• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not entirely true. Wait times for Escape hybrids and Escape PHEVs is very long. I just got a build date of 07/31/2023 and order was confirmed on 11/04/22 (9 months) for my Escape PHEV.
when i wrote all of these comments i was not referring to PHEVs because they are generally a premium purchase over ICE vehicles and wouldn't appeal to people looking for the cheaper option. plus PHEVs have their own supply constraints across all manufacturers and that's not really a ford problem.

my local ford dealer has plenty ICE escapes, edges, explorers and F150s on the lot. even a lot of bronco sports that aren't moving.
Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are still building small cars around the world where it is PROVEN profitable still and I give them benefit of the doubt they can forecast American market better than me :wink: Keeping factories and purchasing $ obligated to building vehicles they deemed unprofitable (being competitive for the same $ as other companies is part of profitability) and ties their hands on repurposing existing factory capacity for other upcoming models. You have to remember union contracts are part of this too with guaranteed work for X years at any facility. It is just more expensive to build anything in USA and they are massively investing in building up infrastructure for the Ford E future. They don't have unlimited $ to build anything they want in any market segment and risk a huge fail bringing down the whole company. A lot of this looks easy from the outside, but the b!tch is in the details...
Small cars are more profitable in other countries because those people weren't obsessed with oversized vehicles and they weren't living in the best economy we had seen for decades. So they weren't buying oversized vehicles just like american's weren't buying small cars in 2015-2019.

Now we have been thrust into an economy where americans are begging for small cheap cars and ford made the dumb decision to cut them out of the lineup, so other companies have one less competitor in a market with demand.

"I give them benefit of the doubt they can forecast American market better than me" - i'm sure they can in some ways, but i'd bet my life savings on them being unable to predict COVID 1.5 years early and the economy the resulted from authoritarian COVID policies. No one had "record amount of auto-loan defaults, vehicle shortages, record gas prices and soaring inflation" on their bingo cards for 2021 in 2018-2019 (ford decided to remove cars from USA in 2018), but i think most companies would have made vastly different decisions if they were able to predict our unexpected future.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
No one had "record amount of auto-loan defaults, vehicle shortages, record gas prices and soaring inflation" on their bingo cards
In hindsight, it seems ridiculous. Who could have thought a decade of quantitative easing and $7,000,000,000,000 in deficit spending in the previous three years would've caused inflation 🤦

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Small cars are more profitable in other countries because those people weren't obsessed with oversized vehicles and they weren't living in the best economy we had seen for decades. So they weren't buying oversized vehicles just like american's weren't buying small cars in 2015-2019.

Now we have been thrust into an economy where americans are begging for small cheap cars and ford made the dumb decision to cut them out of the lineup, so other companies have one less competitor in a market with demand.

"I give them benefit of the doubt they can forecast American market better than me" - i'm sure they can in some ways, but i'd bet my life savings on them being unable to predict COVID 1.5 years early and the economy the resulted from authoritarian COVID policies. No one had "record amount of auto-loan defaults, vehicle shortages, record gas prices and soaring inflation" on their bingo cards for 2021 in 2018-2019 (ford decided to remove cars from USA in 2018), but i think most companies would have made vastly different decisions if they were able to predict our unexpected future.
I don't know of a single American "begging for small cheap cars" LOL. Where do you come up with this stuff? American's savings accounts and available spending ability INCREASED during the shutdown do to all the gov't spending and left massive pent-up demand for goods to unleash once economies opened again. IMO, You're just not seeing the big picture here with Ford. Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan and others in that segment all continue making small cars cheaper with more profit margin than Ford can- that's the competing part. And the forecasting part. There was a time not long ago analysts were predicting possible bankruptcy was near for Ford and go look at their stock price crash for indicators why that was floated. They made a business decision the return on investment simply wasn't there to continue in that segment, but they DID introduce Bronco Sport & Maverick which are home runs and serve the same entry level purpose AND make $.

