• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Salaried workers fill parts orders only?

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Escape SE, 23 Colorado LT
Observation...where are we getting the information that white-collar workers are being prepared to actually build vehicles. Per forum posts this is allegedly the case.

However, I've read several articles that mention they are being trained only to keep parts being manufactured and work the warehouses. I've seen nothing that state they are actually going to run the assembly line. Perhaps we have been misinterpreting, and the incorrect info keeps getting passed around?

Below are parts of four (4) different articles. None of them mention anything about actually building vehicles.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/business/...cle_cf7e62c2-3de1-11ee-b422-0faa8494899f.html

1. “Ford is planning for the possibility of a work stoppage. Safety and customer service are top priorities. We have a responsibility to our customers and dealers to ship the parts that keep Ford vehicles on the road ” Ford spokesperson Jessica Enoch told the paper. It seems the Blue Oval is making contingency plans according to a report from the Detroit Free Press. The publication obtained internal company documents related to the plan, outlined a broad strategy aimed at relocating salaried Ford workers to 20 sites across 15 states at various Ford part distribution facilities, including warehouses. The company reportedly held meetings with salaried workers about the plan and its desire to keep parts flowing to customers and dealers.

2. "Ford preparing salaried workers to fill parts orders in event of strike.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Ford said it's preparing some salaried workers to do labor work in the event of a strike. The company said it's readying those workers to handle jobs like warehouse work and operating forklifts."
"The fill-ins would assure dealerships and customers of needed parts and services."

3. "Ford preparing white-collar workers to fill parts orders.
Salaried Ford workers could soon run forklifts
if union employees walk off job next month."

4. "Ford Is Training White-Collar Employees For Warehouse Work."
Sponsored

Last edited:

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Sounds about right when I worked at a large commercial airplane manufacturer in the Pacific Northwest when we were on strike some of the salary people that had once worked in the hourly ranks would work in the shops but it was never enough to make a difference as the assembly plants were shut down.

Stave7

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge, 2022 Ford Maverick
Occupation
Ford Motor Company Electrician
I work for Ford as a wage roll employee. They will absolutely have the salary people run the assembly lines and try to build jobs.

OP
OP
Raynger24

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds about right when I worked at a large commercial airplane manufacturer in the Pacific Northwest when we were on strike some of the salary people that had once worked in the hourly ranks would work in the shops but it was never enough to make a difference as the assembly plants were shut down.
I work for Ford as a wage roll employee. They will absolutely have the salary people run the assembly lines and try to build jobs.
If I'm understanding correctly, one of you is stating the "shop part" as the assembly plants would shut down. And, the other stating, you yourself have (or at least have actually seen) salaried employees made to work the assembly line based on personal experience.

I can see both happening based upon the circumstances I guess. I just simply can't find it in any recent articles (and I have read several) that Ford intends to have salaried employees work the assembly lines this time around. Which does not mean they won't if need be.

Based upon both answers, and in retrospect, I guess the best appraoch is just wait until Sept 14th (if a strike actually occurs) and see what Ford actually does as time goes on. 🤔

Thank you both for the info.

Last edited:

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I can't say they were forced but at Boe*^g I was a tool and die maker and supported the press shop. I know salaried folks did work in the fab shop on some of the simpler small stamping and sub assembly areas but the assembly of the jet being done in other places like Renton and Everett, those birds never got finished.

Sponsored

Stave7

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If I'm understanding correctly, one of you is stating the "shop part" as the assembly plants would shut down. And, the other stating, you yourself have (or at least have actually seen) salaried employees made to work the assembly line based on personal experience.

I can see both happening based upon the circumstances I guess. I just simply can't find it in any recent articles (and I have read several) that Ford intends to have salaried employees work the assembly lines this time around. Which does not mean they won't if need be.

Based upon both answers, and in retrospect, I guess the best appraoch is just wait until Sept 14th (if a strike actually occurs) and see what Ford actually does as time goes on. 🤔

Thank you both for the info.
Ford will never own up to getting their management staff to running the line. It won’t be in any article.

My hope is that we don’t end up striking and a deal is made in time.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Ford will never own up to getting their management staff to running the line. It won’t be in any article.

My hope is that we don’t end up striking and a deal is made in time.
I’m obviously not Ford but if they wanted more leverage in UAW negotiations I can’t think of much better than saying something along the lines of “We aren’t scared of your strike threats because we can keep running without you”. Not that I agree or disagree with that, but it certainly does make a statement at the negotiating table.

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
Same here in ICT. During strike talks, all office personnel were surveyed to see what skills and experience they possessed should workers be needed. They didn't just throw Billy C Accountant, who's never performed any manual labor in his life, into the paint shop to base paint an entire aircraft. Based on Ford's quality statement I'd find it difficult to believe they wouldn't do the same.

It seems too many people are making assumptions based off nothing and then rumors spread like wildfires, especially on forms like this one.

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
I’m obviously not Ford but if they wanted more leverage in UAW negotiations I can’t think of much better than saying something along the lines of “We aren’t scared of your strike threats because we can keep running without you”. Not that I agree or disagree with that, but it certainly does make a statement at the negotiating table.
But they DO need the workers and everyone knows that. You can't leverage a product that has terrible quality issues due just filling the line with bodies that have no experience and very little training.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
But they DO need the workers and everyone knows that. You can't leverage a product that has terrible quality issues due just filling the line with bodies that have no experience and very little training.
Ford is still stuck in the middle of many years of horrible quality issues- I don't see how it can get worse! Again, you must not be understanding what people are explaining it would NOT be just ANY salaried worker tossed on the line with no training. That is 100% false and tbh, production line workers roles are truly easily replaceable- as opposed to machinists for example where advanced skills and experience are critical.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Raynger24

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here in ICT. During strike talks, all office personnel were surveyed to see what skills and experience they possessed should workers be needed. They didn't just throw Billy C Accountant, who's never performed any manual labor in his life, into the paint shop to base paint an entire aircraft. Based on Ford's quality statement I'd find it difficult to believe they wouldn't do the same. It seems too many people are making assumptions based off nothing and then rumors spread like wildfires, especially on forms like this one.
That is essentially my thoughts as well regarding this matter.

It would NOT be just ANY salaried worker tossed on the line with no training. That is 100% false and tbh.
Parphrasing the above, I have to agree. I find it a bit of a stretch that Ford would actually put salaried workers with zero, or at best, long forgotten experience working the line...actually out on the line.

Last edited:

mykrrrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor - UN white
Occupation
Analyst
This will absolutely not happen. There aren't enough workers (salary or non-union hourly) to run an assembly plant. In addition, the training it takes to build a vehicle with any kind of competency takes months. Did they have secret training sessions in the basements of all these plants or when hourly workers weren't around?

Having salary employees cover parts depot jobs is what this is all referring to.

Stave7

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I said tr
This will absolutely not happen. There aren't enough workers (salary or non-union hourly) to run an assembly plant. In addition, the training it takes to build a vehicle with any kind of competency takes months. Did they have secret training sessions in the basements of all these plants or when hourly workers weren't around?

Having salary employees cover parts depot jobs is what this is all referring to.
[/QUOTE

I said try. Not succeed. Salary cross the lines of demarcation every single day.

mykrrrr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor - UN white
Occupation
Analyst
I said try. Not succeed. Salary cross the lines of demarcation every single day.
They certainly do cross the line every day, seen it happen with my own eyes.

I'm saying there aren't enough people to even make it worth the attempt.
Sponsored