• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

UAW kicks off talks with 'Detroit Three'

Status
Not open for further replies.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
@Wags those tacos were great! You know they make BBQ tacos?
Sponsored

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
@Raynger24 I think some of the comments here are bordering on getting personal and I don’t think any of us want others getting into a personal argument and getting banned. This is a car forum after all. If we really wanted to keep this thread on track it really should be limited to discussion of the current events and happenings of the strike and not really soapboxing about political/economic opinions (for which we’ve been warned about before). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with self policing.

Just my $.02

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Lets make sure we keep things on topic and according to forum rules - lunch food isn't really about Rangers or about the UAW negotiations. If you want to talk about food, please post it in the off topic forum.

Thanks

OP
OP
Raynger24

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Escape SE, 23 Colorado LT
@Raynger24 I think some of the comments here are bordering on getting personal and I don’t think any of us want others getting into a personal argument and getting banned. This is a car forum after all. If we really wanted to keep this thread on track it really should be limited to discussion of the current events and happenings of the strike and not really soapboxing about political/economic opinions (for which we’ve been warned about before). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with self policing.
Just my $.02
Lets make sure we keep things on topic and according to forum rules - lunch food isn't really about Rangers or about the UAW negotiations. If you want to talk about food, please post it in the off topic forum.
Thanks
Your $.02 is noted and taken sincerely.

While I can't control what others write, I assure you my comments are not personal, political or otherwise. I think we have a misunderstanding regarding the reasoning behind my post. It is simply an opinion to all about civily following forum rules and keeping on topic.

If I may...paraphrasing your own words "If we really wanted to keep this thread on track it really should be limited to discussion of the current events and happenings of the strike."

I could not agree with you more on that point. Apparently so does the moderator.

Last edited:

Sponsored

jredecop

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150

Thanks
No kidding, thank you.

Randyd

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon, Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Does anyone know what the average hourly wage is for these workers including all the benefits? I heard it was around $90 an hour.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Does anyone know what the average hourly wage is for these workers including all the benefits? I heard it was around $90 an hour.
Current maximum hourly take home rate for UAW workers is $32.32 an hour. They are currently negotiating for an increase on the maximum up to $47.14. Be careful with what you read. A lot of new outlets will report UAW wages as the “cost” on the part of the manufacturer to include benefits. But no one takes home that full amount. By the time yo get through with benefits, unemployment, you actually cost your company significantly more than you take home.

Randyd

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon, Ford F150
Occupation
Retired
Current maximum hourly take home rate for UAW workers is $32.32 an hour. They are currently negotiating for an increase on the maximum up to $47.14. Be careful with what you read. A lot of new outlets will report UAW wages as the “cost” on the part of the manufacturer to include benefits. But no one takes home that full amount. By the time yo get through with benefits, unemployment, you actually cost your company significantly more than you take home.
Wow that's a far cry from 90 and hr. I finished my aviation career at $45 and hr with medical and that wasn't near enough. They do deserve a raise.

coldconfession13

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford edge
Occupation
IT
Remember they have to pay their union dues. They get an increase so does the union.

Sponsored

KevR

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor in AGM
They want a 32 hour work week at Ford in addition to a very large raise.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
They want a 32 hour work week at Ford in addition to a very large raise.
Just like any negotiation, the first offer is usually way off. I don’t believe they’re gonna get that one.

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
I don't think its the workers that get 90$/hour. The workers cost the company 90/hour with benefits etc.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
So, while there are not any for UAW members I have found there were several tiktoks, reels, etc from UPS workers when they were talking about striking and when some bs article came out about how much they made. Generally what we read on websites are rates with OT or special shift differentials and generally only "best case scenarios" for having high rates of pay.

I work with a fortune 300 company and part of what I do is set up clocking systems for companies. While I haven't done any company as large as Ford, I can tell you to reach optimal pay in many circumstances requires a lot of very weird and specific rules that must be followed as far as your time and how you do it. Chances are many workers skip their lunches, have massive black out periods on PTO, etc.

So like... UPS drivers make a shit ton of money, but they work their asses off for it and sacrifice their bodies for it and also have to fit into very specific rules and not EVERY employee gets it. I imagine it's not much different for UAW workers. in fact we know not every UAW worker gets premium pay based on some of the unions demands.

You also need to keep in mind Michigan like 48 other states has our pretty crappy OT rules the US has as well. And for workers who frequently work 12 hour shifts, sometimes 7 days in a row, that can be pretty awful. Especially because many states change rules of OT for 12 hour shifts.

Heck if we look at this article from Fox of all new orgs (not particularly worker friendly) we can see that many workers have been working 12 hour shifts for upwards of 90 days straight.

Throw all of this and the industry moving at a snails pace towards electric vehicles and the unions contracts not being included in the production of those vehicles and honestly even if I wasn't (for the most part) pro union I would understand why they are striking

Edit: forgot to include a link to the news article: https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/wo...t-urges-authorizing-strike-for-big-3-workers#

Edit 2: and in my job I see many companies and jobs that work employees to the bone like this and those employees ARENT union and basically get screwed. Nothing like talking to someone who makes 6 figures, gets 14 holidays, and gets 1-2 months in PTO, and isn't even an exec, who can't tell their ass from their chair and seeing 99% of their employees make 20k, get 3 holidays and no PTO to make you understand why unions are important.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raynger24

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Escape SE, 23 Colorado LT
Just lovely! Yes, I want employees to have fair and reasonable compensation while allowing the companies to remain competitive. The selfish side of me has a very sinking feeling this is going to push builds months into the future. :frown:

Two headlines from today Sept 1st.

AUTOS

Ford Made an Offer to the UAW Union. It Won’t Go Over Well.

UAW president dismisses Ford’s counter offer, says GM, Stellantis haven’t responded to demands

Likelihood of strike appears to be growing.

The link below is an article that provides the UAW and companies perspective up to this point.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...al-says-gm-stellantis-still-havent-responded/

The UAW’s current contracts with Ford, GM and Stellantis are set to expire on Sept. 14. Fain has made it clear that he views that date as a hard deadline, and not as a “reference point.”
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.