• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Purchasing first model year vehicles

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's no surprise we're all on this board because we are excited about the new ranger (and for many of us, the other new midsizes as well), but how do you all justify purchasing a FMY vehicle to yourself? As much as I'd love to put in a reservation on a 2023 ranger/colorado/canyon, i'm having a hard time convincing myself that it's worth the pain of not only first-year "quirks" but also missing any following-year(s) small QOL updates that usually show up.

And following the supply chain issues we've seen the last two years, it makes it even harder to pull the trigger on making a reservation immediately.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I've always lived by not getting the first year run because of the things you've listed. More times than not I've had trouble with first year models but I might go against my better judgement and order the Ranger Raptor if the price isn't to crazy.

With a lot of testing being done and the Aussie version now being out and acing the safety testing and a 5 star rating from the Australian New Car Assessment Program I feel a little more comfortable ordering one. Plus it looks like the same 2.3 will be in the Ranger and the 3.0 in the Raptor and both have been out long enough to have proven their self.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
Bought a 2022 Maverick. Have it about 13 months, 10K miles. Zero issues, it’s been great. Like previous posters mentioned the motors and a majority of the mechanicals already have a track record. Plus letting our friends in Australia work out many of the bugs is a bonus. Being a first year model doesn’t scare me.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
Bought a 2022 Maverick. Have it about 13 months, 10K miles. Zero issues, it’s been great. Like previous posters mentioned the motors and a majority of the mechanicals already have a track record. Plus letting our friends in Australia work out many of the bugs is a bonus. Being a first year model doesn’t scare me.
This.
For the new ranger, not much 'new'. I'd like a PHEV, might wait for the second production yr
for that.

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
There's been some teething trouble here in Aus with the RA, but it's all relatively minor so far. Software bugs with some of the features, which Ford has been quick to rectify, a wiring issue with the forward facing sensors, which has been fixed at the factory, and a few of the V6 diesels have been having turbo oil line leaks.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
There's been some teething trouble here in Aus with the RA, but it's all relatively minor so far. Software bugs with some of the features, which Ford has been quick to rectify, a wiring issue with the forward facing sensors, which has been fixed at the factory, and a few of the V6 diesels have been having turbo oil line leaks.
Great to hear.
Thanks Bill

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willys Gladiator
Three months with my Bronco and I have had several issues already. On top of getting a cracked windshield. That is a first in my 36 years of driving. Including two Jeeps. Beginning to think this thing has bad juju. Doubt I'd ever take a chance on a new model or first year major overhaul again.

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Three months with my Bronco and I have had several issues already. On top of getting a cracked windshield. That is a first in my 36 years of driving. Including two Jeeps. Beginning to think this thing has bad juju. Doubt I'd ever take a chance on a new model or first year major overhaul again.
That sucks! Hopefully you’re through the issues. The new Ranger isn’t exactly the same. The new Bronco is basically a new model where the Ranger, although changed isn’t quite to that extreme plus our Aussie friends have been working through some of the newbie pains. Obviously, there will be some hiccups but I am hoping they’ll be minimal. I am more concerned that Ford will have the parts to build them.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor, '13 Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I've always avoided 1st MY like the plague. Ford guy, but in 2006 bought a Frontier (no Ranger option then). 2005 1/2 was the first year of that one so '06 was very close to being the first MY. Complete and total POS. Told myself to wait but I really wanted the truck. Regretted it quickly. Constant repairs. CONSTANT. Just awful. In later years the '05 and '06 were routinely listed as MY's to avoid at all costs.

Fast forward to the Ford Focus ST being released in 2013. I just HAD to have one. So completely ignored my 1st year rule. Bought one. Did have about 6 recalls. Had one done quickly as it became an issue for me. Waited on the other 5 or so and just had them done all at once. 2013 and ZERO issues/repairs so far. Zero shop time other than 2 recall visits. Way to go Ford.

So, with it being a Ford I'd say order your Ranger. I think you'll be good to go. But I do think getting one is going to be a chore. And I think stealership mark ups are going to be a problem due to the popularity of the new model. Those are two of the reasons I ordered my 2023 to get the last MY of the current truck.

Sponsored

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sucks! Hopefully you’re through the issues. The new Ranger isn’t exactly the same. The new Bronco is basically a new model where the Ranger, although changed isn’t quite to that extreme plus our Aussie friends have been working through some of the newbie pains. Obviously, there will be some hiccups but I am hoping they’ll be minimal. I am more concerned that Ford will have the parts to build them.

