• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Does the order bank open on launch? confused

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
What I would love Ford to do, and I think it maybe possible, is release the 3.0l diesel here in the US. The engine has already passed EPA compliance, it is used all over of the rest of the world, the MPG numbers are excellent for CAFE standards, it was pulled from the F150 last year maybe so it can go into the new Ranger...

I can only hope and dream right now, and that dream is a diesel tremor in green.

Micky

Edit - me no type well
I think the fact it was pulled from the f150 is the exact reason it WON'T go in the Ranger. There just isn't the demand for it here.
Sponsored

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, XLT FX4
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
What I would love Ford to do, and I think it maybe possible, is release the 3.0l diesel here in the US. The engine has already passed EPA compliance, it is used all over of the rest of the world, the MPG numbers are excellent for CAFE standards, it was pulled from the F150 last year maybe so it can go into the new Ranger...

I can only hope and dream right now, and that dream is a diesel tremor in green.

Micky

Edit - me no type well
I think the fact it was pulled from the f150 is the exact reason it WON'T go in the Ranger. There just isn't the demand for it here.
Yeah, the final straw for it in the F-150 is because of the hybrid. The hybrid F-150 had comparable efficiency and more power and torque, essentially making the diesel irrelevant. That, combined with low demand to begin with, made it not worth keeping as an option.
I'd imagine the same will be true for the Ranger. Once they put out a hybrid version, whether it's a standard hybrid or PHEV, it'll be more powerful and more efficient than any comparable diesel they could use.

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Fixer
I get the hybrid idea, but the ranger is a smaller vehicle. I don’t know if there will be room for a battery large enough to do what would be required. The diesel has been proven overseas. At least that’s my hope.

Reactions: Doc

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
I get the hybrid idea, but the ranger is a smaller vehicle. I don’t know if there will be room for a battery large enough to do what would be required. The diesel has been proven overseas. At least that’s my hope.
It doesn't need to be that large of a battery to help out quite a bit. Also, sure it's a smaller vehicle so it'll have a smaller battery, but at the same token it's a smaller vehicle so it won't need as big of a battery. It's all proportional. And I would almost figure that it's a non-linear relationship, favoring the smaller end (i.e. more efficient for the same size ratio the smaller you get).
If we want to use the Jeep products as a baseline. And probably a pretty conservative baseline given how not aerodynamic Jeeps are. We see that the diesel gets 22/29mpg, and the PHEV gets 49mpge. So like I said, it doesn't take much battery to greatly increase the efficiency of a hybrid vehicle. EVs are a different story because they start to run into the added weight vs range gain issue. But a hybrid can be very efficient.

Ford Ranger Does the order bank open on launch? confused 1674580134338

Ref: Comparing the Jeep Wrangler vs the Jeep Wrangler 4xe (autoinfluence.com)

And the power/torque would definitely be there putting the diesel to shame, since current assumptions are that they'll just add an electric assist to the current 4cyl EcoBoost motor.
Ford Ranger Does the order bank open on launch? confused 1674580335089

Ref: Plug-In Ford Ranger Confirmed By Ford To Enter Production Before 2025 (fordauthority.com)

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
OK, if 5/26 order banks open when will the vehicle be announced? It's already running around in ROW and in Dearborn pre launch models in a variety of shapes and colors are on the street. Give me an order guide so i can truly understand options/colors etc. I know it'll be a wait but come on Ford!

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
OK, if 5/26 order banks open when will the vehicle be announced? It's already running around in ROW and in Dearborn pre launch models in a variety of shapes and colors are on the street. Give me an order guide so i can truly understand options/colors etc. I know it'll be a wait but come on Ford!
Amen to that! My dealer doesn't know squat either lol. My gut instinct says it will be approximately 4 weeks ahead of scheduled production start. I experienced the Maverick process, and it was always rushed and lacking details and timelines- they even had a "reservation" period at the reveal but still was a couple weeks after that before you could actually use B&P tool on-line and enter a real order into system at your dealer. Hope it's more sorted on Ranger

OH3Cobra

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby, 2003 Cobra, 2002 Miata, 2013 SRT8 300
Occupation
Sales
Ranger#5, fully agree with you. I have lived through the GT500 wait - 16 months and now experiencing the Maverick wait as well (arrives by end of month). I was hoping the Ranger launch would be better - it still maybe. Time will tell. Just give me something positive to read!

JCSIX13

First Name
JACK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Elevator mechanic
I ordered a Ford transit van on 9/07/2022. I just got a build date two weeks ago for the week of 4/29.
this is just a work van nothing special and 7 months to be built!
I think my ranger raptor will be much longer.

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aerostructures Engineer
I ordered a Ford transit van on 9/07/2022. I just got a build date two weeks ago for the week of 4/29.
this is just a work van nothing special and 7 months to be built!
I think my ranger raptor will be much longer.
You got lucky with that Transit order. We ordered ours on 6/08/22, the day after the order banks opened, and we just finally got the email saying it was scheduled for the week of 5/29. Also just a cargo van. Luckily we found almost the exact same thing sitting on a lot in Seattle a few weeks ago and jumped on it. But if we hadn't, it would've been over a year between order and delivery. Not sure why getting in right at the beginning of the orders means we got jumped by so many others. Annoying for sure.

