• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

administrator

Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Ford Expands Ranger Family with First Ever Ranger Plug-in Hybrid, including Pro Power Onboard

• Ford will introduce Plug-in Hybrid technology to the mid-size truck segment with its first ever Ranger Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle in early 2025
  • Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will offer zero-tailpipe emission driving in addition to the essential Ranger towing, off-road, and payload capabilities, and more torque than any other Ranger
  • Pro Power Onboard™ 1 means customers can leave the generator at home and free up cargo space; with enough energy to power remote camp or worksites
MELBOURNE, Australia, September 19, 2023 Ford will offer customers a plug-in hybrid version of Australia’s favourite 4x4 pick-up from early 2025. Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will combine electric driving capability with the adventure-ready versatility and work-ready dependability customers have come to expect from Ranger.

The first ever Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will mark a significant step forward in Ford’s plans to offer a wide range of powertrain options for customers in the mid-sized pick-up segment.

“The Ranger Plug-in Hybrid is a best-of-both-worlds solution for work, play, and family – offering customers zero-tailpipe emissions EV driving for short trips, or hybrid performance that delivers incredible on- and off-road performance,” said Andrew Birkic, President and CEO, Ford Australia and New Zealand.

“Ranger Plug-In Hybrid will bring all of the towing and payload capability our Australian customers expect of Ranger, and with Pro Power Onboard for the first time, Ranger owners will have power for both work and play.”

Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will deliver more torque than any other Ranger, thanks to a 2.3-litre Ford EcoBoost turbo petrol engine paired with an electric motor and rechargeable battery system. It can be driven in pure electric mode for more than 45 kilometres2 without using a drop of fuel or producing tailpipe emissions, helping customers save at the pump.

This EV only capability will be extremely useful for Australian Ranger customers, with more than half travelling 40km or less per day.3

The targeted maximum braked towing capacity of the Ranger Plug-In Hybrid is 3,500 kg – the same as the rest of the Ranger line-up.4

Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will also feature Pro Power Onboard, enabling customers to power their tools and appliances on a worksite or remote campsite by plugging them into power outlets embedded in both the cargo bed and the cabin. That means noisy, bulky, heavy generators can be left at home, leaving more space in the cargo bed for other gear and equipment.

In addition to having on-demand electricity, Ranger Plug-in Hybrid’s EV drive modes will give customers more flexibility in deciding how and when to use the EV battery power.

Ranger Plug-In Hybrid also comes equipped with Ranger’s proven four-wheel-drive capability, selectable drive modes and advanced driver safety and driver assist features.5

“The Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will help our customers move into an electrified future, with the confidence and capability that only Ranger can provide. Ranger Plug-in Hybrid will join the Ford Australia line-up as our fifth electrified vehicle alongside Mach-E, E-Transit, E-Transit Custom and Puma BEV,” Birkic concluded.

1. Pro Power Onboard may vary between models and markets and is subject to regulatory approvals. Electrical outputs to be published closer to the on-sale date.

2. Officially homologated energy efficiency figures including driving range will be published closer to the on-sale date for Australia using ADR 81/02 certification. Over 45km is the targeted range based on manufacturer-tested values and calculations according to the Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP). Actual range varies with conditions such as external elements, driving behaviour, vehicle maintenance, payload, towing, battery age and state of health.

3. Next-Generation Ranger connected vehicle data, 1 June 2022 – 5 September 2023.

4. Maximum towing capacity-braked using a Genuine Ford tow pack. Subject to State and Territory regulations. To comply with these limits, occupants and/or luggage may need to be restricted to not exceed the GCM and GVM limits. For further details regarding passenger and luggage restrictions, please consult your authorized Ford Dealer and/or refer to the Owner’s Manual.

5. Driver-assist features are supplemental and do not replace the driver’s attention, judgment and need to control the vehicle. May not operate at certain speeds, or in certain driving, road, or weather conditions.

6. Always consult the Owner’s Manual before off-road driving, know your terrain and trail difficulty and use appropriate safety gear.

# # #

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_23-PHEV - R34 Static RHD

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_23-PHEV City Driving Rear RHD

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_23-PHEV City Driving RHD

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_23-PHEV Closeup - Bolt

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_23-PHEV Closeup - Chargin

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_23-PHEV Closeup - Wheels RHD

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_PHEV - Side View Static - RHD Standard - CHARGING

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_PHEV - Side View Static - RHD Standard

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) P703_PHEV Closeup - Pro Power Standard

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU - Towing Road Hero

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Beach Brunch ProPower R34

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Boat Ramp Backup v4

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Caravan Fishing R34

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Charging Close Up v2

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Driveway Charging Rear

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Pro Power Close U

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Pro Power Rear

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Tailgate Bench

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger_PHEV_AU_Home Chargin

Ford Ranger 2025 Ranger PHEV Hybrid Revealed w/ Pro Power Onboard, 28 Miles Range, Arriving Early 2025 (Europe/AUS) Ranger PHEV_AU_Split Backplate OOH

lolnah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT F150, 14 Stang vert, 2004 ST, CX30
There's NOTHING like this in the US, yet I see no mention of Fords best market. What is Farley doing?

This really needs to get to the US next year.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
There's NOTHING like this in the US, yet I see no mention of Fords best market. What is Farley doing?

This really needs to get to the US next year.
Rangers trail the pack on sales in the midsize market in the US. I think the only truck they beat recently was the Colorado

lolnah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT F150, 14 Stang vert, 2004 ST, CX30
Rangers trail the pack on sales in the midsize market in the US. I think the only truck they beat recently was the Colorado
This is a clear differentiator and all the more reason to focus efforts.

