• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2.3L and 2.7L Engines

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I would love to save money and be able to order early before they start taking options away by going with the 2.3. I'm just worried about longevity with the direct injection only and the brake system that comes with the 2.3. Furthermore, I don't think MPG will actually be an improvement.
I think for midsize trucks 1 or 2 MPG can be a big deal. I also see that the Chevy Colorado 2.7 liter is a powerful and gas thirsty beast. I think its possible the Ford 2.7 could be in this range.
Sponsored

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Escape SE, 23 Colorado LT
I've read reports of brake failure with the 2.3 and a NHTSA investigation, so I don't know if I'm overthinking or not but it worries me. Furthermore if they made a point to change the engine to be both direct and port injection going forward in the Mustang at least, that says they recognize a problem and are trying to fix it for future iterations. They're not spending money to re-engineer an engine just for fun.

Will the 2.3 really have extra MPG? In the Bronco it's 20/21/20 combined for the 2.3 and 19/21/20 combined for the 2.7. According to some owners on their forums, if you push the 2.3 at high rate of speed and/or elevation, then the 2.7 gets better mileage. So it seems like a wash overall. I would love to save money and be able to order early before they start taking options away by going with the 2.3. I'm just worried about longevity with the direct injection only and the brake system that comes with the 2.3. Furthermore, I don't think MPG will actually be an improvement.
I can't speak on the brake failure with the 2.3 and a NHTSA investigation. As I'm no mechanic. Regarding the engine itself, I've personally found the 2.3l to be perfectly satisfactory. The 2.3 I drive now sips gas, I can't speak for the 2.7. I don't know how much extra power the 2.7 provides, but I'm sure you looked into it. If you think you need it, then you will probably regret not getting it down the road. If you really don't need it, the 2.3 has been more then satisfactory.

Last edited:

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
That initial recall covers 2020 through 2022 Explorers with 2.3-liter engines and three-liter and 3.3-liter hybrids. The issue was fixed (my word...alledgedly)by a software update created to deploy the electronic parking brake if the drive shaft failed and was attributed to fractures of a rear axle mounting bolt that might cause the drive shaft to disengage. Safety issues may start off as a bulletin, then if founded go to a costly recall. As Ford is well aware of the problem, I would venture a guess it has been corrected...but of course I can't say for sure.

Regarding the engine, I've personally found the 2.3l to be perfectly satisfactory, and never personally experienced any of the above issues. One can search any vehicle and find one complaint or another. The 2.3 I drive now sips gas, I obviously can't speak for the 2.7. I don't know how much extra power the 2.7 provides, but I'm sure you looked into it. If you think you need it, then you will regret not getting it down the road. If you really don't need it, the 2.3 has been more then satisfactory.
I believe the brake issue he’s referring to is about defective brake boosters in the 2.3L Mustangs.

The issue you’re referring to is Ford deciding to only use one axle bolt in the rear of the Explorer on all non-3.0 trims which could cause failure under hard acceleration. They pushed a software update to automatically engage the parking brake when you park and called it good enough.

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the brake issue he’s referring to is about defective brake boosters in the 2.3L Mustangs.

The issue you’re referring to is Ford deciding to only use one axle bolt in the rear of the Explorer on all non-3.0 trims which could cause failure under hard acceleration. They pushed a software update to automatically engage the parking brake when you park and called it good enough.
Awww...I just assumed the OP was looking ahead and referring to a 6G Ranger due to known Bronco issues as they are based on the same platform I believe. Either way, mechanically I still was probably not knowing what I was talking about. I just need to keep my big mouth shut! I'm, going to delete the first half, and stick on the "what engine to pick" opinion where I believe I'm on firmer ground! :)

Last edited:

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler

I was referring to brake failures in the 2.3 Broncos.

