentioned the carbon buildup issue to my service manager he replied: "I haven't heard about that" Really? I said. This was after he bragged about his 40 years in the automotive service industry and 20 years with Ford. Of course he knows about the problem but played dumm.

Sorry to hear that Ford will define a remedy to a poor choice of fuel injection designs as a "racing product" Ford is slow to admit problems and compensate owners. I know. I traded my 2015 Ford Focus in the purchase of the Ranger. My Focus was on its 4th dual clutch transmission replacement with just under 100k miles. It was sold to me with no mention of the class action lawsuit. When the dealer took it in trade they put it back on the lot for sale. The new owner will be replacing the clutch every 22k miles at about $1,350 at pop.

Except Ford will not offer anything that will not void the warranty. All their Ford Performance units are for racing purposes only. And they will not admit to any carbon build up issue.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
When I mentioned the carbon buildup issue to my service manager he replied: "I haven't heard about that" Really? I said. This was after he bragged about his 40 years in the automotive service industry and 20 years with Ford. Of course he knows about the problem but played dumm.

Sorry to hear that Ford will define a remedy to a poor choice of fuel injection designs as a "racing product" Ford is slow to admit problems and compensate owners. I know. I traded my 2015 Ford Focus in the purchase of the Ranger. My Focus was on its 4th dual clutch transmission replacement with just under 100k miles. It was sold to me with no mention of the class action lawsuit. When the dealer took it in trade they put it back on the lot for sale. The new owner will be replacing the clutch every 22k miles at about $1,350 at pop.
Its really too bad about the transmission having a bad seal design, That was a great design otherwise..
I wanted one in my TC but I was lucky enough that it was gone by the time I bought my 2016.

You may well be right in your assumption, but the fact is , this site and a couple of YouTube videos this year were the first I ever heard of the "problem" .
I have always paid attention to most things automotive and all things Ford.
I know dozens of people who have owned every sort of EcoBoost since the first one came out, many with high mileage.
Not only that, but I know lots of people with Chevys who would CERTAINLY tell me if they had heard about it!:giggle:
I think the problem may be real , but probably greatly magnified, and there is a good chance that your service manager may never have seen a case.

Maybe it is just that they don't normally develop the problem until very high mileage so the dealers don't see it.
Just yesterday on the thread "New FORD pickup coming, smaller than Ranger"
there was a post describing a 1.5 EcoBoost with 125000miles so far without carbon symptoms.
Also one glance and you can see that the PCV system on the new EcoBoost is a lot more than just a hole in the crankcase.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 pinto V8, 1995 Mustang GT conv, 2019 SuperCab 2WD Ranger, 2016 Transit Connect
In 2001 I bought a Ford Ranger Edge with a 4.0L.
I had some concerns about the fact that it was a non-clearance engine with a very long and complicated timing chain.

Common sense and bad press along with rumors of failures seemed to say "DON"T buy the 4.0L.

I loved the power and low end torque so I bought it anyway knowing that the 3.0L was a much more conventional design and likely would last forever,

After 18 years and nearing 200,000 miles I sold that truck to buy The 2019. It was running absolutely as new with no chain noise and no oil consumption. The truck was worked hard and driven fast the whole time....
I did see a few with bad chains and even a couple with destroyed engines on other people's trucks.
Was the chain a real problem? Not for me.
I made my living over a lifetime on the premise that everything put together sooner or later falls apart...
even us

Last edited:

u wish u could ride

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 xlt in blue
Occupation
building maintenance
I read a ford bulletin on a 2.7 forum ford telling their techs a certain amount of oil blow bye is not only expected but helps with the life durability of the intake valve seats!!

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP Mustang, 2006 GMC Sierra, 2015 Suzuki King Quad, 2006 883/ 1200 Sportster conversion
Occupation
Retired
no engine lights ?and how much is filtering out? engine compartment have sprinkles of oil?
None of the above..I’ll try it for a while and see what happens. I’m going to the drags in Gainesville on the 23rd..I’ll give a report after that.
Regards
Sponsored