• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Dash cams

EFNFAST

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 ZR-1 Corvette, 2019 Ranger
Anybody know anything about dash cams? Ford has four in their accessories, but they don't really explain what the differenses are.
Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO the ford options look extremely overpriced. I'm a big advocate for dashcams in my vehicles but I'll just DIY once the truck arrives.

There are a ton of forums that will suggest you the best value cams and hooking them up is super easy. Black friday/christmas time always has good discounts.

OP
OP

EFNFAST

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Some of the Ford camera's look like they integrate with the truck. I assume a stand alone unit is ok?

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Some of the Ford camera's look like they integrate with the truck. I assume a stand alone unit is ok?
Where are you seeing them at? I think they were previously shown in build&price, but looking now I'm not seeing them as options.

But yeah, any stand-alone unit should work just the same. There are different form factors, some are more long and skinny, others look more like a box. And then different quality of course. I wouldn't get anything below 1080p, but 4k is probably not much more expensive and will help you read license plates if you ever need to.

In my 2017 focus, ford actually included a built-in channel from the rearview, along the top of the glass, down the passenger side pillar and doorpanel that was made specifically for hiding dashcam wires. I installed a VIOFO cam from amazon and have never had any issues. Hopefully the ranger also comes with some integrated area for keeping these wires out of view.

The only "hard" part is if you decide to hardwire the cam straight to your fusebox. I just run mine off an extra USB port in the center console, but you may get slightly better performance with the fusebox method.

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are under accessories, electronics.
Okay, so for example they make it hard to find the exact product specs for those cams but they include the SKUs that you can google to get an idea of how much they are gouging.

https://accessories.ford.com/4k-ultra-hd-dashcam-with-rear-facing-camera-bundle-1
SKU: VNL3Z19G490D

Ford site lists at $699, googling it the first page of results shows prices as low as $530

https://accessories.ford.com/dashcam-with-rear-facing-camera-bundle-1
Ford Price: $309, other websites showing $230.

and i don't even know what makes these so special...you can get equivalent generic (aka not ford branded) cams off amazon for way cheaper generally. I'd just recommend keeping an eye out during black friday and doing a bit of research on current best options, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues no matter which brand you go with.

Front only cams are usually good enough if you are on a budget, but a rear facing cam can save you some headaches in rare situations.

Be careful which SD card you insert into these as well, the cheap chinese junk often aren't made for continuous writes that a dashcam will be doing. They do make SD cards that will work fine and they cost slightly more, but you just need to be aware that a cheap card can fail much quicker. Size of SD card also effects how much footage you can store. A small capacity card with a 4k camera won't hold much data, and you might find after an accident and driving home that your crash footage has already been overwritten.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
They don’t “integrate” any different than a third party camera. They stick on the windshield and get wired in. The cameras that Ford offers are from Thinkware and are overpriced. They’re low resolution compared to what’s out there now. Just watch some reviews and look at forums to get a good recommendation. FWIW, the Ranger has a usb plug in the base of the rear view mirror so the wiring is nothing more than plugging it in if you use a single camera.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FWIW, the Ranger has a usb plug in the base of the rear view mirror so the wiring is nothing more than plugging it in if you use a single camera.
This is amazing if true. I wonder if they offer a similar plug for a rear-cam.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
This is amazing if true. I wonder if they offer a similar plug for a rear-cam.
“If true” come on have I ever lied to you before?

No plug for rear camera but the rear cameras usually plug into the front cameras on those dual camera set ups. So you’ll be doing some trim removal to route that.

Make sure you buy a camera with a Sony Starvis 2 sensor. That’s currently the state of the art in dash cams with superior detail resolve and fantastic night time performance. When you choose your cam, prioritize FPS over resolution. Nothing worse than a license plate that you can read because it’s blurred between frames.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
The only "Integration" for the Dash Cam is the wiring Harness connects to the existing OBD2 Port for power and provides an extra OBD2 Port which you secure to the under dash area near the original so you don't have to remove the dash cam connection when you or a shop need to connect a diagnostic tool to it. Front and rear Wiring is designed to go up the A Pillar, under the head liner along the doors and allows a Rear camera to be attached to the rrear window. have ad one on my 2019 Ranger since New in Feb 2019.

Sponsored
OP
OP

EFNFAST

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, thanks for the great info guys.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
“If true” come on have I ever lied to you before?

No plug for rear camera but the rear cameras usually plug into the front cameras on those dual camera set ups. So you’ll be doing some trim removal to route that.

Make sure you buy a camera with a Sony Starvis 2 sensor. That’s currently the state of the art in dash cams with superior detail resolve and fantastic night time performance. When you choose your cam, prioritize FPS over resolution. Nothing worse than a license plate that you can read because it’s blurred between frames.
Installation off front and rear camera wiring firm Ford accessories Took about 1 hour. Trim removal was minimal and very easy as it’s just the pieces over the doors so you can access the headliner edge. A pillar trim didn’t need to be removed as the wire slipped easily under the edge of the trim up to the headliner and the trim by the front door on driver side.

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
I'm running a Rexing brand dual camera. 2K up front and 1080P out back. Works great and easy to hook up. Also turns on if somebody runs into vehicle in parking lot.

SurfRanger

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Occupation
Product Design Engineer
if your looking for a super minimal setup I do like the Garmin dash cam mini. Software is not great and all but it's been pretty reliable for the past 2 years and it is tiny. most people who get in my car either dont notice it or dont know what it is. Comes with a long usb cable that was easy to hide in the rear view mirror assy / run down through the trim to the console usb ports by just prying up trim but not removing anything. Not the best option but simple and quickly forgettable.