• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Dealer Markup....any Prevention?

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded Focus RS, '21Ranger Tremor
Happens to all the popular models. Any insight on how to work around the greedy unscrupulous dealer markup? Is dealer shopping going to be the only way? Will FoMoCo step in?
Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Happens to all the popular models. Any insight on how to work around the greedy unscrupulous dealer markup? Is dealer shopping going to be the only way? Will FoMoCo step in?
what vehicle are you talking about specifically? If it's something really popular and scarce like a Raptor you can expect to pay over MSRP in this market. If it's a 2022/23 regular Ranger I would expect them to be sold around MSRP as it's an outgoing model on 10 years old platform not in high demand. No, there's nothing you can do to "prevent" a dealer from adding $ based on market demand, and no, FoMoCo won't/can't "step in" as they are not selling you the vehicle directly- the dealership is. Dealerships are independent franchises and MSRP is only a Suggested starting point baseline for negotiating a final purchase price. Dealers are not supposed to add markup on customer retail orders but can do whatever they want with Stock orders they got for their lot or a refused customer order. I am currently waiting for my special ordered 2022 Maverick to be built and my local dealer has been trustworty on past purchases and promises this one at MSRP + flat fee doc/PDI only charges added. That seems to be the best you can hope for if you have a relationship with a dealer you trust based on past experiences. YMMV...

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
From what I have read about ordering a vehicle is you want to get a car purchase agreement contract. This is suppose to lock in the agreeded upon purchase price. Read the fine print. Gives you more power if the Dealer try's to make changes when the vehicle arrives. Don't just put a deposit down.

Ford and Chevy are clamping down on the shady dealings. If its the lot's vehicle they can do what they want. If you ordered it you have more control.

LuckyMonkey7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Lightning
If you see a markup, walk away, report them to Ford corporate and it will affect their allocations later on.
Dealers want to make money, find one that actually wants your business.
There is a dealership that advertises on here to order vehicles for 3% under msrp iirc. Youll just have to travel to them potentially or have it shipped to you.

Sponsored
OP
OP

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you see a markup, walk away, report them to Ford corporate and it will affect their allocations later on.
Dealers want to make money, find one that actually wants your business.
There is a dealership that advertises on here to order vehicles for 3% under msrp iirc. Youll just have to travel to them potentially or have it shipped to you.
Hmmmm... Where and how might I be able to find this said dealer on this forum?

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
The only way to prevent markups is to not pay it. Unfortunately, people like to make bad financial decisions every day.

OP
OP

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then it would seem like you just order what you want. Do you know of buyers with A-Plan actually paying markups on orders?
Dear Mr. knowitall... Do you really think the Raptor models will be included in the A plan? I think not. At one point I thought a policy was implemented to restrict future dealer ordering if they participated in these "extra" add on charges, but not entirely sure.

Sponsored

MrKnowitall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR
Dear Mr. knowitall... Do you really think the Raptor models will be included in the A plan? I think not. At one point I thought a policy was implemented to restrict future dealer ordering if they participated in these "extra" add on charges, but not entirely sure.
While I wouldn’t expect any real discounts on that particular model, a-plan should still cover you against mark-ups.

OP
OP

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I wouldn’t expect any real discounts on that particular model, a-plan should still cover you against mark-ups.
How so, what is your rationale and criteria for statement? Why would a dealer take my sale over some one who will to pay extra? Are you saying FoMoCo will intervene to prevent such a maneuver?

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
How so, what is your rationale and criteria for statement? Why would a dealer take my sale over some one who will to pay extra? Are you saying FoMoCo will intervene to prevent such a maneuver?
While dealers are not required to take A/Z plan pricing, they usually do. A someone who has access to Z-plan (which is essentially equivalent to A-plan; one is for current employees and families, the other is for former employees and families), I have run into a couple dealers who wouldn't accept it. But usually because I was out of town and not going to be using them as my "hometown" dealer for repairs and maintenance work, so they wouldn't be getting that money from me in the future. Either way, I'm sure you can find a dealer that accepts it, as most do. I always have been able to.

Ford Ranger Dealer Markup....any Prevention? 1661541200474

That said, I would expect the Ranger Raptor, as a model, to be exempt from all discount plan options. Same as most high performance and commercial vehicles are currently (see figure below for most current products). And that is set from Ford on high, not at the dealer level.

Ford Ranger Dealer Markup....any Prevention? 1661541216698

*as of Feb 16 2022

Another thing I often do is not mention I'll be using Z-plan until it's almost time to pay and they've already added on all the other discounts available. It also keeps them from pushing you away early, since by then you're all in pretty deep to back out now, or trying to add on other options and accessories to try and make up for the price reduction.

Last edited:
OP
OP

US RangerRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While dealers are not required to take A/Z plan pricing, they usually do. A someone who has access to Z-plan (which is essentially equivalent to A-plan; one is for current employees and families, the other is for former employees and families), I have run into a couple dealers who wouldn't accept it. But usually because I was out of town and not going to be using them as my "hometown" dealer for repairs and maintenance work, so they wouldn't be getting that money from me in the future. Either way, I'm sure you can find a dealer that accepts it, as most do. I always have been able to.

1661541200474.png

That said, I would expect the Ranger Raptor, as a model, to be exempt from all discount plan options. Same as most high performance and commercial vehicles are currently (see figure below for most current products). And that is set from Ford on high, not at the dealer level.

1661541216698.png

*as of Feb 16 2022

Another thing I often do is not mention I'll be using Z-plan until it's almost time to pay and they've already added on all the other discounts available. It also keeps them from pushing you away early, since by then you're all in pretty deep to back out now, or trying to add on other options and accessories to try and make up for the price reduction.
I appreciate your input, knowledge, and accuracy. Having said that, what keeps being overlooked is the Raptor series is ineligible. While presently not on the list, I don't expect the Ranger to be an exception, which, then puts us right back to the John Q. Public status of being subject to the dealer markup...as I see it, and how to stop "what the market will bear" philosophy of the dealer markup.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
Just a thought but, If paying dealer markups is make or break for you- you probably shouldn't be considering limited edition specialty vehicles in the 1st place. We all have principals we try to adhere to, but sometimes they need to be overlooked to get what you want. 1 trick I use is set a budget I won't pay beyond and overestimate likely true cost- then consider it a "win" if I actually get it at or below my budget.
Sponsored