• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Why are you waiting for a 2023 Ranger instead of buying a current model mid-size truck?

Frosty 2019

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Walmart Associate
I would love a heated steering wheel and a lighted push-button starter
Sponsored

LOBBS

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Quality Manager
I'm in allocation purgatory waiting on my BadSquatch Bronco anyways. The Ranger Raptor caught my eye in a major way. It should come in at roughly the same price as my Bronco order. The Raptor seems like the better bang for the buck, honestly. Not paying that "Bronco/Wrangler tax". At this point, it's which can Ford get to me first.

XxMcCoyxX

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2010 Ford Edge
Wife is wanting new truck and I love the new Ranger. Ford family

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 OBS 7.3, 06 TJ
I see the alternator is even lower on the 3.0 L and I am also not happy the rear seat is not split.
dang... that's unfortunate. :-/

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of people use their ranger and bronco off-roading and the failure rate seems minimal. I think the issue is getting blown out of proportion.
Maybe. but I dont think it's very wise to choose a vehicle that knowingly has a alternator that would get flooded in a mild water crossing. Just doesn't seem right. It would be different if it was a sealed unit.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020.75 Ford Ranger Raptor, 2013 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Senior Eng & Tech advisor
I was going to buy a new Ranger, but found out the backseat doesn't fold flat . Also, from what I've read, the '2023 will be slightly larger so I'm hoping Ford made better use of the rear area. And, the grill looks more like a Ford than current one...imo.
The overall length of the new Ranger is actually a smidge shorter than the outgoing model (-15mm). The wheelbase is slightly longer (+50mm confirmed by Ford), the cab is basically unchanged. The the width has also changed, but not meaningfully (+50mm apparently, but I've seen conflicting numbers)

Sponsored

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I see the alternator is even lower on the 3.0 L
The alternator is a sealed, water cooled unit. Mud won't be getting into it like normal open, air cooled alternators.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 OBS 7.3, 06 TJ
The alternator is a sealed, water cooled unit. Mud won't be getting into it like normal open, air cooled alternators.
a water cooled alternator? what craziness is that? Never heard of such a thing.

Connect

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2014 Nissan Rogue
The overall length of the new Ranger is actually a smidge shorter than the outgoing model (-15mm). The wheelbase is slightly longer (+50mm confirmed by Ford), the cab is basically unchanged. The the width has also changed, but not meaningfully (+50mm apparently, but I've seen conflicting numbers)
Any idea of the interior dimensions? I have not been able to find and I'm curious if the rear seat legroom got any better.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
a water cooled alternator? what craziness is that? Never heard of such a thing.
It's not crazy, the Bronco also uses a water cooled alternator on both engines apparently. If you seal it properly you have no way of cooling the windings, so they make them liquid cooled.

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any idea of the interior dimensions? I have not been able to find and I'm curious if the rear seat legroom got any better.
No change from what I've seen, but there is not specific detail on that yet.

Sponsored

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 OBS 7.3, 06 TJ
It's not crazy, the Bronco also uses a water cooled alternator on both engines apparently. If you seal it properly you have no way of cooling the windings, so they make them liquid cooled.
That must be a global thing. I dont think any US vehicles have water cooled alternators. I'm sure there would be videos all over it if the US bronco had that...

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That must be a global thing. I dont think any US vehicles have water cooled alternators. I'm sure there would be videos all over it if the US bronco had that...
I can't find specific information on it either way, some photos seem to show a conventional alternator on the 2.7 Bronco, but then others show a sealed unit. The image @Scooter posted shows a sealed unit.

Ford Ranger Why are you waiting for a 2023 Ranger instead of buying a current model mid-size truck? NextGenRangerRaptorEcoBoostV6Engine

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
No change from what I've seen, but there is not specific detail on that yet.
I agree. The current cab has slightly less width than most of its North American mid-size competition and if Ford had changed that on the next gen you would think they would have said so by now. It's probably not as big of an issue for the ROW market anyway and they haven't released any info on the NA version yet. I seriously doubt there will be any difference though. That would be too GMish. The only size increase I have read anything about is the increased width between the wheel well housings in the bed and they seem to be attributing that more to moving the rear shocks outboard of the frame rails a la F-150. A wider frame doesn't necessarily mean a wider cab. The T6 platform has rightly so always been focused on the international market and we fat-assed Americans take a back seat, so to speak. :LOL:

blksn8k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F-150 75 Bronco 70 Mach 1 68 Cougar 99 Cobra
I can't find specific information on it either way, some photos seem to show a conventional alternator on the 2.7 Bronco, but then others show a sealed unit. The image @Scooter posted shows a sealed unit.
So is the sealed unit cooled by engine coolant and/or engine oil or does it use some type of special internal cooling lubricant similar to some superchargers?

bill_AUS

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree. The current cab has slightly less width than most of its North American mid-size competition and if Ford had changed that on the next gen you would think they would have said so by now. It's probably not as big of an issue for the ROW market anyway and they haven't released any info on the NA version yet. I seriously doubt there will be any difference though. That would be too GMish. The only size increase I have read anything about is the increased width between the wheel well housings in the bed and they seem to be attributing that more to moving the rear shocks outboard of the frame rails a la F-150. A wider frame doesn't necessarily mean a wider cab. The T6 platform has rightly so always been focused on the international market and we fat-assed Americans take a back seat, so to speak. :LOL:
The cab seems unchanged in its fundamental dimensions from what I've seen. The extra width in the standard vehicles is all in the fenders as you call them. The front axle was shifted further forward, but the firewall location appears to have remained static. For ROW, it already was the most spacious cabin in the market so it had a head start. When it launched in 2011 it was huge compared to the competition, and it really made the Navara, Hilux and Colorado look small.
Sponsored