• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

NHTSA - Ford 2.7 & 3.0 biturbo engine reliability

TDPD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4runner - '24 RR on order
Looks like the NHTSA are expanding their earlier investigation into ‘21 and ‘22 model year vehicles with the 2.7 & 3.0 liter V6’s. Sounds like there was a faulty intake valve which (in later models?) Ford supposedly switched out to a material less prone to becoming brittle during the manufacturing process. These affected valves could then fracture leading to catastrophic engine failure.

I really hope they have figured out and addressed the underlying issue(s).

https://tflcar.com/2023/10/ford-engine-failures-ecoboost-investigation-news/

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...00-ford-suvs-over-engine-failures-2023-10-02/
Sponsored

Zackattack2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gmc canyon
Occupation
Tech
Looks like the NHTSA are expanding their earlier investigation into ‘21 and ‘22 model year vehicles with the 2.7 & 3.0 liter V6’s. Sounds like there was a faulty intake valve which (in later models?) Ford supposedly switched out to a material less prone to becoming brittle during the manufacturing process. These affected valves could then fracture leading to catastrophic engine failure.

I really hope they have figured out and addressed the underlying issue(s).

https://tflcar.com/2023/10/ford-engine-failures-ecoboost-investigation-news/

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...00-ford-suvs-over-engine-failures-2023-10-02/
They already figured out the issue. Just read the ford authority.
They used a bad type of metal in the engines. The engines have been updated with a different alloy

OP
OP
TDPD

TDPD

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4runner - '24 RR on order
They already figured out the issue. Just read the ford authority.
They used a bad type of metal in the engines. The engines have been updated with a different alloy
Agreed. That’s what I was trying to say here but probably wasn’t clear:

“Sounds like there was a faulty intake valve which (in later models?) Ford supposedly switched out to a material less prone to becoming brittle during the manufacturing process”

But, I guess you could say it still worries me a bit and I’m concerned whether they have truly addressed the underlying issues. It’s not causing me to cancel my order but a situation I would keep an eye on.

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
Hearing stuff like this makes me miss pushrods. Sounds like a supplier likes to cook their product a bit too long in the heat treat bin.

Sponsored

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
  • Sad
Reactions: Jab

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
The article says only 12 have been identified. I’m willing to bet it as a bad batch and not a systemic issue considering how small the list is. Remember they’ve had them since 2022 which lines up with the other batch

Reactions: Jab

Mikknj

First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT Cactus Grey
The article says only 12 have been identified. I’m willing to bet it as a bad batch and not a systemic issue considering how small the list is. Remember they’ve had them since 2022 which lines up with the other batch
Just get a 2.3L and go have fun -- it's tried and tested... :cool:

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Agreed. That’s what I was trying to say here but probably wasn’t clear:

“Sounds like there was a faulty intake valve which (in later models?) Ford supposedly switched out to a material less prone to becoming brittle during the manufacturing process”

But, I guess you could say it still worries me a bit and I’m concerned whether they have truly addressed the underlying issues. It’s not causing me to cancel my order but a situation I would keep an eye on.
They switched to a different alloy. Sounds like they addressed any "underlying issues" to me. What more are you expecting?
Sponsored