• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

What oil will you be running after your 1st oil change?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab XL - STX - FX4 - Magnetic
Only have 540km on the Ranger. After the break in I will be putting AMSOIL Signature Series and an Amsoil filter.
Amsoil’s 5W30 Signature Series has 1300 ppm of Calcium and 1000 ppm of Magneseum to meet Fords Specs for the LSPI Motors.. It’s a requirement from Ford in order to be able to recommend an oil to make sure the right protection is there and warranty approved.
J
Got any independent testing results that back that up?

The PQIA data shows 3,619 ppm Calcium and 19 ppm Magnesium.

lou5560

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
Parts Counterperson
Mobil One Extended Performance along with a Mobil One Oil Filter. I have been using this combination on my previous vehicles for years. Even though its Extended Performance I still change my oil every 5000 miles. There maybe "Better" full synthetic oils out there but I've had pretty good luck with this oil & will continue to use it.

US RangerRaptor

First Name
WilliamL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded Focus RS, '21Ranger Tremor
I don’t want to get into a remarkably long debate but curious what you guys will be running. For the last decade I’ve run a Mobil1 Full Sythetic in my vehicles. At the 6,000mi interval I change the oil, I haven’t found sludge or anything to suggest the oil had broken down enough to harm my engines. I used to run the Motorcraft parasynthetic oil but it required a shorter change interval (I found it to be 4,000mi or less). And with these Ecoboost engines there has been great debate regarding the best oil; regarding fuel blowing past the piston rings into the crankcase, diluting non-synthetic oil, and the fuel/oil/air mix finding its way back up the crankcase breather tube, into the air intake, and baking onto the intake valves closest to where this recycled air enters the air intake.

Eventually there will be many options for air/oil separators (aka “oil catch cans”) for the Ranger, but in the meantime I’d like to run a synthetic that will reduce the deposits being left on my valves.
Personally I change the oil/filter after 500-1000 miles on a new engine to catch any leftover debris. Then use Mobil 1 full synthetic per mfg. weight.

stemplar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E320 CDI
Just food for thought: Have your oil tested. It's a great way to judge how much life is left in the oil.

I figured my 2.7 F-150's suggestion of 10K oil changes was a bit long, so I've been getting the oil tested. Turns out that around 4k - 6k miles, there enough fuel dilution from the direct-inject engine that the oil is not viscous enough to protect the way it should.

I agree - there are lots of great oils, but be careful, that's only part of the equation.

great thread!

(PS Don't trust the onboard life calculator. it has NOTHING to do with sensing/testing your oil. It takes into account how you drive and makes an estimate)
Thank you for saying this! I was wondering how many posts I’d have to read before finding this wisdom. Seriously, testing your drain oil is the ONLY way to tell how your oil of choice is holding up in YOUR engine, under YOUR driving conditions.

And getting an idea of how your oil of choice holds up, or how different brands hold up in your vehicle, really puts into perspective just how many opinions and falsehood there tend to be in oil discussions.

stemplar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes E320 CDI
Oil analysis is a double edge sword. One high reading does not make for a definitive indicator but a progressive trend may be a good indication of an impending bearing failure. I have use Oil analysis for years on aircraft engines but I truly feel that unless you are hard core racing it can be a waste of money for your daily driver and weekend trail hog.
I respectfully disagree that it’s a double edged sword. I do think, though, that if you don’t get the TBN (total base number) with your test then you’re missing a critical point of the test. The tbn will show how the oil is holding up (how much of the additive package is left?), which goes a long way to answering the question about how long to go between changes. Some oil manufacturers publish the tbn values of their oils when new (I know amsoil does this).
Sponsored