• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

US Raptor Best Oil Catch Can?

Top Fuel Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24' Ranger Raptor, '22 Mach1, '21 Diesel Wrangler
What's out there for oil catch cans for the Ranger Raptor that everyone likes? (US spec 24 Model year)
Sponsored

mtesni

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger Raptor, 23 Bronco Badlands
I reached out to UPR and they are looking to develop a kit for the Ranger Raptor. I would have let them use my truck to figure out the changes vs the Bronco Raptor kit but I'm too far away. If anyone is in the South Florida and interested I helping out drop them a line.

BlckHwk23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado 1500 Duramax
I reached out to UPR and they are looking to develop a kit for the Ranger Raptor. I would have let them use my truck to figure out the changes vs the Bronco Raptor kit but I'm too far away. If anyone is in the South Florida and interested I helping out drop them a line.
Yeah I reached out to them tooā€¦.cricketsā€¦.

hopefully they have something in the works. All it would require is redesigning the bracket I would think. The rest of the engine and associated lines is exactly the same

AlpineBike

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
What leads you guys to think that the factory crank case ventilation system is inadequate?

OP
OP
Top Fuel Friday

Top Fuel Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What leads you guys to think that the factory crank case ventilation system is inadequate?
My direct experience with Fords (11) and every turbo or supercharged car I've ever owned (7). The ventilation system is fine, it's just not keeping oil from getting back into the intake which leads to buildup on the valves I'd rather prevent early.

Sponsored

AlpineBike

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
My direct experience with Fords (11) and every turbo or supercharged car I've ever owned (7). The ventilation system is fine, it's just not keeping oil from getting back into the intake which leads to buildup on the valves I'd rather prevent early.
Is that in stock configuration? Or with a tune that raises the boost.
My ā€˜18 Focus RS did just fine in that dept. until I raised the boost.

Also, was the PCV inspected?
Most catch can installs I find that the PCV is removed or malfunctioning and the owners arenā€™t changing their oil as often as the should not are they using the correct grade oil.
Oil thatā€™s specifically rated for these DI motors have detergents in them specifically to mitigate that carbon buildup on the intake valves.

OP
OP
Top Fuel Friday

Top Fuel Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that in stock configuration? Or with a tune that raises the boost.
My ā€˜18 Focus RS did just fine in that dept. until I raised the boost.
Both, Didn't notice a super meaningful increase when I pully swapped my 03' cobra - but most of those vehicles were not modified in a way that turned up the boost. Most were NA.

AlpineBike

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Both, Didn't notice a super meaningful increase when I pully swapped my 03' cobra - but most of those vehicles were not modified in a way that turned up the boost. Most were NA.
An ā€˜03 Cobra shares absolutely nothing in common with the crank case ventilation system of this modern gen of ecoboost engines.

OP
OP
Top Fuel Friday

Top Fuel Friday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ok....... thanks for the tech tip.

Last edited:

1TruckLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Edge ST, 2024 Ranger Raptor (On Order)
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I don't understand how the design of the PCV would prevent the need of a catch can since all it is doing is recirculating the crankcase pressure into the intake manifold. Also, even if the oil is designed to work with DI engines, its still best to mitigate the oil from getting to the intake in the first place. Also, regardless if the engine has been modified or not, ecoboost engines are relatively potent compared to NA engines of yesteryear, so you're more than likely going to get blowby at some point in the engines life. Especially if you drive under boost more often. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Sponsored

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
You're not wrong. Take off any intake with some mileage on the vehicle and you'll find it coated in oil.

Every car forum has this debate at length whether or not a catch can is needed. The HP performance geeks will swear by them, the die hard stock configuration fan bois will claim Ford didn't add them from the factory so it's pointless. The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I'll run one when somebody comes out with one.

Ag3ntC00p3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor
I love it when people say they arenā€™t needed because the manufacturer didnā€™t include one. I firmly believe the reason they donā€™t add them is they require a lot more direct user maintenance, especially in cold weather environments. If you donā€™t check them at least once a week in winter the condensate can freeze and choke out your engine. They work as designed but a user has to take some responsibility and properly maintain them.

ivotuk

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT
I love it when people say they arenā€™t needed because the manufacturer didnā€™t include one. I firmly believe the reason they donā€™t add them is they require a lot more direct user maintenance, especially in cold weather environments. If you donā€™t check them at least once a week in winter the condensate can freeze and choke out your engine. They work as designed but a user has to take some responsibility and properly maintain them.
Excellent point. These days one must provide people with idiot proof mechanics.
Every decade increases the percentage of people that will fall for the "muffler bearings," and "piston return spring" gag.
Sponsored