You are also reinforcing my earlier point about unforeseen events beyond Ford's control like the catastrophic semi fascist voluntary and unnecessary global economic shutdown for COVID. Had Ford actually continued with all those unprofitable segments with huge $ liabilities and debts during that shutdown, they very well may have gone bankrupt with vastly reduced cash flow to keep the company running. They may have been more lucky than prescient there, but I don't see any downside whatsoever to the decision to exit unprofitable segments to focus on profitable segments- and their rising stock price and increasing financial health bears that out.

We're obviously talking past each other on this and we can each have our own opinions on the issue at hand. That's how these boards work and it's all good 🌈🦄🕺

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
Anyone else priority code 19? I asked my dealer but he said all the orders are priority 19.
Are you ordering a non-Raptor? 19 is the lowest priority for retail order. If this is for a Raptor, your dealer is really playing games with you.

Sponsored

BigDamnHeroes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Anyone else priority code 19? I asked my dealer but he said all the orders are priority 19.
19 is default for retail orders... and unless your dealer has a ton of identical orders to yours.. it really doesn't mean anything else.

ROBOT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
Are you ordering a non-Raptor? 19 is the lowest priority for retail order. If this is for a Raptor, your dealer is really playing games with you.
Unfortunately just a Lariat. Wife would kill me if I tried to get the raptor!

ROBOT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger FX4 Lariat
19 is default for retail orders... and unless your dealer has a ton of identical orders to yours.. it really doesn't mean anything else.
Gotcha I wasnt really sure but they said they didnt receive a ton of orders. I believe them too after listening Long Mcarthurs order #'s(think he said like 1500). Thank you for the info.

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
Gotcha I wasnt really sure but they said they didnt receive a ton of orders. I believe them too after listening Long Mcarthurs order #'s(think he said like 1500). Thank you for the info.
Yeah, I think you'll be good to go. Doesn't seem like there is Maverick/Bronco level of demand, so you'll be in good shape.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know of a single American "begging for small cheap cars" LOL. Where do you come up with this stuff?
I talk to people in the real world and see their frustrations with the current market. Go out and talk to some people who unexpectedly lost their primary mode of transportation in the last year or two (the type of person driving the same hatchback/sedan over the last 10 years). They don't want a crossover. They don't want a truck. They don't want to spend $30k on whatever sedans are left in the USA. They don't want something premium or luxury that will spike their insurance rates. They want a cheap replacement car that will get them from A to B. This is the exact market that the focus & fiesta shined in. It is the market that American's weren't interested in until fascist COVID policies and their consequences made many americans wake up to their dire financials that were never really sustainable in a pre-covid world, but accelerated in a post-covid world.

American's savings accounts and available spending ability INCREASED during the shutdown do to all the gov't spending and left massive pent-up demand for goods to unleash once economies opened again.
Yes we all got our gimmies during the shutdown, and now that the chickens have come to roost we are feeling the negatives of acting like money can endlessly be printed and rent & loan payments can be paused forever. Printing money always leads to inflation and when you print as much money as we did during COVID, well....those of us who listened to Dr. Paul knew exactly what was coming and aren't surprised by this outcome.

Auto loan delinquencies hit an all time high just a few months ago, even higher than 2008. In what world does that indicate that people will continue to buy large vehicles beyond their means? To most of us this is the canary in the coal mine of what is yet to come, and when you see that canary you don't decide to continue spending beyond your means. You budget, reduce waste and downsize where applicable.

"New cars, once part of the American Dream, now out of reach for many" - https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/05/07/new-car-market-high-interest-rates/

"America Is Finally Buying Sedans And Hatchbacks Over Boring SUVs" - https://carbuzz.com/news/america-is-finally-buying-sedans-and-hatchbacks-over-borings-suvs

IMO, You're just not seeing the big picture here with Ford. Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan and others in that segment all continue making small cars cheaper with more profit margin than Ford can- that's the competing part.
All of these brands also compete with Ford in markets outside of the US, and the Focus is still listed as the best selling car in the world. (https://www.autoncell.com/detail/news/ford-focus-best-selling-ford-car-in-world)

If they can compete against each other in every other market except the USA, with nearly the same exact line of vehicles across markets, and still make a profit enough to remain in other markets + outsell the competition, then it doesn't sound like a profit margin issue. It sounds like ford predicted American's didn't want cars and it would be wasteful to fill lots in the USA with them. Which was true in 2018 when they made that decision. But we are 5 years beyond that decision and things seem to be changing direction in this country.

