• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2.3L and 2.7L Engines

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
Need something else to talk about. General Engine Chat.

Has the 2.3L Engine been up graded since the 5G Ranger. Ford 2.3 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, Mustang, Focus RS (motorreviewer.com)

Has the 2.7L Engine been upgrade since 2018. Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, F-150, Bronco (motorreviewer.com)

Most likely both of them the emission systems have been improved.

Has the fuel economy improved.

What do you think about the engine Architecture.

How easy are the engines to service. ie Ranger 2.3L 5G oil filter is recommended to go in through the left fender and remove the mud guard.

2.7L has the Port and direct injection. Less possibility in the long term of having coking problems on the valves

Ford Ranger 2.3L and 2.7L Engines 2.7L Engine Compartment 2021 Ford Bronco 1
Sponsored

Last edited:

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Both engines have been around for some time in other vehicles. The 2.7 had trouble in 2018, but that has been mitigated. I have the 2.7 in my F150 and it's great. As far as oil changes on the 2.3, you pretty much have to go through the fender to get the filter out. There's a little door there. It's a bit of a pain, but not as bad as you would think. When I was going back and forth about getting a Raptor I was not sure if I wanted the 2.7. It's got more torque, but I wasn't sure if the hp was worth the extra money. The 2.3 is quick already. I did end up getting a raptor from local allocation, but if I didn't I'm not sure which way I'd go. Either way, you'll be in good shape.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m just impressed that in this day & age they’re offering 2 choices, excluding RR, one of them still being a 6. Should I decide to go Ranger, the Raptor is a bit extreme for my needs, but the 2.7 to me might be the way to go. Unless it gets dramatically worse economy than the 2.3.

I just looked up the 2.7 in the F150, seems it’s 19/24/21 for 4WD. I can’t see the Ranger beating that by a lot, but even a little would be pretty impressive. Current Ranger it looks like is 20/24/22 with the 2.3. If that’s even improved by a little, there’s no economy advantage to the 2.3. So really the only advantage, at least until real published numbers for 24 are available, the only benefit is initial purchase cost.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
I have a 2019, the 2.3 is great, but I'll go 2.7 funtionally due to the port and direct injection. That's a big winner. Performance and hopefully better sound out of the 2.7 are wants for me.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SCREW STX SE
Occupation
machinist
I’m just impressed that in this day & age they’re offering 2 choices, excluding RR, one of them still being a 6. Should I decide to go Ranger, the Raptor is a bit extreme for my needs, but the 2.7 to me might be the way to go. Unless it gets dramatically worse economy than the 2.3.

I just looked up the 2.7 in the F150, seems it’s 19/24/21 for 4WD. I can’t see the Ranger beating that by a lot, but even a little would be pretty impressive. Current Ranger it looks like is 20/24/22 with the 2.3. If that’s even improved by a little, there’s no economy advantage to the 2.3. So really the only advantage, at least until real published numbers for 24 are available, the only benefit is initial purchase cost.
Why is that? F150 has 6 engine choices. The T6 platform has been proven to accept 2.7 V6 in Broncos.
If Ford really wants to steer people away from Ranger, just do away with US Ranger. If Ranger wasn't available, that wouldn't compel me to buy an F150.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Outputs on the 2.3L

Ford Ranger 2.3L and 2.7L Engines Screenshot 2023-06-09 183311
Ford Ranger 2.3L and 2.7L Engines Screenshot 2023-06-09 183926

Last edited:
Reactions: MJE

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Why is that? F150 has 6 engine choices. The T6 platform has been proven to accept 2.7 V6 in Broncos.
If Ford really wants to steer people away from Ranger, just do away with US Ranger. If Ranger wasn't available, that wouldn't compel me to buy an F150.
Seems in this segment the trend is away from multiple engine choices. The GM entries offer one engine (with 3 states of tune granted, which I’m not sure makes any sense, why not just offer them all up to the max unless you’re trying to pretend you have more options). Honda offers one engine, a 6 though. Toyota now will offer one engine (though you’ll be able to choose hybrid or not). Glad to have more choice rather than less, it does seem they’re serious about the segment then rather than doing away with it.

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I know everyone here is hyped about the 2.7 liter engine and its power, but are there any positive arguments for the 2.3 liter? There are several things I would like to find out and it may come down to what you value most.

1. Gas mileage - I know it's been stated in here that they are almost exactly the same. Maybe wait for the official mpg ratings? Even 1 extra mpg is 'something' when it comes to pick up trucks.
2. Underpowered - will the 2.3 liter be considered underpowered although all current Rangers are using them?

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
The 2.3L is a very proven motor. Goes back to when Ford owned Mazda. The main development was in the 4 Valve per cylinder head. Its said that the motors will last 200 to 250 miles if serviced correctly. The 2.3L in its current state of tune is not stressed as much as the one in the Mustang. Thus longer life. With gas mileage it all depends how you drive them. If you can afford the extra cost for the 2.7L then go for it. The motor will offer more grunt. Most people would be happy with the 2.3L.

Sponsored

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
I know everyone here is hyped about the 2.7 liter engine and its power, but are there any positive arguments for the 2.3 liter? There are several things I would like to find out and it may come down to what you value most.

1. Gas mileage - I know it's been stated in here that they are almost exactly the same. Maybe wait for the official mpg ratings? Even 1 extra mpg is 'something' when it comes to pick up trucks.
2. Underpowered - will the 2.3 liter be considered underpowered although all current Rangers are using them?
less moving parts in a 4 cylinder
less possibility of transmission issues with the 10r60 (the 2.7 is nearing the torque limit of the 10r60 iirc)
known configuration that has been proven
possibility of better gas mileage but unknown

I'd rather go with the 2.7 but those are some positives I can think of

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer

Less chance of a speeding ticket?

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
less moving parts in a 4 cylinder
less possibility of transmission issues with the 10r60 (the 2.7 is nearing the torque limit of the 10r60 iirc)
known configuration that has been proven
possibility of better gas mileage but unknown

I'd rather go with the 2.7 but those are some positives I can think of
10R60 has a max torque spec of 600Nm which is 443 ft/lbs
2.7 has a max output of 415 ft/lbs on premium fuel

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
The 2.3L in the current Ranger is a very good engine with plenty of power for most.