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
This is a clear differentiator and all the more reason to focus efforts.
They already make a much larger profit on f150s and have been the number one selling vehicle in America for 30 years.

While I wish they would put more effort in their midsize segment it also doesn’t make a ton of sense for them to

Sponsored

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
They already make a much larger profit on f150s and have been the number one selling vehicle in America for 30 years.

While I wish they would put more effort in their midsize segment it also doesn’t make a ton of sense for them to
I believe you're right that that is Fords reasoning.

However, I think it's flawed. Ford plays defense on these choices instead of playing offense. Instead of giving people the vehicles they want, they withhold vehicles hoping they'll buy another Ford product instead.

Another example is not offering the Everest in USA because it will take from the Explorer... nevermind that means people just buy a 4Runner instead. These are the same people that wouldn't sell a 4dr Ranger in the USA for years because they were playing defense of the SuperCrew.

C'mon Ford, give the people what they want!

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
I believe you're right that that is Fords reasoning.

However, I think it's flawed. Ford plays defense on these choices instead of playing offense. Instead of giving people the vehicles they want, they withhold vehicles hoping they'll buy another Ford product instead.

Another example is not offering the Everest in USA because it will take from the Explorer... nevermind that means people just buy a 4Runner instead. These are the same people that wouldn't sell a 4dr Ranger in the USA for years because they were playing defense of the SuperCrew.

C'mon Ford, give the people what they want!
Idk. They spend millions on market research. They probably have a better grasp of things than us on this front

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
I commented this elsewhere. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Ranger the F-150 to the rest of the world? Whereas the F-150 is Ford's crown jewel truck in the US, the Ranger fills that gap in the rest of the world. Thus, the global ranger comes with options not seen in the US like diesel powertrains, bed-less variants, etc. Therefore since the US has a Pro Power F-150, the rest of the world needs a Pro Power Ranger to fill that gap.

The US market isn't friendly to midsize trucks (outside of Toyota fanboys), and Ford is far from leading this pack. On top of that, the F-150 is Ford America's crown jewel. They will not allow any of it's other trucks to outshine it; I believe this is why the F-150 refresh looks different from the Maverick, new Ranger, and new SuperDuty (no obvious C-clamp headlights or central horizontal bar). Plus, it seems like the consumer market favors the cabin comfort for at least 4 passengers; why get a Ranger when you can better comfort in either a Maverick (unibody comfort) or a F-150 (giant cab). Not only that, I have seen in VA and MD companies and government agencies phasing out Ranger fleets with Mavericks or just full blown F-150s.

The Ranger has fans (as obvious due to us commenting on this forum) but not enough to really push Ford to give us the good stuff first if at all. I only see a hybrid Ranger coming to the US under one of two circumstances:
  1. Ford creates some sort of "PowerBoost MAX" PHEV for the F-150 where MPG and Pro Power are beyond anything the Ranger can do
  2. The Ranger is retooled into a regular HEV under the PowerBoost banner
Even with that, we're looking at 2025 for an announcement at best for the US.

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor, '24 BMW IX EV
Occupation
None of your business!
Fijian here living in California. In Pacific, Ford Ranger is the king of trucks, bar none. Whenever I'm there, I usually drive the diesel Ranger Raptor.

Ford also releases awesome models like the new Everest (my family drives one back home). In US, we get plain jane models and always trailing Toyota.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Idk. They spend millions on market research. They probably have a better grasp of things than us on this front
That's why there's no demand for 4dr midsized trucks (like the Ranger Crew Cab that they sold ROW that they wouldn't sell here for years and years), or for small truck-based SUVs like the 4Runner that they sell ROW labeled as the Everest, or even the Bronco to compete with the Wrangler that they just conceded to Jeep for decades before deciding to compete.

That's two significant segments that Ford didn't compete in the USA but gave the market to others (4Runner & Wrangler) plus the 4dr Ranger they sold elsewhere but kept out of the USA... when now the 4dr is the only truck they sell because it turns out that's what buyers actually want to buy.

They either:

-didn't know their market

-watched others be successful ina segment but didn't realize to compete in it

-or consciously decided to not compete because they didn't want to cannibalize other vehicles.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Maybe it has to do with Ford not having a US sourced battery that meets the US tax credit criteria yet. So maybe a couple years down the road ? Also newer battery technology may exist by then and extend the range.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
While I would love a hybrid Ranger, I hope the NA market gets a 2.3 L with Pro Power hybrid. My truck gets parked outside and the idea of having plugging it in is a big drawback. I will be very interested in the Tacoma I-Force Max hybrid coming next spring. With all of the trim packages, 3 engine options, and multiple cab/bed configurations, Toyota is the only manufacturer who is giving the midsized market what they want. For that reason after almost 30 years behind the wheel of a Ford truck, I’ll likely be in a Toyota Tacoma a year from now. Weird even thinking about that!

Pac987

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Anybody have a guess whether we will see this in North America? I give it a 10% chance that we will, although I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
I have seen some articles that Ford is working on a PHEV for the Bronco. I think you can bank on that since Jeep already has the Wrangler 4xe (a PHEV). Because the Bronco and Ranger are on the same platform, offer the same power trains (so far) and they go down the same assembly line I am hopeful that we will eventually see the Ranger PHEV here in the USA. I'm trusting that Ford will not break my heart as I remember all the debate and speculation concerning whether or not the 2024 Ranger would get the 2.7 Ecoboost.
Sponsored