Sponsored

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
I can't speak on the brake failure with the 2.3 and a NHTSA investigation. As I'm no mechanic. Regarding the engine itself, I've personally found the 2.3l to be perfectly satisfactory. The 2.3 I drive now sips gas, I obviously can't speak for the 2.7. I don't know how much extra power the 2.7 provides, but I'm sure you looked into it. If you think you need it, then you will probably regret not getting it down the road. If you really don't need it, the 2.3 has been more then satisfactory.
It’s not the power difference I’m worried about because I live at sea level and don’t tow often. It’s the engine longevity with respect to carbon build up and the brake issues that are weighing on my mind.

Raynger24

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not the power difference I’m worried about because I live at sea level and don’t tow often. It’s the engine longevity with respect to carbon build up and the brake issues that are weighing on my mind.
I totally understand those concerns. From everything I've read, they are both overall proven and reliable engines. And, like most well maintained engines should have a long life. I personally pour a bottle of quality injector/carbon cleaning fluid in my gas tank around every five thousand miles. I can only attest to the 2.3 on a personal level. I've had the 2.3 in my prior and current vehicle with no problems. The one I have now almost litterally sips on the gas. I don't have a lead foot so that has something to do with it I'm sure. I think the 2.7 (I read somewhere on this forum is an additioanl $1,849, or something like that option). I also don't like to wait, and have been unlucky enough to get caught in the never ending not getting scheduled loop. As of now, my understanding is the 2.3 is ready to go. Personally, I'm going with the 2.3 again with ZERO reservations. I just have become VERY lerry of anything that can hold my scheduling up. I'm spitballing here, but I think a brake issue would eventually go from bulletin to recall as it would be a safety issue, and cost Ford big if not truly fixed. Of course, I have no knowledge that is the case or not. In looking up the 2.7 these are issues that came up:

A closer look at the most common Ford 2.7 EcoBoost problems
  • Leaking oil pan. ...
  • Coolant leaks and ECT sensor malfunctions. ...
  • Carbon buildup in the intake valves. ...
  • Defect in the cylinder head and head gaskets. ...
  • Check engine light unnecessarily going off. ...
  • White or blue smoke during cold spells. ...
  • Calibrating issues.
As for reliabilty and longetivity these seem to be the general prevailing opinions I found online:

"Since their debuts in 2015, the Ford 2.3 vs 2.7 EcoBoost engines have built solid reputations for themselves. Initially, some Ford enthusiasts were skeptical of their smaller displacement and turbocharged aspiration. However, both the 2.3 and 2.7 EcoBoosts have quieted most critics by delivering smooth and easy power while maintaining high levels of reliability and longevity."

In my experience, we usually can always find complaint problems with any vehicle and/or components. My personal experience and opinion, I would get ahead of the curb as you mentioned earlier with the 2.3. Whichever way you decide, may it work out well for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I see both the Ranger and Raptor has Terrain Management System,™ Trail Control™, Drive Modes, Off-road screen with front camera.

Trail Control, which is like cruise control for off-roading. The driver simply selects a set speed, and the vehicle manages acceleration and braking. Are both the systems the same on both vehicles with the Raptor having a couple more modes and a crawl ratio.

Raptor in the transfer case has a crawl ratio 67.88:1. The standard Ranger does not have that.

So the standard Ranger can be put into full time 4 wheel Drive and the clutches in the transfer case will make up for different wheel speeds. Confused about the rear locker then. I guess the Raptor will do both full and part time 4 wheel drive, part time, where the wheels will turn at the same speed. . What makes the 4A different.

Just trying to understand these systems.

I have a Duratek or is it Duratech. 2.3L just around 120Km. Had it for 12 years. Very dependable. Just change the oil every season for my mileage. Motor may be deserving of looking at what the carbon build up on the valves looks like.

Last edited:

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
I see both the Ranger and Raptor has Terrain Management System,™ Trail Control™, Drive Modes, Off-road screen with front camera.

Trail Control, which is like cruise control for off-roading. The driver simply selects a set speed, and the vehicle manages acceleration and braking. Are both the systems the same on both vehicles with the Raptor having a couple more modes and a crawl ratio.

Raptor in the transfer case has a crawl ratio 67.88:1. The standard Ranger does not have that.

