• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ford Missed The Boat

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / 2020 XTL FX4 / 2007 escape / motos
I am not a Toyota hater, and I owned a pre-taco 1993 extended cab when it was just called 'pick up'. It was a great truck and I kept it as my 2nd car for 20+ years and sold it when it started to show a bit of rust and I thought I should cut my loses. I bought it used for 13K and sold it for 8k, 20 years later.

When I decided I wanted to get back into a truck for 'reasons' I researched and never looked at anything beside the Ranger. I bought a 2020 5G lariat SCAB and I'm very pleased, but if they come out with a 6G PHEV, then I will take a look.
PHEV, the only reason I would look at a 6G & trade.
Sponsored

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
You absolutely could be right... But MAP was punching out 100k 5G Rangers before Bronco even showed up there. Probably comes down to parts availability, since Ranger and Bronco share so many parts?

Food for thought, Maverick shares a single line with Bronco Sport and exceeded 100k in 1st year. It could happen.
It could but the Maverick has what appears to be less technology…less chips. My XLT with lux package, FX4, towing uses a key, has a small screen, the infotainment is a stripped down Sync 3, manual rear slider. Don’t get me wrong it’s a great little truck but it was made on a budget for sure. I am not complaining I got a good deal for what I paid and what I have but it’s not nearly as cushy as the Ranger and there seems to be a shortage of parts for the cushy stuff, lol. Time will tell and I hope this roll out goes great especially when they start adding packages and upgrades and they will. My fear is that certain trims and packages will lack the necessary parts to get trucks made and delivered in a timely manner. I was lucky, ordered my Maverick in early August and it was in my driveway right before Thanksgiving. By today’s standards that’s pretty good.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I think I'll keep what I have and hope a Tremor announcement is soon to follow.

A Raptor just doesn't do what I want it to do and I prefer my 2019 over the new unveiling.

When Ford offers me a Lariat Tremor, I'll order a new truck... if it has a 6' bed option I'll jump for joy 🎉

Last edited:

MikeyDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500 F150
I think in the current environment with parts supply constraints, Ford has wisely chosen not to repeat the Bronco debacle which saw them trying to do too much at launch resulting in excruciating wait times and options sacrifices. I'm sure there will be much more offerings in the coming years. I for one would like to see a supercab with a longer bed. The regular Ranger grill could have been much better. Even the Maverick grill seems a bit underwhelming. Ford needs to get with their design teams and put much much more emphasis on grill design throughout the entire lineup. While I get Ford is really focused on Fleet and businesses that and less concerned about grill design, they need to improve here for sure. Farley, are you listening?

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I think in the current environment with parts supply constraints, Ford has wisely chosen not to repeat the Bronco debacle which saw them trying to do too much at launch resulting in excruciating wait times and options sacrifices. I'm sure there will be much more offerings in the coming years. I for one would like to see a supercab with a longer bed. The regular Ranger grill could have been much better. Even the Maverick grill seems a bit underwhelming. Ford needs to get with their design teams and put much much more emphasis on grill design throughout the entire lineup. While I get Ford is really focused on Fleet and businesses that and less concerned about grill design, they need to improve here for sure. Farley, are you listening?
I like the grill design. If anything, it makes the Ford front end uniquely different than all other brands. Do all pickup trucks need to look like a Transformer or a Baja buggy?

It also makes sense, as the Ranger is a mix of F150 and Maverick. The Ranger was meant to 'complete' the lineup.

There are several things I really like about the new Ranger.
  • Engine options (a proven and trusted 4cyl and a 6 cylinder powerhouse)
  • New Technology (there is practically a tablet computer in this thing)
  • Interior Design (its definitely aesthetically a step up, no piano black, the extra dash storage is intriguing, great comfy seats)
  • A Side Step (short people rejoice!)
  • A Raptor (An enthusiasts wet dream)

Last edited:

Sponsored

BonzerEndymion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I’m not a huge fan of the front end design. I think something more similar to the 5g would look much better. I’m sure it’ll grow on me though.