I don't think think there will be many mechanical issues early on. I'd be more worried about fit and finish issues and electrical bugs. Interior is all new. Body is all new. Much of the electrical aspects will be all new. Many things won't surface until they are real world tested by real owners. That's how many of the Bronco issues have surfaced. And still are.

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, with it being a Ford I'd say order your Ranger. I think you'll be good to go. But I do think getting one is going to be a chore. And I think stealership mark ups are going to be a problem due to the popularity of the new model. Those are two of the reasons I ordered my 2023 to get the last MY of the current truck.
My reasoning too. Tried and true platform. Most of the bugs have long been worked out. And yes there will be zero discounts and most likely ADM at many dealers. And I do think initial quality issues.

For curiosity sake I stopped by a Chevy dealer to price out a new Colorado. I qualify for supplier pricing through my employer. It won't be honored on the Colorado.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I've always avoided 1st MY like the plague. Ford guy, but in 2006 bought a Frontier (no Ranger option then). 2005 1/2 was the first year of that one so '06 was very close to being the first MY. Complete and total POS. Told myself to wait but I really wanted the truck. Regretted it quickly. Constant repairs. CONSTANT. Just awful. In later years the '05 and '06 were routinely listed as MY's to avoid at all costs.

Fast forward to the Ford Focus ST being released in 2013. I just HAD to have one. So completely ignored my 1st year rule. Bought one. Did have about 6 recalls. Had one done quickly as it became an issue for me. Waited on the other 5 or so and just had them done all at once. 2013 and ZERO issues/repairs so far. Zero shop time other than 2 recall visits. Way to go Ford.

I see you are new here- welcome aboard. Do you think we can refrain from using derogatory terms like "stealerships" and the negativity of predicting/expecting use of ADM before this thing is even revealed and we have real world data and experiences to go by? Me and another poster on here just did the Maverick Customer special retail order process, and while not without hiccups and frustrations- both had good dealers and positive experiences acquiring our Mavericks without any BS from the dealer. I'm sure you'll be happy with your 2023 Ranger, but please try not to spoil the fun for the rest of us looking forward to the 2024.

I personally don't expect anything like the Maverick experience with the new Ranger as there are multiple worthy mid-size competitors to choose from with GM Twins, Frontier, Ridgeline, and new expected Tacoma. In the reimagined Compact space, there was only the Santa Cruz and Maverick, and supply and demand along with lack of experience in new ordering process played a large role in the way interactions with dealers unfolded. I'm happy enough with my Maverick, but curious to see if the new Ranger actually is a better overall fit for my needs and lifestyle. If not, I keep what I have and life goes on.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Plus it looks like the same 2.3 will be in the Ranger and the 3.0 in the Raptor and both have been out long enough to have proven their self.
The 2.3 in the new Mustang is all new and it includes dual injection (port and direct). I suspect this new 2.3 will also be the base engine in the new 2024 Ranger. Hopefully any teething issues will get worked out in the Mustang, but it will be something for us to watch. I am happy and impressed that Ford is still investing in ICE improvements.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor, '13 Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I see you are new here- welcome aboard. Do you think we can refrain from using derogatory terms like "stealerships" and the negativity of predicting/expecting use of ADM before this thing is even revealed and we have real world data and experiences to go by? Me and another poster on here just did the Maverick Customer special retail order process, and while not without hiccups and frustrations- both had good dealers and positive experiences acquiring our Mavericks without any BS from the dealer. I'm sure you'll be happy with your 2023 Ranger, but please try not to spoil the fun for the rest of us looking forward to the 2024.

I personally don't expect anything like the Maverick experience with the new Ranger as there are multiple worthy mid-size competitors to choose from with GM Twins, Frontier, Ridgeline, and new expected Tacoma. In the reimagined Compact space, there was only the Santa Cruz and Maverick, and supply and demand along with lack of experience in new ordering process played a large role in the way interactions with dealers unfolded. I'm happy enough with my Maverick, but curious to see if the new Ranger actually is a better overall fit for my needs and lifestyle. If not, I keep what I have and life goes on.
Really? I was trying to spoil your fun? And the fun of the other forum members? News to me. If I wasn't excited about the new Ranger I wouldn't visit this forum, and I certainly wouldn't have finally registered here.

As to stealerships, you refer to them any way you want. But for me, the title is appropriate.

Probable pricing games = negativity? We'll just have to agree to disagree. I call it potential reality in today's market.

Lastly, I would NEVER comment on a Ranger forum, 5G or 6G, just to piss in somebody's coffee. Enough bullshit in the world. Don't need it on a truck enthusiast forum.

Have a nice day.
Sponsored