• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
In the states there just isn't enough demand for diesels to make it worthwhile for Ford to offer them. Case in point being the 3.0 V6 diesel that was offered in the F-150 but has now been dropped because of poor sales. That engine is now being offered in the 2022 ROTW Ranger. A hybrid pickup (e.g. the Ford F-150 Powerboost) is more attactive as it gets comparable MPG, comparable (or better) torque, gasoline is cheaper than diesel in the states by a significant margin and you don't have to mess with the cost/hassel of DEF. And even better, the Pro Power Onboard generator that you can get with the F-150 Powerboost (and hopefully the PHEV Ranger) is an absolute killer option! I'll be surprised and very disappointed if that fantastic option is not offered on the Ranger PHEV. The Pro Power Onboard generator is the bait that will make me trade for a PHEV Ranger.
Well the only example we had was the baby duramax on the Colorado which has ended production. IMO, the only good Colorado ever made because it also came with the bullet proof GM 6 speed. Its hard to say if it had poor sales because it was always very limited production in the states. When I was looking for one back in 2019 none of my dealers had one and didn't know when and if they would get it. If I had really wanted to get it I would have had to ship it from another state. GM also did a pretty good job on the DEF on it. The HP was a bit low but it had decent torque numbers. Drivers still claim up to 30 mpgs. For the most part, it was a good truck and was the closest thing one could get to a real global product. But GM sales dwindled overseas and they left many markets which was probably a huge reason why they shut the plant in Thailand for the 2.8 duramax. Again, I never saw GM remotely fill the supply chain for the 2.8. They never really sat on the lots indicating low demand because of the rarity. So I'm not sure your argument holds up for low demand. At least for the Colorado.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
I've already decided the 2.3 is a no go for me.
Just curious what your reasons are for eliminating the 2.3? I've found it to be a VERY capable engine, especially coupled with the 10 speed. It continues to amaze me what a small 4 cylinder is capable of.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring

tfcurranjr

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
USAF (Ret)
Well, whenever they get here in NA, and with whatever options/configurations are available, letā€™s hope we donā€™t see this type of dealership B.S.:
Ford Ranger All-New 2023 Ford Ranger (XL, XLS, XLT, Sport, Wildtrak) Global Reveal! 1637953024553

• Sad

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
It is my understanding that both the 2.3 and the 2.7 are available in the Bronco and the Bronco Raptor is going to get a step up such as the 3.0 turbo that is in the Explorer. Since the Ranger is the same platform as the Bronco Iā€™m betting you see the exact same power train options.
I have found Ford Authority to be one of the more accurate automotive press outlets. This article has some information on the Ranger Raptor:

https://fordauthority.com/2021/09/2023-ford-ranger-production-will-begin-in-may-2023-at-map/

Sponsored
OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I just realized that I can't see a physical door handle in the new Ranger's interior. Please tell me it's nothing electronic...
F truck style door release, the handle is in the door pull

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Not interested in the 2.3 because its only DI. The 2.7 has dual injectors. Plus IMO, will have more power/torque and won't have to be in boost near as much. Starting to lean towards the 2.7 F-150 for other reasons as well. But if they the 2.7 into the Ranger it might sweeten the deal. But I think like most mid sizers, will still be too compromised. I'll wait to see what the NA version offers. I'm in no hurry as the market is horrible for buying these things.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Looking at it from a different direction, the points you are making are a strong argument for the PHEV being an ideal combination with the 2.3 turbo. That is, for those short trips where the ICE would not reach full operating temperature you will be driving on 100% EV mode (the ICE will never have to fire up). If you are exceeding the EV range of the Ranger PHEV, then you are probably on a longer highway trip which is the more desirable conditions for the 2.3 turbo to be operating. Seems to me if you think of it this way, the Ranger PHEV will reduce the fuel dilution in the oil caused by short trips (especially with cold temperatures).
Reading a bit more about PHEV's it looks like they are meant for slower speeds on full electric. It sounds like once you get on the Hwy it will run the ICE motor and the electric motor. This is my concern with the turbo motor is that it will not be put through its proper heat cycle over just running an ICE motor. I have to drive on the Hwy for my short commute. I do not fully understand Ford's system so if someone can explain how the system works if I am incorrect.