So the standard Ranger can be put into full time 4 wheel Drive and the clutches in the transfer case will make up for different wheel speeds. Confused about the rear locker then. I guess the Raptor will do both full and part time 4 wheel drive, part time, where the wheels will turn at the same speed. . What makes the 4A different.

I have a Duratek or is it Duratech. 2.3L just around 120Km. Had it for 12 years. Very dependable. Just change the oil every season for my mileage. Motor may be deserving of looking at what the carbon build up on the valves looks like.
Full Time 4WD just means that the engagement of the front wheels to engine torque is electronically controlled, as needed, when the computer sense slip. It is safe to use at all speeds and terrains. Part time 4WD means that torque is applied to both axles constantly. It is technically safe to use on all terrains but at low speeds, but primarily used on loose surfaces, so not for road use. The front and rear lockers are not part of the 4wd system itself, instead they’re independently selected by the driver (or electronically activated by the drive mode). All this does is lock the left and right axle shafts together instead of allowing them to turn at different speed. Lockers can only be used at slow speed and on loose surfaces with minimal turning (aka climbing up a dirt hill). It is not safe to use them on the road or even in a tight turn (because the wheels need to turn at separate speeds to turn). The various drive modes ford includes can change the various transfer case and locker combinations for that task but those functions can be activated manually by the user provided it’s safe and suitable to do so.

Trail Control is exactly what you describe, cruise control for off road. It’s software based. Trail control most likely functions the same for both vehicles. Whether or not it’s the same doesn’t matter because everything about the power train is effectively different.

EVERY vehicle has a crawl ratio, it’s determined by the torque that gets to the ground versus the torque that’s applied by the engine. It is calculated using the gear ratios in the transmission, transfer case, and differential. Since the Raptor has different gearing it has a different crawl ratio. Someone else can confirm but it appears that the Raptor is the only model with 4A so I would not be surprised to learn that it has a different transfer case.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer

Maybe take a look at this video that thoroughly explains what’s going on:

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It really is a bummer that the standard ranger, even lariat + FX4, isn't getting a 4A button. I wonder if the functionality exists within the truck and if it would be as easy as getting a selector switch that allows the toggle.

Terrorbyte

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang GT PP1 6spd
Occupation
Software Engineer
:

A closer look at the most common Ford 2.7 EcoBoost problems
  • Leaking oil pan. ...
  • Coolant leaks and ECT sensor malfunctions. ...
  • Carbon buildup in the intake valves. ...
  • Defect in the cylinder head and head gaskets. ...
  • Check engine light unnecessarily going off. ...
  • White or blue smoke during cold spells. ...
  • Calibrating issues.
the newer 12 injector 2.7's dont have carbon buildup because the normal fuel injectors wash the intake valves like God intended.

i had a 6 injector one, it was a beast, and my stepdad had the newer one and it was even better.

I just found out about ford making the new ranger look like an actual truck again and I'm anxiously waiting to drive a 2.7 equipped one.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
the newer 12 injector 2.7's dont have carbon buildup because the normal fuel injectors wash the intake valves like God intended.

i had a 6 injector one, it was a beast, and my stepdad had the newer one and it was even better.

I just found out about ford making the new ranger look like an actual truck again and I'm anxiously waiting to drive a 2.7 equipped one.
According to this guy, the dual injection doesn’t really eliminate the problem but does slow it down. I think a catch can is still a good idea on these.

Terrorbyte

First Name
Douglas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang GT PP1 6spd
Occupation
Software Engineer
maybe but that's a 3.5 which is a very different engine so it might be apples to oranges. also, 125K miles and having some buildup isn't bad.

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
maybe but that's a 3.5 which is a very different engine so it might be apples to oranges. also, 125K miles and having some buildup isn't bad.
Like I said, doesn’t eliminate it, I just don’t think it’s wise to assume there won’t be buildup at all. But I do agree, and at 125k a walnut blast is not a huge expense.
Sponsored