• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Integrated Box Step Question

GManGeno

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Really wish the Raptor exhaust wasn't an issue. I love the integrated side step. ☹

Maybe an aftermarket exhaust will free up the space needed...
interestingly, based on one of the reviews I saw, the box step would fit on the raptor drivers' side but the exhaust on passenger side is the issue and Ford did not want an asymmetrical bumper. So, the RR doesn't get any.
Sponsored

jrRaptor

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 RRaptor, 93 cobra, 11 CTS-V, 15 GSX-R1000
Occupation
Engineer
interestingly, based on one of the reviews I saw, the box step would fit on the raptor drivers' side but the exhaust on passenger side is the issue and Ford did not want an asymmetrical bumper. So, the RR doesn't get any.
I saw that as well. I would probably have OCD with an asymmetrical bumper. Would love to make it work somehow. I can't ever leave anything stock. Where there's a will, there's a way.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I can just see someone pushing their knee into the box side when up on the step. The main reason I did not add it to my truck.
My thought exactly, as I have done this on my current Ranger when using the wheel, although I suspect it would be less likely with the box-step as you will have better leverage than using the wheel

Is this step really necessary on the Ranger? I am waiting for the 2.7L and was not planing on ordering the step. Seems like you could just step on the tire, rim, or lower the tailgate… Maybe it would be a little more useful if it was up near the front of the bed, but it‘s literally right next to the tailgate. I understand the need in the F-150, but this truck is much lower.
I go in and out of the back of my truck quite a bit because I use it hauling construction material and the box step is 100% necessary IMO. The tailgate and tire are a pretty big step up if you're not over 8' tall. I found out the hard way that the rear fender dents real easy if you hit it with your knee....and it's real easy to do when using the wheel because of your body momentum created when pulling yourself up. When using the tailgate, it's virtually impossible to use it to step-up into the box because you don't have something directly in front of you to grab onto. And with the tailgate down, there is very little bumper exposed to use as a step.
Trying any of this when you're parked on a slope makes it real sketchy getting into the box.
Now you can easily use the tailgate to set your knee on and pull yourself up, but I've missed spotting nails, rocks, or other debris and sticking it into my knee one too many times do want to do it that way.

Viporpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fusion Sport / 2021 Ford Edge SEL
I can just see someone pushing their knee into the box side when up on the step. The main reason I did not add it to my truck.
Agreed. Knee , belt buckle , keys , pocket knife. All will scratch the paint. No thanks. I didnt order them either for all those reasons.
Sponsored