• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
lol I'm all for a good discussion. ?

I'm just guessing here but my theory is Ford wants to push out as many Lightning's as the can as it's a huge money maker for them. The F150 being their bread and butter by offering both the Ranger and the Lightning right away it does take larger profit away from them. By offering a hybrid or a PHEV at first in the Ranger they wouldn't lose much if any sales to competitors unless one offered something really great. There's a lot of dedicated Ford guys out there so I think most would stick with the Ranger as a hybrid. Then I think a mid Gen refresh brings us a full EV Ranger.

True there are those like myself who have no need for a full size truck anymore but if I really wanted a full EV I would seriously consider the base Lightning, you cant beat the price point. I wasn't impressed at all with the Colorado ZR2 or the Tacoma so they'd both need a major overhaul (especially the outdated interiors and the horrible seating position) and I've heard the same from others but maybe I'm wrong. ?‍♂
That's a good point and although I don't see it as a necessary approach, I can certainly see that as a possible approach for Ford.
I guess what I'm really getting at isn't specifically directed towards ICE, PHEV, or EV, but towards "dumbing down" the midsize truck market in general. I don't believe the manufacturers need to be concerned (if they are) about having a smaller truck steal sales from their larger trucks. It's two different types of customers. I just can't wrap my head around why the midsize truck market always has to be dumbed down. That thinking doesn't seem to exist with cars & SUV's, so it shouldn't exist with midsize trucks.

If someone would bring out a midsize truck with all the available options that are available within other market segments, I truly believe it would be a best seller.
A (somewhat) example would be the fullsize Raptor. Before the Raptor came out, the general forum talk was that nobody really wanted or needed an extreme off-road vehicle with all the options. Off-road people just did not care about luxuries and there was no market for this type of vehicle.......according to the internet.
When the Raptor came out, it immediately showed that the general thought about off-road & luxuries was a myth. Dealers couldn't (and still can't) keep them on the lot and very, very, very few base models are sold. Most are "fully loaded".
I mean no disrespect, but this is were I think the "stealing sales" idea lies. I don't believe it to be a fact, I think it's a myth that somehow has taken hold of the midsize truck market. If someone brought out a midsize truck with PHEV or EV and all the options that are available in fullsize (and other segments), dealers would not be able to keep them on the lot.

I'm tired of being told I can't have something, just because I'm in the Midsized truck market.
We need to speak up! Join me fellow MIdSize owners!

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Does any other manufacturer use a turbo charged ICE motor and a PHEV
Jeep Wrangler 4xe comes to mind. I think there are several others also. It makes a lot of sense when you want high performance combined with improved fuel economy. Only speculation on my part, but a 3.3 NA PHEV in a Ranger would not be a great performer. The tow rating would likely be less than the current 5G Ranger which would make me pass on it.

I currently own a Ranger that has modest fuel dilution in the oil depending on the driving conditions. I just change the oil a little more frequently and don't worry about it.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
3.3L Duratec in the F 150 has a 8200 lbs towing capacity. The Ranger PHEV is one you should wait a least a year after the first run to see if there are issues. A positive I do see is the fender vents will actually work to dissipate heat in the engine compartment.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.3L Duratec in the F 150 has a 8200 lbs towing capacity. The Ranger PHEV is one you should wait a least a year after the first run to see if there are issues. A positive I do see is the fender vents will actually work to dissipate heat in the engine compartment.
The F-150's 3.3 Duratec produces 290 hp @ 6500 rpm and 265 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm.. The Ranger's 2.3 turbo produces 270 hp @ 5500 rpm and 310 lb-ft @ 3000 rpm. Torque is what matters when towing and for a Ranger owner who is use to its outstanding towing capability the 3.3 Duratec would be a step backwards (even in a PHEV configuration). The Ranger PHEV is widely reported in the automotive press to be the current 2.3 turbo combined with the 10-speed hybrid system with 362 hp and 502 lb-ft of torque. Not only will that be an incredibly fun truck to drive but it should also have unbeatable towing performance for a mid-size truck and also great MPGe when keeping it charged for shorter trips/commutes.

