• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ordering - What Engine you gonna order? Poll

• Total voters

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, Subaru Crosstrek
Just seeing what engine choice US customers are gonna order for the new Ranger.

I’m on the fence now, 2.3 or 2.7. My Bronco has the 2.7 and it’s a great engine. Never driven the 2.3.
Sponsored

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
I’m on the fence now, 2.3 or 2.7. My Bronco has the 2.7 and it’s a great engine. Never driven the 2.3.

Maybe add "On the Fence" as an option? I'm in the same spot as you. I'll have to see some real world tests between the 2.3 and 2.7...

(I think people already know if they want the 3.0!) 😉

OP
OP

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe add "On the Fence" as an option? I'm in the same spot as you. I'll have to see some real world tests between the 2.3 and 2.7...

Poll updated thanks.

OP
OP

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Just an fyi, my Sasquatch 2 door Bronco which weighs almost 6k pounds gets around 18mpg average. Not great butnot terrible. I’d imagine the new Ranger is around that for 2.7. Maybe 19 max since it has smaller tires.

Sponsored

DirtyRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger
I’m surprised there’s not at least a comparable 2.7 vote to the 2.3. If someone offered me a OBS with a cologne or a lima….

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
As an Aussie, I just want a petrol option in a non-Raptor. VW are giving us the 2.3 in the top spec Amarok, can Ford please follow suit?

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I voted 2.7. Surely that has to match the 2.7 in the GM twins, while the 2.3 should offer better mileage. I did have the 2.3 in an Explorer though & really it was all you’d need.

Ok ultimately I wish I was in for the 3.0, & might be, but between size & cost I could be into an F150 at that point.

jezzza

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor RA
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
As an Aussie, I just want a petrol option in a non-Raptor. VW are giving us the 2.3 in the top spec Amarok, can Ford please follow suit?
Australians typically love diesel powered fourbies though I've never understood why. Perhaps a carryover from when diesel was once cheap?!

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Australians typically love diesel powered fourbies though I've never understood why. Perhaps a carryover from when diesel was once cheap?!
Historically the diesels offered better economy, were more reliable and lasted significantly longer. Now days it's a different story.

Sponsored

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
Just an fyi, my Sasquatch 2 door Bronco which weighs almost 6k pounds gets around 18mpg average. Not great butnot terrible. I’d imagine the new Ranger is around that for 2.7. Maybe 19 max since it has smaller tires.
The 2.7 in the f150 returns 26 mpg highway iirc.
It could end up being comparable or better than the 2.3 since the ranger is slightly lighter than the f150

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
It could end up being comparable or better than the 2.3 since the ranger is slightly lighter than the f150
You did recall correctly. I was shocked when I read 26 for a hwy rating, I didn’t think you could get that out of an F150. That’s all my Bronco Sport is rated at. But sure enough, right there, it’s 26! & same for the Ranger with the 2.3. If I could also get 26 with the 2.7 in the Ranger, that’d just be awesome!

EDIT: ok I figured those had to be 2WD numbers & couldn’t see where it said that, but yes that’s for 2WD. Still if I can get that far above 20 with a nice sized vehicle then that’s great!

Ford Ranger What Engine Are You Ordering? Poll IMG_4908

Ford Ranger What Engine Are You Ordering? Poll IMG_4909

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
My last work truck, a CC 4wd shortbed F150 on 32” tires got around 23 @ 75 and 25 @ 60 steady on the highway. Around the city (stop and go, 35-45mph roads) it got around 19-20. That was driving it casually. I think it had 3.55 gears with a 10 speed. I expect the ranger 2.7 to get at least that given it weighs it less, though it has 3.73 gears, which may help in the city.

I was always surprised because that’s about what my wife’s 2020 NA 3.3l v6 kia sorento awd gets and not much worse than her old 2010 NA 2.4l i4 fwd Pontiac G6.

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
I'm hoping it is the same or higher than the 2.3
I don't have a need or want for 4wd in this truck, but I do have a need for higher gas mileage. That may be the deciding factor between the ranger and the tacoma, depending on the hybrid specs.
I can't stand seeing things like the Tacoma getting tundra gas mileage and being lighter and less powerful. It doesn't make sense to buy a "midsize truck" and get "fullsize truck" gas mileage.

Last edited:
OP
OP

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm hoping it is the same or higher than the 2.3
I don't have a need or want for 4wd in this truck, but I do have a need for higher gas mileage. That may be the deciding factor between the ranger and the tacoma, depending on the hybrid specs.
I can't stand seeing things like the Tacoma getting tundra gas mileage and being lighter and less powerful. It doesn't make sense to buy a "midsize truck" and get "fullsize truck" gas mileage.
Yeah I hear you. I’m waiting on the numbers to come out and the price and build. Depending on what happens might make more sense to get a f150
Sponsored