Ford Ranger Ford Missed The Boat IMG_8836

A Powerboost option would have been great as well.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350 and 2022 Ford Escape
I'm excited about the Ranger and still plan to purchase one--pending price. And no, I have zero desire for the Raptor.

The reveal was overall a let down as far as I think Ford left a lot on the table. My past Ford experience is with the F150, and I personally can't recall them releasing a brand new F150 missing many options you would expect to see in a vehicle lineup. So while yes, I expect Ford to incrementally roll out additional features and options, that doesn't help the person looking to buy now. To agree with points others have made, I think this was done intentionally since the Ranger shares the same plant as the Bronco, and they can't make those fast enough for the demand. Thus, Ford has no real incentive to come guns-a-blazing and generating a lot of Ranger demand that would pressure the plant further. It's a win to them to roll it out incrementally, incentivize perhaps people buying now and then trading in their truck on another new one in a couple years with the features they wanted in the first place. I keep vehicles for awhile, so that's not an advantageous strategy for me but it might be for Ford in this instance.

Pros from the Reveal:
  • Fold flat rear seats--I am a huge fan and advocate for a fully flat floor, but I knew based on the ROW Ranger that that wasn't happening. The fold flat rear seats are the second best thing, and it was a happy surprise to me.
  • Standard grill--The grill I prefer is standard on both the XLT and the Lariat. That gives me an options as I'm not forced into one or the other based on grill choice.
  • 2.7 engine--This was the engine I was hoping for. Little sad it's late availability but hey it's there as an option so I'm stoked.
  • 360 degree cameras--Helpful feature when offroading
  • 360 outside lighting--This is going to be great
  • Power in the bed--Pretty cool, even though honestly I probably won't use it much.

Cons from the Reveal:
  • 18 gallon tank--That is one of my absolute biggest gripes about my Wrangler having that size tank, and something I absolutely loved in my F150 was its 36 gallon tank. It makes road trips so much better, and it is a godsend when hurricanes hit as well.
  • No rear air--I live in Florida. AC is very important for everyone's comfort from passengers to my dog.
  • No AC seats--Again, live in Florida here. This is going to make me think long and hard about going for black leather seats or black cloth seats which ultimately hamstrings me to either the XLT or Lariat. I had AC seats in my F150 and it was awesome.
  • No grab handles for back passengers--I'm used to jumping in trucks/Wranglers, but not all my passengers are and a grab handle would help them a lot.
  • 4A--Not something I have to have, but when I roadtrip up north into the land of snow/ice, I'd appreciate it.
  • No pricing yet--I realize this is coming, but it was very deflating that pricing was not released with the reveal except for very base model and the Raptor.
In the end, none of the cons will keep me from ultimately buying a Ranger as long as pricing is in line with my expectations. It's just disappointing that I can't even have these as options. Ford offering them a year or two or three down the line doesn't help me because I keep my vehicles for awhile. Overall I'm still excited about the truck and eagerly awaiting the build and price tool being up.
Ford hasn't had real air conditioned seats for years. My '17 F150 actually gets cold. The 2020 SD just blows cab air up your butt- a big disappointment.
I don't understand the no rear vents either. Bronco doesn't have them either and Ford's response was their are vents under the seat. Big deal!! When traveling we usually have stuff on the floor board so no air can get out.
I had a Bronco order which Ford cancelled a few months ago so that's out. Also wanted a Ranger but that's out too...

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
I think I'll keep what I have and hope a Tremor announcement is soon to follow.

A Raptor just doesn't do what I want it to do and I prefer my 2019 over the new unveiling.

When Ford offers me a Lariat Tremor, I'll order a new truck... if it has a 6' bed option I'll jump for joy 🎉
What would you need to do with a Tremor that a Raptor can't do? Are you wanting more towing and payload?