Brian, I think you are worrying to much about problems with the 2.3 turbo that don't exist. My Ranger has never over heated while towing (fender vents are irrelevant), there are not widespread problems caused by oil dilution and there is no need for a warm up or cool down procedure for the turbo. It is a fantastic engine and will be even more fantastic in a PHEV configuration. The wait for one is going to to be torture.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, Ford will follow the Jeep lead with the 2L turbo motor. When it does comes out hopefully Ford will be on top of their quality, the supply change will normalize and the PHEV Ranger will work well. Its the assembly of vehicles where a lot of issues arise. May have to wait to get away from the first year run.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Is this correct. Hybrid uses the gas motor to recharge the battery. The PHEV get's plugged in. Hybrid has regenerative braking. Will the Ranger PHEV have that. I don't think it will

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this correct. Hybrid uses the gas motor to recharge the battery. The PHEV get's plugged in. Hybrid has regenerative braking. Will the Ranger PHEV have that. I don't think it will
I think all of Ford's hybrids have this capability and I would expect the Ranger PHEV to do this when the battery SOC reaches the point where it begins operating in traditional hybrid mode (i.e. you have used up the energy in the battery from plug-in charging). I have a 2015 Fusion traditional hybrid (not plug-in) and the ICE is frequently charging the battery. This allows the ICE to run at it most efficent power level and direct excess engergy that is not needed for propelling the vehicle into charging the battery. The hybrid system strives to keep the battery at around a 50% SOC. This ensures that battery capacity is available when more power is required (e.g. hard acceleration or hill climbing) and at the same time allows the battery to accept more energy during regenerative braking or descending long hills. The technolgy incorporated into these hybrid systems is very impressive.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Most plug in hybrids still function like a normal hybrid but with a larger battery which requires charging from the external source on occasion. Ford's Power Boost system is a little different though, the engine doesn't shut off in that system and run on electricity only. Power Boost uses the electric motor to boost torque output and then regeneratively brake to capture waste energy.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most plug in hybrids still function like a normal hybrid but with a larger battery which requires charging from the external source on occasion. Ford's Power Boost system is a little different though, the engine doesn't shut off in that system and run on electricity only. Power Boost uses the electric motor to boost torque output and then regeneratively brake to capture waste energy.
I don't think that is true. The F-150 Powerboost does have the ability to run in EV only mode but certainly not very far. This video demonstrates EV only in the F-150 Powerboost:

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Hahaha
If they launch a simultaneously hybrid Bronco & Ranger… I actually may order the Bronco instead. I use the bed of my F150 quite a bit but I really love the looks of that Bronco.
I am also thinking along those lines. The one vehicle in the world that could stop me from buying another Ranger would be the Bronco! We will have to wait and see how the two evolve and what they offer in terms of powertrains, suspensions, music systems, etc. in the next few years. Thanks to the pandemic and the wife's retirement, we only have c. 20,000 miles on our 2019 Ranger Lariat, and so we are not in any hurry. The wife is leaning toward the Bronco, but I would miss the Ranger's bed, and we don't have room in the garage for both...

Sponsored

WiDirtFishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 - Lariat 2.7
Occupation
RN
I am also thinking along those lines. The one vehicle in the world that could stop me from buying another Ranger would be the Bronco! We will have to wait and see how the two evolve and what they offer in terms of powertrains, suspensions, music systems, etc. in the next few years. Thanks to the pandemic and the wife's retirement, we only have c. 20,000 miles on our 2019 Ranger Lariat, and so we are not in any hurry. The wife is leaning toward the Bronco, but I would miss the Ranger's bed, and we don't have room in the garage for both...
I'm thinking the bronco with a little aluminum utility trailer for when i really need it.
The more i see the Ranger become a little bit more and more underwhelmed... idk we'll see what the future holds for the NA version.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
I'm thinking the bronco with a little aluminum utility trailer for when i really need it.
The more i see the Ranger become a little bit more and more underwhelmed... idk we'll see what the future holds for the NA version.
That's what I did when I had my Sport Trac and it had a bed, just a really short one. I bought an Aluma 8'x12' utility trailer and I still use it quite a bit even with my current F-150.
At this point Ford will really have to get out of their Ranger funk here in North America before I would trade my F-150 for one. At this point, if I do anything it would be to step up to the F-150 PowerBoost, which is probably what Ford wants NA buyers to do anyway.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I did when I had my Sport Trac and it had a bed, just a really short one. I bought an Aluma 8'x12' utility trailer and I still use it quite a bit even with my current F-150.
At this point Ford will really have to get out of their Ranger funk here in North America before I would trade my F-150 for one. At this point, if I do anything it would be to step up to the F-150 PowerBoost, which is probably what Ford wants NA buyers to do anyway.
The F-150 PowerBoost is a great truck. I'm sure hoping that Ford follows through with the Ranger PHEV as it will be an even better hybrid platform and packaged in a reasonable size.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I don't think that is true. The F-150 Powerboost does have the ability to run in EV only mode but certainly not very far.
There you go, I stand corrected.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Isn't the Bronco rumored to get a hybrid powertrain in the next year or so? It seems like the Ranger in NA is really only going to benefit off of the Bronco's success and R&D. If the Bronco is/isn't getting it, expect the same with the Ranger. I'm still under the idea that the Bronco pickup IS the Ranger.
Sponsored