• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

UAW Demands

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
Nothing wrong with a 4-day work week, but don't expect to get paid for a day you don't work lol.

Or do it like how I do it, work four 10-hour days instead of five 8-hour days. Easy 4 day work week and I didn't need to strike or pay a racket to accomplish it.
Never said about being paid 40hrs for 32hrs of work.
Before retiring I worked retail and as a Salaried Manager I was expected to clock 54 hrs. in a 5 day week.
So 10 hrs. in 4 days for a 40hr. week is a great deal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ranger Nick

Ranger Nick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
Occupation
Lawyer
I’d like a 4 hour work week, doesn’t mean I can or should get one…

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before retiring I worked retail and as a Salaried Manager I was expected to clock 54 hrs. in a 5 day week.
You're not saying it, but the UAW are. That's what they're demanding.

fordtrks4ever

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Retired
You're not saying it, but the UAW are. That's what they're demanding.
They can demand, the question will be what will they get.
It's a negotiation, no one gets everything they want.
UAW want this Ford wants that it will end somewhere in between.
None of us have skin in the game so sit back and watch.
Looks like a lot of arm chair negotiators.
All this is a subject that divides and brings to the surface a lot of feelings.
We all need to calm down and let it play out.

1986YellowRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
The one person I know that works at Ford just retired. He was a pipe fitter at a plant here in the Midwest and made over $250k each of his last 3 years… The managers trying to keep the company competitive in a transitioning market will quickly realize that they are making $100k less than the Union employees sitting directly across the table who are asking for 40% more money. Strike imminent unless the union wakes up to the market realities.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ranger Nick

Ranger Nick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
Occupation
Lawyer
The one person I know that works at Ford just retired. He was a pipe fitter at a plant here in the Midwest and made over $250k each of his last 3 years… The managers trying to keep the company competitive in a transitioning market will quickly realize that they are making $100k less than the Union employees sitting directly across the table who are asking for 40% more money. Strike imminent unless the union wakes up to the market realities.
Wow, $250k? And people on this thread thinks they are underpaid? Had no idea…

1986YellowRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
He loved going in to work and worked lots of OT. I don’t know what his base was, but any job where you can make $250k by working hard is a great job.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
A pipe fitter is a different union, and a different trade than the manufacturing union UAW. People really far a long in a trade can easily make this but generally it requires a lot of overtime. When you reach a certain skill level you can become a Master at your trade and get a license to practice on your own and then you can have guys work for you and get paid for their labor too. This is not a typical salary or expectation of salary for a UAW worker and is a poor example to include in this discussion because it’s a different group entirely.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
“I did so everyone else should too” is not really a strong argument in my opinion. My best deal is I get to spend as much time as I can with my family and traveling. When I’m on my death bed, I’m not going to regret that I didn’t have more time to work to make shareholders richer. I’m going to regret that I didn’t get to see my kids grow up, didn’t get to go to travel to exotic places, and that I let work dictate my whole life. FWIW I work 60 hours a week as is because that’s the expectation of my customers but as soon as my first kid comes along, I will be making myself less available. I don’t work to say I did something. I do it to afford to live and do the things I love and provide for the ones I love. I don’t get the sense of pride in working your life away. I want to be found on a beach somewhere, not in a cubicle.

Sponsored

coldconfession13

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford edge
Occupation
IT
They said the same thing when the UAW asked for 40 hour work weeks decades ago, which is now the standard expectation for full time jobs across the board. Countries in Europe offer two months of vacation time a several months for maternity and paternity leave. Automation and technology were supposed to let us work less. Instead companies have had us working the same hours while producing more for them. Worker productivity has increased 300% over the last five decades while wages have only risen a fraction of that. Why do they need to continue to work 40 hours to make their wage? As the unions go, so does the rest of the country. You’re saying you don’t want a 32 hour work week? More time with your family?
Oh I would love to work a 32 hour work week but I don't expect to get paid a 40hr work week. Giving someone a free 8hrs of work doesn't make sense. You work the hours you work

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Oh I would love to work a 32 hour work week but I don't expect to get paid a 40hr work week. Giving someone a free 8hrs of work doesn't make sense. You work the hours you work
Yet for many of us, when we work a 50 hour week we don't get paid a dime extra. The 32 Hour work week will be coming. There simply aren't as many workers in this country anymore and companies will need to compete for talent. Mexican labor rates are already going up and they don't have unlimited capacity. Demographics are on the side of shorter work weeks for the same pay. Maybe not today, but in the next 10 years count on it.

Mcssls

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Nurse
Wimps. I do 6 10 to 12 hr days a week trying to run my dept. Love that double paycheck since they wanted me badly enough to agree to me never being salaried.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.