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
I’m not a huge fan of the front end design. I think something more similar to the 5g would look much better. I’m sure it’ll grow on me though.

IMG_8836.jpeg

A Powerboost option would have been great as well.
100% this. That’s exactly what the China Wildtrak X looked like that was shown and looks so much better to me. It’s possible that’s how the Tremor may look (though I’m skeptical at this point) whenever they get around to making them. If not, and I get a Ranger (only getting one if they offer 4A with the 2.7), I’ll be trying to import the Chinese front end parts or wrapping/painting it to get as close to that look as possible.

I could live with the current front end but vehicles are like big toys for me and I like tweaking things on them. :LOL:

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
What would you need to do with a Tremor that a Raptor can't do? Are you wanting more towing and payload?
Exactly. I want to be able to put a shell on it like my current truck and tow a trailer around the West to hunt and camp and not have my headlights point to the sky while getting 7 mpg.

I also don't want the extra width which leads to scratched paint while going down mountain trails.

I have never, and will never, take my truck to Baja or dunes and rally it around like in the commercials.

Spending $15k for those negatives and the only positive for me being the "cool" factor makes no sense for how I use my truck.

Sponsored

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
Okay, I easily searched and found this. Keep in mind, everyone knew Tacoma and the GM trucks were being replaced, too…

IMG_0764.jpeg
The Maverick took a lot of sales from the Ranger. I expect to see similar drops for the Tacoma and Colorado / Canyon when Toyota and GM release their compacts.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Exactly. I want to be able to put a shell on it like my current truck and tow a trailer around the West to hunt and camp and not have my headlights point to the sky while getting 7 mpg.

I also don't want the extra width which leads to scratched paint while going down mountain trails.

I have never, and will never, take my truck to Baja or dunes and rally it around like in the commercials.

Spending $15k for those negatives and the only positive for me being the "cool" factor makes no sense for how I use my truck.
I really want a RRaptor myself but I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about the width. I love mid sizes because you get the convenience of a truck but it also parks like a car. It's really easy to get around town in. I HATE driving full sizes because it's like driving a yacht everywhere you go. I really hope the extra width doesn't take that mid size feeling away.

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
I really want a RRaptor myself but I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about the width. I love mid sizes because you get the convenience of a truck but it also parks like a car. It's really easy to get around town in. I HATE driving full sizes because it's like driving a yacht everywhere you go. I really hope the extra width doesn't take that mid size feeling away.
It’s definitely going feel a bit bigger considering the new RR and the standard F150 are the same width without mirrors according to the spec sheets. The height is within a couple to a few inches too. Heck the weights aren’t even that far apart. So, I imagine it’ll be a lot like driving a basic F150 with 20” chopped off the length. The 13” shorter wheelbase on the RR will help with maneuverability but that too will be compromised over the regular Ranger due to the increased track width.

But that’s just me guessing based off the numbers. 🤷‍♂️

JKinPA

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Occupation
Supply Chain
For me it’s the cost, however if the cost differences are minimal I will either bump up or bump down to an FX4
The extra capabilities are more a want than a need, nice to have just in case but the cost has to make sense for a want in my mind.

OP
OP
uthunter

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s definitely going feel a bit bigger considering the new RR and the standard F150 are the same width without mirrors according to the spec sheets. The height is within a couple to a few inches too.
No need to stop at an F-150. It's less than a quarter inch narrower than a 2022 F-350 SRW 4x4 and only 5.5" lower.

It might fit in a few more parking garages than my Super Duty, but it's effectively the same size moving down a trail because height is almost never the deciding factor as to whether I can fit or not.

Those dimensions are not good for what many of us use our trucks for. I have no desire to drive something that big down a narrow brushy road.

My main question is whether to buy a 2023 Tremor or wait for a 202(?) 🤷

The good news for everybody that is ordering a Raptor... I'm one less guy competing with you đź‘Ť
Sponsored

Last edited: