• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2019 Honda CRV Touring
Occupation
Retired
Same... I'd pretend like I care and that I'll keep my truck for 100k miles, but I probably wont... I'm always changing out my vehicles, its a curse.
You're not alone.
Sponsored

DMK45

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 crew cab
Agreed, posted the video above to show their "general" quality. 3 wrongs don't mean you should be praised for 1 right.
Right on. Some ppl just dont realize theres a big difference out there in filter quality just from a few bucks up/dwn in pricing. Silicone vs rubber for an ADBV. Wire meshing around filter media. Filter media capacities. Ratings. On & on. Motorcraft filter is very, very solid but would never run 1 over 6k mis. Ever. Bosch filtech premium is $7 max an safe for up to 10k mis max ..1 should never go that far in an EcoBoost ..for longevity reasons & abnormal wear prevention! Based on my personal oil analysis from Blackstone labs. Someone could get the Mobil1 filter / Purolator Boss (for example) an change every other OCI if the run 5k mis intervals ..& not deal w/filter in wheel well every time etc. Play it safe & smart. The Ranger's engine is awesome & high tech ..requiring smart basic maintenance. Easy.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab XL - STX - FX4 - Magnetic
Right on. Some ppl just dont realize theres a big difference out there in filter quality just from a few bucks up/dwn in pricing. Silicone vs rubber for an ADBV. Wire meshing around filter media. Filter media capacities. Ratings. On & on. Motorcraft filter is very, very solid but would never run 1 over 6k mis. Ever. Bosch filtech premium is $7 max an safe for up to 10k mis max ..1 should never go that far in an EcoBoost ..for longevity reasons & abnormal wear prevention! Based on my personal oil analysis from Blackstone labs. Someone could get the Mobil1 filter / Purolator Boss (for example) an change every other OCI if the run 5k mis intervals ..& not deal w/filter in wheel well every time etc. Play it safe & smart. The Ranger's engine is awesome & high tech ..requiring smart basic maintenance. Easy.
So your saying Ford's specified Motorcraft filter isn't good for the 10,000 mile change interval that the oil life monitor typically specifies.

Can you scan and post up those personal oil analysis from Blackstone labs that back your statement?

Seems like something Ford would like to see also.

I always use the vehicle manufacturer's specified oil filters while the vehicle is under warranty... but if the data shows a problem I'll gladly switch.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I enjoy the Project Farm videos and saw this video a few weeks back. This last weekend I saw the Shell oil on sale at Walmart for $19/5qt. Got that in the Ranger for this interval.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, 69 Camaro
Occupation
Retired
I enjoy the Project Farm videos and saw this video a few weeks back. This last weekend I saw the Shell oil on sale at Walmart for $19/5qt. Got that in the Ranger for this interval.

Does it meet this spec? WSS-M2C946-B1

Sponsored

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it meet this spec? WSS-M2C946-B1
Yes. Dexos Gen 2 and that spec is on the back label as well.

Watch the video, he sends the two oils to the lab and the differences between the Mobil 1 and Shell were pretty interesting.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB, 69 Camaro
Occupation
Retired
Yes I watched the video. I have to say I’m not a fan of those homemade tests. I think there is a lot more to testing an oil. That said I think they are both quality oils.

Anyway, I’m going to stick with Mobil 1 Annual Protection for now.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I watched the video. I have to say I’m not a fan of those homemade tests. I think there is a lot more to testing an oil. That said I think they are both quality oils.

Anyway, I’m going to stick with Mobil 1 Annual Protection for now.
Party on Wayne

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
MOTORCRAFT SYNTHETIC BLEND!!--Specified in the owners manual

Ford Ranger What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change? DSC03788.JPG

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MOTORCRAFT SYNTHETIC BLEND!!--Specified in the owners manual
Actual the owners manual states that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is recommended... what it specifies is an oil that meets WSS-M2C946-B1. There are a lot of oils that meet that specification.

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend isn't the best choice when looking at a variety of tests.

More here

Last edited:

Sponsored

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Only have 540km on the Ranger. After the break in I will be putting AMSOIL Signature Series and an Amsoil filter.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Amsoil oil and filter.
Only have 540km on the Ranger. After the break in I will be putting AMSOIL Signature Series and an Amsoil filter.
Amsoil has an insane amount of calcium... and that's not a good thing for GDI engines...

Something around 1,000 is good... it has over 3,600 :shock:

Ford Ranger What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change? 2020-03-24 Test Data

Ford Ranger What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change? Sodium and Calcium

Attachments

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
Amsoil has an insane amount of calcium... and that's not a good thing for GDI engines...

Something around 1,000 is good... it has over 3,600 :shock:

2020-03-24 Test Data.jpg

Sodium and Calcium.jpg
Amsoil’s 5W30 Signature Series has 1300 ppm of Calcium and 1000 ppm of Magneseum to meet Fords Specs for the LSPI Motors.. It’s a requirement from Ford in order to be able to recommend an oil to make sure the right protection is there and warranty approved.
J

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Amsoil’s 5W30 Signature Series has 1300 ppm of Calcium and 1000 ppm of Magneseum to meet Fords Specs for the LSPI Motors.. It’s a requirement from Ford in order to be able to recommend an oil to make sure the right protection is there and warranty approved.
J
Any insight appreciated.
Sponsored