• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2.3L and 2.7L Engines

Terrorbyte

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang GT PP1 6spd
Occupation
Software Engineer
Like I said, doesn’t eliminate it, I just don’t think it’s wise to assume there won’t be buildup at all. But I do agree, and at 125k a walnut blast is not a huge expense.
word. its a whole lot less maintenance than engines used to have to endure.
i loved my F150 but it was just larger than what i needed and the previous ranger looked interesting on the outside but like a ford focus on the inside which made that a non starter.

hopefully the 2024 hits the spot. im anxious to check one out.
Sponsored

Ranger Nick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger
Occupation
Lawyer
Why is that? F150 has 6 engine choices. The T6 platform has been proven to accept 2.7 V6 in Broncos.
If Ford really wants to steer people away from Ranger, just do away with US Ranger. If Ranger wasn't available, that wouldn't compel me to buy an F150.
I think most people in the midsize market are there for a reason; the midsize. If the Ranger wasn’t available, I’d stick with a Canyon or Colorado.

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
Need something else to talk about. General Engine Chat.

Has the 2.3L Engine been up graded since the 5G Ranger. Ford 2.3 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, Mustang, Focus RS (motorreviewer.com)

Has the 2.7L Engine been upgrade since 2018. Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, F-150, Bronco (motorreviewer.com)

Most likely both of them the emission systems have been improved.

Has the fuel economy improved.

What do you think about the engine Architecture.

How easy are the engines to service. ie Ranger 2.3L 5G oil filter is recommended to go in through the left fender and remove the mud guard.

2.7L has the Port and direct injection. Less possibility in the long term of having coking problems on the valves

2.7L Engine Compartment 2021 Ford Bronco 1.jpg
Need something else to talk about. General Engine Chat.

Has the 2.3L Engine been up graded since the 5G Ranger. Ford 2.3 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, Mustang, Focus RS (motorreviewer.com)

Has the 2.7L Engine been upgrade since 2018. Ford 2.7 EcoBoost Engine Specs, Problems, Reliability, oil, F-150, Bronco (motorreviewer.com)

Most likely both of them the emission systems have been improved.

Has the fuel economy improved.

What do you think about the engine Architecture.

How easy are the engines to service. ie Ranger 2.3L 5G oil filter is recommended to go in through the left fender and remove the mud guard.

2.7L has the Port and direct injection. Less possibility in the long term of having coking problems on the valves

2.7L Engine Compartment 2021 Ford Bronco 1.jpg
I would prefer the 2.7 engine but with production delays due to the strike I doubt they will be showing up for a long, long time. The local dealer has a 2.3 that was scheduled for production that I may trade for if it's ever produced. I have an F150 4x4 with the 2.7 engine and love it, lots of power . rarely do I get less than 20 mpg. I have a friend with a 2021 Ranger, 2.3 engine, and he tells me he likes it except that it averages 19 mpg which is disappointing. A search on the Fuelly app shows that the 2.3 engine average fuel mileage is in the 18-20 mpg range. The dealer told me that the 2.3 engine will not get anywhere near the EPA rating and that 19 mpg is what they had been hearing. I want something smaller than the F150 but am not willing to wait a year to get one with the 2.7 engine. Am sticking with Ford because of the dealership here has been so good to me over the years.

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
I would prefer the 2.7 engine but with production delays due to the strike I doubt they will be showing up for a long, long time. The local dealer has a 2.3 that was scheduled for production that I may trade for if it's ever produced. I have an F150 4x4 with the 2.7 engine and love it, lots of power . rarely do I get less than 20 mpg. I have a friend with a 2021 Ranger, 2.3 engine, and he tells me he likes it except that it averages 19 mpg which is disappointing. A search on the Fuelly app shows that the 2.3 engine average fuel mileage is in the 18-20 mpg range. The dealer told me that the 2.3 engine will not get anywhere near the EPA rating and that 19 mpg is what they had been hearing. I want something smaller than the F150 but am not willing to wait a year to get one with the 2.7 engine. Am sticking with Ford because of the dealership here has been so good to me over the years.
Is your friends 2.3L Ranger the Tremor model? Those do get around 19 and also depends on many factors. My 2.3L Lariat Fx4 averages 23.5 back and forth to work. 55mph country roads I can easily get 26. It depends on how its driven and my tires are also stock sized.

FreezingFlatlander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Retired
Is your friends 2.3L Ranger the Tremor model? Those do get around 19 and also depends on many factors. My 2.3L Lariat Fx4 averages 23.5 back and forth to work. 55mph country roads I can easily get 26. It depends on how its driven and my tires are also stock sized.
No, my friend does not have a Tremor, it's an XLT. He is a farmer so lots of the driving is on rural dirt roads at speeds around 45-50 mph, same as me. Thanks for reporting your experience with the 2.3 and it's gas mileage. Some may question why I would trade and F150 2.7 that gets 20 mpg and over but it's mostly because I just want something smaller, something easier to park and manuever. I retired from farming so really don't need the larger truck, the F150 is a great truck.

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired
I had a 2020 Ranger FX4 and for the most part was happy with the performance and economy of the 2.3L engine. It had no problem hauling my 3K pound travel trailer. A couple of things did bother me about it. The DI injectors were noisy. Sometimes the thing sounded like a diesel clattering.
That and knowing that carbon was building up on the valves and would have to be addressed some day.

A good friend had the 2.7L in an F150. He was happy with it but did have leaks from the oil pan.

I'm currently driving a 23 F150 Rattler. Awesome truck and I'm spoiled by the 3.5L engine 400 hp and 500 lb ft of torque. It still manages to get just over 20 mpg. BUT, It's a large truck and I don't particularly like driving it. I've been driving mid size trucks or Jeeps (Wranglers, a Gladiator) for years. Guess I'm just used to smaller and more maneuverable vehicles.

I've already asked my dealer to give me a call when I can order a Ranger with the 2.7 engine.
Sponsored