• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ordering - What Engine you gonna order? Poll

• Total voters

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I voted 2.3, but it really depends on what comes with a possible future PHEV. I don't do major towing and the turbo 4 is plenty power for what I do.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACHER
Just seeing what engine choice US customers are gonna order for the new Ranger.

I’m on the fence now, 2.3 or 2.7. My Bronco has the 2.7 and it’s a great engine. Never driven the 2.3.
I am on the fence, too, but not in the same way. When the time comes, it will be the 2.7 or the 3.0, but probably the 2.7, which is what I voted for above. It all depends on what members and outside reviewers say about the suspension systems on the Raptor vs. the Tremor (if there is a Tremor), not to mention my own test drives...

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I am on the fence, too, but not in the same way. When the time comes, it will be the 2.7 or the 3.0, but probably the 2.7, which is what I voted for above. It all depends on what members and outside reviewers say about the suspension systems on the Raptor vs. the Tremor (if there is a Tremor), not to mention my own test drives...
I can tell you now, if the tremor is anything like the last one, it doesn't even compare to the Raptor. We got the tremor as the FX4 Max, all the initial reviews seemed positive (i.e. it's a Raptor with 3500kg towing) then reality set in, it rode weird. The Raptor was significantly more sophisticated in ride.

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
I voted 2.7 but I'm probably more on the fence between that and the Raptor. It really comes down to pricing and whether or not there is a Tremor in the somewhat near future.

My other concern is how the Ranger platform in general will fare from a corrosion perspective when compared to my current F-150. I live in the Northeast "rust belt" and the aluminum body on the F-series is a valid issue. My '18 F-150 has now survived it's 4th winter and shows no corrosion issues other than some light surface rust on a few spots of the steel frame and suspension components which is to be expected. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has a current gen Ranger to compare that to.

The other obvious benefit of the aluminum body is weight. My F-150 crewcab is pretty well loaded, including V8 and 4x4 but its gross weight is still a few hundred pounds lower than the Ranger Raptor. I would honestly expect my truck to get better fuel mileage than the RR which is a somewhat irrelevant concern when it comes to high performance 4x4's. If you are seriously concerned about fuel mileage you probably shouldn't be buying a 4x4 of any sort.

LarryRG

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Contractor
Historically the diesels offered better economy, were more reliable and lasted significantly longer. Now days it's a different story.
True! I was helping my uncle install the suspension and shocks from 4Wheelonline onto his Wrangler and mentioned how he likes the reliability of the old diesel engines compare to the new ones.

Sponsored

BlueOval5.0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow Pkg, 18” Wheels, White Platinum,
Occupation
Professional Jackass
2.7 is a no brainer for me, I want the CGI block and dual injection. I had the 2.3 in my 2019 and it is fine, was just concerned about longevity and valve issues with direct injection only.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I thought the only engine available for order now is the 2.3? Who knows if or when Ford will actually add any more options... Later availability doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

BlueOval5.0

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow Pkg, 18” Wheels, White Platinum,
Occupation
Professional Jackass
I thought the only engine available for order now is the 2.3? Who knows if or when Ford will actually add any more options... Later availability doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Looks like you may be right, the 2.7 is not listed as an option with late availability. I wonder if it will be offered at all.

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Looks like you may be right, the 2.7 is not listed as an option with late availability. I wonder if it will be offered at all.
If 2.7 doesn't make it to the table I'm not upgrading.

SuperDave150

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Ford F150, Bronco
Occupation
Analyst
2.7 is a no brainer for me, I want the CGI block and dual injection. I had the 2.3 in my 2019 and it is fine, was just concerned about longevity and valve issues with direct injection only.
Ditto. I have the 2.7 in my Bronco. Got it largely for the dual injection setup which addresses carbon buildup. Also fantastic power (have already embarrassed Tacomas with shocking authority!)! Getting 20-21 MPG. And 6 is better than 4. 🤣

Sponsored

SuperDave150

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge, Ford F150, Bronco
Occupation
Analyst
Cool your jets. Be patient. The 2.7 will arrive. It is proven in F150. It is strong. You will be glad you waited.

OP
OP

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, Subaru Crosstrek
Ditto. I have the 2.7 in my Bronco. Got it largely for the dual injection setup which addresses carbon buildup. Also fantastic power (have already embarrassed Tacomas with shocking authority!)! Getting 20-21 MPG. And 6 is better than 4. 🤣
Not sure how you are getting 20-21 mpg. Do you not have Sasquatch and the 4.7 gears?

Mine only gets 17-18. But I’m rolling on Sasquatch.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Cool your jets. Be patient. The 2.7 will arrive. It is proven in F150. It is strong. You will be glad you waited.
naw, been there, done that with my Maverick. Time isn't on my side. I have a firm understanding of Ford's recent product rollout history and processes. Also experienced the endless delays with missed and extended deadlines and lacking timely communication and updates in between. Night and day difference between buying our 2018 F-150 off the lot locally through trusted local dealer and experiencing ordering debacle alongside them in post-Covid reality.

All new reveals out now and I think my best option is not Blue Oval for upgrading over my Maverick.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I voted 2.7 but I'm probably more on the fence between that and the Raptor. It really comes down to pricing and whether or not there is a Tremor in the somewhat near future.

My other concern is how the Ranger platform in general will fare from a corrosion perspective when compared to my current F-150. I live in the Northeast "rust belt" and the aluminum body on the F-series is a valid issue. My '18 F-150 has now survived it's 4th winter and shows no corrosion issues other than some light surface rust on a few spots of the steel frame and suspension components which is to be expected. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has a current gen Ranger to compare that to.

The other obvious benefit of the aluminum body is weight. My F-150 crewcab is pretty well loaded, including V8 and 4x4 but its gross weight is still a few hundred pounds lower than the Ranger Raptor. I would honestly expect my truck to get better fuel mileage than the RR which is a somewhat irrelevant concern when it comes to high performance 4x4's. If you are seriously concerned about fuel mileage you probably shouldn't be buying a 4x4 of any sort.
same with our 2018 F-150 SCab Sport 6' bed 4x4 with Coyote. Super reliable so far with everything we need and nothing we didn't want, off the lot new. We can actually average 22 mpg on 100 mi. round trips over varied terrain/hills here in CO, and up to 27 MPG on similar flat terrain trips. This is best case with just the 2 of us and minimal gear in cab, not hauling in bed or towing and no headwinds. Doesn't need turbos to manage this either. It's a keeper.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thought that was supposed to be fixed in the new 2.3 or did I hear wrong?
Sponsored