The 3.3L Hybrid non turbo would make more sense to me out of the Explorer as a Ranger PHEV.

staryoshi

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring
Just looked up the 3.3L hybrid - I didn't know Ford already rigged one up. Specs for the current explorer hybrid below;

3.3L V6 Hybrid engine
318 HP
322 lb-ft Torque

Looks like the hybrid system gets there 3.3 into its max torque way earlier which is cool. (2500 vs 4000 rpm)

Not sure how I feel about the 4wd economy of the system, as it's 23/26 in the explorer hauling over 5000 pounds of car... Wonder how the new ranger would compare on mpg, performance, and weight? It's only available in a $55k trim, btw... Lol

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Reading a bit more about PHEV's it looks like they are meant for slower speeds on full electric. It sounds like once you get on the Hwy it will run the ICE motor and the electric motor. This is my concern with the turbo motor is that it will not be put through its proper heat cycle over just running an ICE motor. I have to drive on the Hwy for my short commute. I do not fully understand Ford's system so if someone can explain how the system works if I am incorrect.

The 3.3L Hybrid non turbo would make more sense to me out of the Explorer as a Ranger PHEV.
Iā€™m with you on thisā€¦. I have even less of a commute with mine only being a 1.5 mile drive. If the short drive wasnā€™t a death trap for bike/ped use, Iā€™d walk or ride my bike. Itā€™s a narrow windy road with blind turns, no sidewalk and bridge across a lake. Not an issues now with my current truck a ā€˜02 F-150 with Triton 5.4 V8.

Because of this issue with carbon build up, I am very hesitant about any turbo. Iā€™m not thrilled about having a plug in hybrid either since my truck will be parked outside. Iā€™m hopeful of a naturally aspirated hybrid that isnā€™t a plug in and the 3.3L V6 would be a great option especially in a hybrid form.

Sponsored

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
We will have to see how the NA Ranger will be configured. It looks like the 6G Ranger will be more spacious in the engine compartment for different power trains. I am curios to see if the Ranger will be split into more categories then just the XL, XLT and Lariat. For me its about price point and options. I would think the PHEV will be put on the higher trim levels. I may just have to go with the 2.3L turbo motor as I think the PHEV will not be offered in the beginning on the Scab XLT. Looking forward to more information released and how the 6G Ranger is improved over the 5G Ranger. Interesting how Ford will be offering ARB mods under warranty.

OP
OP
bill_AUS

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
Interesting how Ford will be offering ARB mods under warranty.
Not to pour too much cold water on things, but the ARB deal is between ARB and Ford Australia.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew, '16 Honda Africa Twin
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Not to pour too much cold water on things, but the ARB deal is between ARB and Ford Australia.
Yeah, the US is going to have to settle on Method Wheels and whatever the Yakima catalog has to offer. Letā€™s hope for more factory backed aftermarket options in the future.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Yes, we will have to see what is offered in NA. I am wondering when they will reveal the suspension specs. At least show some detailed pictures soon of the under carriage.

FijiSun

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Yes, we will have to see what is offered in NA. I am wondering when they will reveal the suspension specs. At least show some detailed pictures soon of the under carriage.
For me, I know what Australia gets will be vastly superior to the NA version. After all, this is their baby. They designed it. We already know they will offer a MT option. 3 diesel options. And most likely a better suspension that does not wobble all over the place. After the disaster of the Bronco Launch and the new direction at Ford I'm beginning to lean back towards Nissan. In short, I don't like the federalized version of this global truck. Not even remotely so. After what they showed us in 2019 I'm not holding my breath anymore.
Sponsored