"According to a new industry report from Automotive News, high prices and the desire to be different may have contributed to the sedan's increased popularity among American buyers during the first quarter of 2023, marking the first time in 20 years that SUV popularity didn't grow.

The Automotive News Research & Data Center found that sedan, coupe, convertible, hatchback, sports car, and performance car models represented 21.4% of the 3.6 million new vehicles sold in America during the first quarter of 2023, up from 19.6% in the last quarter of 2022."

You are also reinforcing my earlier point about unforeseen events beyond Ford's control like the catastrophic semi fascist voluntary and unnecessary global economic shutdown for COVID.
Right, we're in complete agreement here. My whole point is that Ford was totally right in 2018 when they predicted American's didn't want small cars, and Ford could not have predicted any of what happened. But had they made that gamble and kept the small cars around, it may have lead to a very lucky payoff as the tides seem to be shifting.

Would ford have gone bankrupt before that? It's possible, although i'm sure our benevolent overlords would have bailed them out with all the other free money printed during the shutdowns. But that's just part of taking a risky gamble.

We're obviously talking past each other on this and we can each have our own opinions on the issue at hand. That's how these boards work and it's all good 🌈🦄🕺
Totally agree and i'm just bored + working from home on a late friday afternoon. We are all well within our rights to disagree and it's your right as an American to be wrong :)

Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
not being able to fill orders is only really relevant to the bronco and the maverick (TBD if we include the ranger here). the other cars that ford sells that aren't hyped up aren't having the same issues and that's obvious because dealer lots are filled to the brim with these models. knowing this, i'm guessing ford could have kept pumping out econoboxes without the same supply & demand constraints.

i'm sure ford could have found a way to make small cars profitable if they kept them around, but people pre-covid weren't interested in small cars because the economy was great. now the economy sucks and people are once again interested in saving money.
It’s still impossible to get an F150 Raptor, a Raptor R, the new Mustang is waiting list only except for the EcoBoost trims, wait times on the Hybrids is long, and it’s taking months for many people to get their Explorers (you can’t hardly find an ST, KR, or Plat on the lot)

If people want econoboxes, they weren’t ever looking at Ford anyway. They were buying Hondas, Toyotas, Kias, and Subarus because Consumer Reports told them too. A car manufacturer doesn’t have to be all things to all people. Since they got rid of Sedans they’ve been able to create the most exciting lineup of models and trims in their history. The stuff they’re doing with the Mustangs and the Raptors and Broncos is absolutely bananas for anyone that has been buying cars since the 90’s. This won’t affect them in the slightest. People still prefer the practicality of crossovers over sedans. If anything, the Maverick and the EcoBoost Mustangs are converting folks that otherwise would have bought sedans and wagons.

Reactions: MJE

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I talk to people in the real world and see their frustrations with the current market. Go out and talk to some people who unexpectedly lost their primary mode of transportation in the last year or two (the type of person driving the same hatchback/sedan over the last 10 years). They don't want a crossover. They don't want a truck. They don't want to spend $30k on whatever sedans are left in the USA. They don't want something premium or luxury that will spike their insurance rates. They want a cheap replacement car that will get them from A to B. This is the exact market that the focus & fiesta shined in. It is the market that American's weren't interested in until fascist COVID policies and their consequences made many americans wake up to their dire financials that were never really sustainable in a pre-covid world, but accelerated in a post-covid world.

Yes we all got our gimmies during the shutdown, and now that the chickens have come to roost we are feeling the negatives of acting like money can endlessly be printed and rent & loan payments can be paused forever. Printing money always leads to inflation and when you print as much money as we did during COVID, well....those of us who listened to Dr. Paul knew exactly what was coming and aren't surprised by this outcome.

