• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ranger raptor engine GDI vs port and direct injection

Hman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor, BMW X7
Searching through the internet and finding some mixed information on whether the upcoming Ranger Raptor engine 3.0L TT will have direct injection or both direct/port injection.
I know it’s basically the same engine found in the bronco raptor and explorer ST, but those are only direct injection.
This technical spec from Ford shows both direct/port injection.
Any intel on whether ford worked on the 3.0L TT engine and added port injection? This would actually be ideal as I’ve had GDI and the power loss after several tens of thousands of miles was noticeable from carbon build up.
Ford Ranger Ranger raptor engine GDI vs port and direct injection D64C9CD6-DD33-42B3-879F-0CDCE14F72A0
Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
That's 100% an error. This forum has found more than a dozen errors within the publications for this model. The 3.0 EB is direct injected. The only EB engine I'm aware of with dual direct/port injection is the 3.5L Gen 2 that's in the F150 Raptor and Ford GT.

A decent true catch can from a reputable brand will make the issue negligible. Not all catch cans are created equal.

jredecop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
That's 100% an error. This forum has found more than a dozen errors within the publications for this model. The 3.0 EB is direct injected. The only EB engine I'm aware of with dual direct/port injection is the 3.5L Gen 2 that's in the F150 Raptor and Ford GT.

A decent true catch can from a reputable brand will make the issue negligible. Not all catch cans are created equal.
Im pretty sure the 2.7 and the 400 hp 3.5 in the f150 are dual injected.
Ford Ranger Ranger raptor engine GDI vs port and direct injection Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.17.04 PM
Ford Ranger Ranger raptor engine GDI vs port and direct injection Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.16.38 PM

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Im pretty sure the 2.7 and the 400 hp 3.5 in the f150 are dual injected.
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.17.04 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 9.16.38 PM.png
Thanks for the info. Yeah it appears you’re correct. The second Gen 2.7L came out right after the second Gen 3.5L with some of the same improvements like the addition of port fuel injection. It’s in the F150, Bronco, and the upcoming Ranger.

jredecop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150
Probably not, but hopefully we get a second gen 3.0 with it!

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
The all new 2.3 Ecoboost in the new Mustang is also dual injection. I hoping at some point in the future it makes it into the Ranger.

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
The all new 2.3 Ecoboost in the new Mustang is also dual injection. I hoping at some point in the future it makes it into the Ranger.
Any chance the new 2024 Ranger will actually have it? Seems weird they’d release a new model without it if it’s already in the Mustang.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Any chance the new 2024 Ranger will actually have it? Seems weird they’d release a new model without it if it’s already in the Mustang.
The Ranger is continuing with the gen 2 2.3 Ecoboost, not the all new 'gen 3'.

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
The Ranger is continuing with the gen 2 2.3 Ecoboost, not the all new 'gen 3'.
That’s unfortunate. Do you know if there is a difference in brake setup between the 2.3 and 2.7 in the new Ranger? I recall seeing something on the Bronco forums that the braking was different and worse with the 2.3 than the 2.7, but I haven’t heard anything about there being two different brake systems in the new Ranger.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That’s unfortunate. Do you know if there is a difference in brake setup between the 2.3 and 2.7 in the new Ranger? I recall seeing something on the Bronco forums that the braking was different and worse with the 2.3 than the 2.7, but I haven’t heard anything about there being different brake systems in the new Ranger.
What do you mean by braking? The Ranger we get has a variety of brake equipment depending on spec and engine, different front rotor diameters, and the low spec models continue with drum brakes on the rear. No idea what you'll get in the US.

Sponsored

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
What do you mean by braking? The Ranger we get has a variety of brake equipment depending on spec and engine, different front rotor diameters, and the low spec models continue with drum brakes on the rear. No idea what you'll get in the US.
If I recall correctly, the Bronco forums discussed that the 2.3 had vacuum sealed braking system but the 2.7had a different system. There was talk that the vacuum system sometimes caused mushy feeling brakes and it also had a very long stopping distance. If I remember correctly it was tested at 217 feet to go from 70 mph to stop.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If I recall correctly, the Bronco forums discussed that the 2.3 had vacuum sealed braking system but the 2.7had a different system. There was talk that the vacuum system sometimes caused mushy feeling brakes and it also had a very long stopping distance. If I remember correctly it was tested at 217 feet to go from 70 mph to stop.
I cant speak to that, all our Rangers have the same electronic booster to my understanding.
Sponsored