That said, I'm not sure Transits are necessarily a good indicator of what Ranger Raptor orders will be like though. There are certainly Ford vehicles which you don't have to wait a year to receive after ordering. A better indicator would probably be somewhere between F-150 Raptors and Bronco Raptors, since those are similarly categorized niche vehicles. Bronco's in general are in their own category ordering wise because of the stupid reservation thing, and Bronco Raptors even more so. But F-150's are a staple and are prioritized to be pounded out in a timely manner. I'd imagine the Ranger Raptor will not be as popular as the Bronco Raptor, and also not as highly prioritized as the F-150.

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist
You got lucky with that Transit order. We ordered ours on 6/08/22, the day after the order banks opened, and we just finally got the email saying it was scheduled for the week of 5/29. Also just a cargo van. Luckily we found almost the exact same thing sitting on a lot in Seattle a few weeks ago and jumped on it. But if we hadn't, it would've been over a year between order and delivery. Not sure why getting in right at the beginning of the orders means we got jumped by so many others. Annoying for sure.

That said, I'm not sure Transits are necessarily a good indicator of what Ranger Raptor orders will be like though. There are certainly Ford vehicles which you don't have to wait a year to receive after ordering. A better indicator would probably be somewhere between F-150 Raptors and Bronco Raptors, since those are similarly categorized niche vehicles. Bronco's in general are in their own category ordering wise because of the stupid reservation thing, and Bronco Raptors even more so. But F-150's are a staple and are prioritized to be pounded out in a timely manner. I'd imagine the Ranger Raptor will not be as popular as the Bronco Raptor, and also not as highly prioritized as the F-150.
I tend to agree with your last paragraph. I think there will be hype for sure when the announcement is made through the first year, but after all the enthusiast wade through the initial bottle neck. I feel like they will be available (with some leg-work). I just don't see a lot of people in the market for a 60K-70K midsize truck at the end of the day. Full-size trucks are vastly more popular here in the states, so that already eliminates a lot of people from the market.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
the rest of the world is in love with Diesels- it would be a huge fail here. Ford is still bleeding $ from all the recalls and warranty issues, I see them only offering the base 2.3 for simplicity's sake and economies of scale lower cost + larger ICE motor in Raptor (maybe even in that "Platinum" trim too if it comes to USA)
Diesel is standard engine on 2024 GMC Sierra AT4X. Silverado/Sierra have done well with 3L diesel. 2.8L diesel on midsize GM was mediocre. Decent reliability, fuel economy no so great.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Diesel is standard engine on 2024 GMC Sierra AT4X. Silverado/Sierra have done well with 3L diesel. 2.8L diesel on midsize GM was mediocre. Decent reliability, fuel economy no so great.
Agreed. So what conclusion do you draw from that- and extrapolated to % of expected 2024 Ranger sales? IIRC, USA Ranger sales from 2019-2022 were roughly 100k annual? None were diesel powered. Suppose the same 2 turbo diesel engine offered in ROW were options in USA for 6G. My un-educated SWAG of what Ford hopes for Ranger 6G sales is again, the ~100k range. Guess at a % Americans would buy for diesel versions within that 100k?

Micky

First Name
Micky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Fixer
Alright, I’ve got my stick out and I’m beating dead horses…

What if Ford uses a diesel for CAFE standards? A ranger with a little diesel would be a truck that gets near or over 30mpg. That would be an impressive number and couldn’t hurt their truck division.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
so no guess on what % of American buyers would want diesel engines in a Ranger? I just don't see any advantage to it myself and would never buy a diesel-powered vehicle- other than a tractor. lol

RE: CAFE standards, people bring this up from time to time, but I don't see any need to get a boost from Ranger sales to make targets. Ford managed somehow when there were no US Ranger sales from MY2012-2018 before Ranger returned didn't they? I'm on a Maverick forum too and there's a couple people that are convinced Maverick was ONLY introduced to make CAFE numbers- but my same rebuttal holds- how did Ford do it BEFORE there ever was a Maverick then? IMO it's a non-factor in both Ranger and Maverick production and sales...

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Agreed. So what conclusion do you draw from that- and extrapolated to % of expected 2024 Ranger sales? IIRC, USA Ranger sales from 2019-2022 were roughly 100k annual? None were diesel powered. Suppose the same 2 turbo diesel engine offered in ROW were options in USA for 6G. My un-educated SWAG of what Ford hopes for Ranger 6G sales is again, the ~100k range. Guess at a % Americans would buy for diesel versions within that 100k?
I'd estimate 7% take rate on diesel if Ranger offered this powertrain in North America. There is no reason to offer diesel considering quality of fuel, emissions regulations, cost and complexity of compliance. A hybrid ranger would have an audience with an appetite

I'm just waiting to place my Raptor order.
Sponsored