• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

J-Brace Installation, Yikes

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
I started installing the J-Braces on the passenger side and have gotten to the point where I can see where they bolt on. I can say that this is no job that can be done easily, it will make you cuss. The instructions call for drilling out the two pop rivets but as you can see in the pictures I failed on that step so now have to find a way to remove what remains of the pop rivets and suspect a saber saw may be the solution. Cutting the metal at the corner to allow sliding of the backing plate up inside the vertical channel and bolting the J-Brace in place I can handle but getting to this point wasn’t fun.
Ford Ranger J-Brace Installation, Yikes IMG_6694
Ford Ranger J-Brace Installation, Yikes IMG_6692
Ford Ranger J-Brace Installation, Yikes IMG_6688

Last edited:

DanTheMan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Occupation
Social Worker
So it seems that these braces are currently listed as a service bulletin in the UK but not North America. What the heck?

olefordguy

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Expedition Limited, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
IMO it’s a dumb failure on Ford for not installing those at the factory. That’s a structural piece! The average buyer is not gonna have a clue about the need for those when installing normal truck accessories. Ford aught to be ashamed, I would venture to assume nothing like that is needed on the competitors trucks

ivotuk

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT
I would hold off using any kind of saw as that tends to open things up to corrosion.

When you're done, spray it with silver Rust-Oleum. The light color makes it easier to see any problems.

Places you get rust, use a paint brush and lightly cover it with OSPHO. Let it sit over night then rinse it off, dry it, and apply paint.

OSPHO kills surface rust.

I've used OSPHO on fishing boats, and keep a bottle in my garage. Keep it out if reach of children and pets.

https://www.ospho.com/

Sponsored

pablo94sc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus
IMO it’s a dumb failure on Ford for not installing those at the factory. That’s a structural piece! The average buyer is not gonna have a clue about the need for those when installing normal truck accessories. Ford aught to be ashamed, I would venture to assume nothing like that is needed on the competitors trucks
I never heard of these until here, and I've owned trucks in the past. It seems like a necessary component, not an aftermarket accessory to support accessories. I'm at a loss as to why Ford didn't build these into the bed at the factory.

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, ordered '24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Interestingly enough, there is a TSB indicating that, if you buy a topper from ford, they will install the braces under "warranty", but not for those that decide to buy one from someone else.

Sponsored

10-4 Overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Raptor Ranger, 2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
At least for the rest of us, maybe it will help that the allowable install time is in writing.. 1.6 hrs?

Worth a try :)

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
attached is the Ford Customer Satisfaction Program memo (23P22) (NHTSA # 10251256) for the J bracket on 2024 Ranger
It's interesting how it says "This program will be in effect through July 31, 2025".

This makes me wonder...will it start being added from the factory after July 2025?

OP
OP
FreezingFlatlander

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
If anyone can get the dealer to install these for under $200 then believe me it's the best money you ever spent as I am finding it's taking me more time than expected and it's a harder task than anticipated.

Walker

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Gas Man
So what would happen if there was too much weight on the bed side? Has this happened and are there failure pictures somewhere?

Mike9816

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F-250 XLT Lariat 4X4, 2018 Escape 2.0L 4X4
Occupation
Retired
So what would happen if there was too much weight on the bed side? Has this happened and are there failure pictures somewhere?
It may not be verticle loads. I think it's to prevent lateral movement. " Ford recommends the installation of a load box reinforcement bracket kit to improve the structural performance of the bed when used in extreme off-road conditions."
Sponsored