Auto loan delinquencies hit an all time high just a few months ago, even higher than 2008. In what world does that indicate that people will continue to buy large vehicles beyond their means? To most of us this is the canary in the coal mine of what is yet to come, and when you see that canary you don't decide to continue spending beyond your means. You budget, reduce waste and downsize where applicable.

"New cars, once part of the American Dream, now out of reach for many" - https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/05/07/new-car-market-high-interest-rates/

"America Is Finally Buying Sedans And Hatchbacks Over Boring SUVs" - https://carbuzz.com/news/america-is-finally-buying-sedans-and-hatchbacks-over-borings-suvs

All of these brands also compete with Ford in markets outside of the US, and the Focus is still listed as the best selling car in the world. (https://www.autoncell.com/detail/news/ford-focus-best-selling-ford-car-in-world)

If they can compete against each other in every other market except the USA, with nearly the same exact line of vehicles across markets, and still make a profit enough to remain in other markets + outsell the competition, then it doesn't sound like a profit margin issue. It sounds like ford predicted American's didn't want cars and it would be wasteful to fill lots in the USA with them. Which was true in 2018 when they made that decision. But we are 5 years beyond that decision and things seem to be changing direction in this country.

"According to a new industry report from Automotive News, high prices and the desire to be different may have contributed to the sedan's increased popularity among American buyers during the first quarter of 2023, marking the first time in 20 years that SUV popularity didn't grow.

The Automotive News Research & Data Center found that sedan, coupe, convertible, hatchback, sports car, and performance car models represented 21.4% of the 3.6 million new vehicles sold in America during the first quarter of 2023, up from 19.6% in the last quarter of 2022."

Right, we're in complete agreement here. My whole point is that Ford was totally right in 2018 when they predicted American's didn't want small cars, and Ford could not have predicted any of what happened. But had they made that gamble and kept the small cars around, it may have lead to a very lucky payoff as the tides seem to be shifting.

Would ford have gone bankrupt before that? It's possible, although i'm sure our benevolent overlords would have bailed them out with all the other free money printed during the shutdowns. But that's just part of taking a risky gamble.

Totally agree and i'm just bored + working from home on a late friday afternoon. We are all well within our rights to disagree and it's your right as an American to be wrong :)
I’ll offer 1 correction in your recollections. Ford did NOT say Americans didn’t want small cars. They said they can’t compete and be profitable selling the traditional sedans and hatchbacks in their lineup. The Focus and Fiesta platforms were at the end of their life cycles and made no sense to update on limited sales records and fierce competition. They can’t compete on low end with Kia Soul or Niro and similar Hyundai or Nissan or Mitsubishi offerings. Again, they DID fill entry level space with well thought out and executed and priced Mavericks including standard hybrid that initially listed just under $20k. Ford publically stated they were going after Corolla and Civic buyers and surveys show the strategy is working.

finally, we just can’t discount how expensive US environmental regulations, energy costs and Unions kill competitiveness vs other global markets. The revamped North American trade agreement makes it smarter to build in Canada and Mexico and manufacturers have taken advantage of that with some success.

Nissan and a couple others also run non-union US factories which gives them a further advantage on cost to build.

BTW, I just read an article where big 3 Union contracts expire September 16th and new Union boss is already taking a hard line before negotiations even start in July. He wants solidarity in an early strike authorization and ability to walkout at deadline.

How many Rangers can Ford build by then even if Job 1 actually starts on August 7? Might be some Really long wait times to receive current orders if a strike happens!

auromed

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX50
You missed one key word there: "When it comes to the best-selling Ford car in the world, the Ford Focus takes the top spot."

The focus is far from the best selling vehicle in the world.

As far as low cost cars, there are still plenty of 25k vehicles available out there, just not in the large SUV or truck categories, but people are still buying more and more expensive vehicles.

https://www.motor1.com/news/669135/tesla-model-y-worlds-best-selling-car-q1-2023/

G L Rockwell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma off road
Occupation
self
In hindsight, it seems ridiculous. Who could have thought a decade of quantitative easing and $7,000,000,000,000 in deficit spending in the previous three years would've caused inflation 🤦
:LOL::LOL::LOL: