Sponsored

Installing an OEM wireless phone charger

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
134
Reaction score
208
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have a 25 Lariat (2.3) and I was considering installing an OEM wireless phone charger. The part itself is only $83. My concern is the installation. It looks like you only have to pry off a plastic cover in the console area and put the charger in its place. Does anyone know if this is just plug and play or does installation require additional wiring? A link to the part is below.

https://www.fordoempartsoutlet.com/...A83f-kHytYWhD7DVIqd92k7X8_Sc2NGUaAq9EEALw_wcB
Sponsored

 

Intercontinental_Ranger

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
186
Reaction score
409
Location
Cambridge
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Crisis Cowboy
The wireless charger is more of a phone warmer in my vehicle - I don’t use it unless I’m desperate.

I have an otter box case on my phone and I think it makes it too far away from the wireless charging antenna, hence the heating.

Other people have had similar experiences, just wanted to make sure you knew that might be an issue.
 
OP
OP
Geo8866

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
134
Reaction score
208
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
The wireless charger is more of a phone warmer in my vehicle - I don’t use it unless I’m desperate.

I have an otter box case on my phone and I think it makes it too far away from the wireless charging antenna, hence the heating.

Other people have had similar experiences, just wanted to make sure you knew that might be an issue.
Thanks for the info. I also have an otter box. I had a wireless charger in my last two vehicles. One worked great and one did exactly as you described. I guess I will stick with plug in.
 

mp51998

Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
May 17, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
7
Reaction score
13
Location
Thailand
Vehicle(s)
2025 Raptor Ranger
The wireless charger is more of a phone warmer in my vehicle - I don’t use it unless I’m desperate.

I have an otter box case on my phone and I think it makes it too far away from the wireless charging antenna, hence the heating.

Other people have had similar experiences, just wanted to make sure you knew that might be an issue.
Even with my phone bare it still gets hot.
 

CaptAngry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2022
Threads
13
Messages
438
Reaction score
711
Location
Denver, CO
Vehicle(s)
2026 RRaptor
Occupation
Space Engineer
Yup… OE charger is a phone cooker

I needed something so I ended up putting in a chilled MagSafe charger
Ford Ranger Installing an OEM wireless phone charger rraptor_console_wire_routing_4


It uses a fan and Peltier element (thermoelectric cooler) to actively cool the back of the phone while it is charging. Keeps the temps down significantly, but the phone still gets warm except right where the charger touches. Then it is cold to the touch
 

Sponsored

bigb

Well-Known Member
First Name
Brian
Joined
Aug 6, 2025
Threads
62
Messages
816
Reaction score
999
Location
Tucson
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger 2.7
Magsafe copy here, with my Android phone and Magsafe copy case the charge level is just right and I don't get a lot of heat. More of a maintaining charge than a recharge.

(I used a side mount console insert from Digital Twin)

Ford Ranger Installing an OEM wireless phone charger 20260213_160413
Ford Ranger Installing an OEM wireless phone charger 20260213_160333
 

AugPal

Well-Known Member
First Name
Augie
Joined
Nov 8, 2024
Threads
27
Messages
396
Reaction score
334
Location
Chicago
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger XLT 2018 Ford Fiesta 2026 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired IBEW
My Ranger came with the OEM Wireless phone charger. At first the phone would get too hot so I wouldn't use it. After a couple of software updates it seems to be fine now and I use it on trips.
 

Satex

Well-Known Member
First Name
Blake
Joined
Dec 29, 2024
Threads
2
Messages
314
Reaction score
303
Location
San Antonio
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger 2.7 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the info. I also have an otter box. I had a wireless charger in my last two vehicles. One worked great and one did exactly as you described. I guess I will stick with plug in.
I have a Samsung in an Otterbox. The wireless charger works perfectly for me. It charges well and the phone doesn't get even warm.

Do what you think, but that's my experience.
 

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
810
Reaction score
1,173
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
I can't say whether software updates have fixed old problems or not, but my wireless charger works fine, as do the wireless chargers of other Ford owners I interact with daily. My family has a mix of iphone models that all work fine; coworkers and friends are a mix of iphone and android users. The only "complaint" I hear is that it charges slowly, which I agree with, but at least when I use a navigation app through my phone for an hours-long trip my phone is more charged at the end than the start.
 
OP
OP
Geo8866

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
134
Reaction score
208
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
I have a Samsung in an Otterbox. The wireless charger works perfectly for me. It charges well and the phone doesn't get even warm.

Do what you think, but that's my experience.
Then back to my original question: Is the charger plug-and-play or does it require wiring?
 

Sponsored

Reddog99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2024
Threads
0
Messages
71
Reaction score
81
Location
So. Cal.
Vehicle(s)
2024 XLT Ranger FX4 2.7
You have a Lariat and it didn't, come with the wireless charger??? I have an XLT with it...

But if you don't already have one, I would recommend something OTHER than the Ford charger. It's VERY picky about phone placement. If the phone isn't in just the right place, it won't charge and it's hard to tell when it's actually working.

And if you're using something like a map app, then the charging rate can barely keep up with the discharge rate. I ended up just using a USB-C cable. It's foolproof.
 

tamitchener

Member
First Name
Tim
Joined
Jan 5, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
24
Reaction score
17
Location
upland IN
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
don't waste your time, everytime it moves on the charger it kicks the screen on ,on mine
 
OP
OP
Geo8866

Geo8866

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
134
Reaction score
208
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat FX4
You have a Lariat and it didn't, come with the wireless charger??? I have an XLT with it...

But if you don't already have one, I would recommend something OTHER than the Ford charger. It's VERY picky about phone placement. If the phone isn't in just the right place, it won't charge and it's hard to tell when it's actually working.

And if you're using something like a map app, then the charging rate can barely keep up with the discharge rate. I ended up just using a USB-C cable. It's foolproof.
Nope, mine did not come with the convenience package. I plug in and it charges just fine. I just got used to dropping my phone without plugging in with my last car. If it were a plug and play feature, for $83, I would get it and take it out if it didn't work well
 

emjay24l

Active Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
35
Reaction score
61
Location
SW-VA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX-4

DEADDACK_33

Member
Joined
May 3, 2026
Threads
1
Messages
20
Reaction score
19
Location
Canada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger XLT
I can't help you with whether or not the OEM wireless charger is a plug & play install or not. I just thought I'd chime in with my .02 cents regarding its charging capabilities.

Straightaway, it's not bad. It gets the job done. It's definitely flawed though. Your phone can get quite hot. Too hot IMO. Your phone needs to be placed perfectly for the charging to work, and it moves even just a tiny bit, it'll stop charging. Lastly, I find it to be in an awkward location, especially when the shifter is in Park. I'd prefer if it had a horizontal orientation instead of a vertical location.

My Ranger came equipped with the wireless charger, and to keep my phone (S24 Ultra) from getting too hot, I turned off fast wireless charging. The downside is obviously it's a trickle charge, but at least it keeps the temperature within an acceptable range. I recently got a new case (Otterbox Defender Pro) and its bulkiness is actually beneficial because now, my phone fits tightly onto the wireless charger. That keeps it from sliding off the sweet spot and keeps the charging from being interrupted. No fix for the location though.

So, if your heart is set on the OEM and it is plug & play, it's probably worth it for a clean setup and no extra cables. If you're open to just getting a wireless charger, it's probably worth exploring other options as there are lots out there. Whatever you decide, best of luck, and be sure to update us!
Sponsored

 
 







Top