• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2.3L and 2.7L Engines

Zackattack2846

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 gmc canyon
Occupation
Tech
Anyone have info on the reliability of the 3.0 v6?
My fear is that they arnt in high volume (I know bronco raptors are few and far between)
Have they worked out all the problems on them? I got a gmc 2018 3.6 v6 and while performance numbers don’t wow me, it’s pretty bullet proof with all the off-roading iv done with it
Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone have info on the reliability of the 3.0 v6?
My fear is that they arnt in high volume (I know bronco raptors are few and far between)
Have they worked out all the problems on them? I got a gmc 2018 3.6 v6 and while performance numbers don’t wow me, it’s pretty bullet proof with all the off-roading iv done with it
Tough question but also not so tough question.

The Explorer ST has had this engine with a different tune since the 2020 model year. I frequent the Explorer forums and haven't seen anything major come up as far as the engine (most complaints are about the camera, software, and rear subframe bolts). The engine has also been in the BRaptor for two model years now, and although I don't follow them closely, I haven't heard of anything major. The ROW has has this engine in the RRaptor for a year at least and I haven't seen anything there yet. So the answer is...no major issues thus far. But no one can predict how these things will age.

Coming from a 3.5L EcoBoost, here are my best tips:

1. Change the oil more often than the manual and the car tell you to. You should be aiming for less than 5K intervals. This is the cheapest insurance against a variety of problems caused by oil starvation and sludge buildup.
2. The 3.0 is DI only, so that means over time you will get buildup on your intake valves which will rob you of power over time. A true two mode catch can (not a single mode Amazon el cheapo) will help to catch contaminants before they settle on the intake valves. Ford has no official process for cleaning buildup off the intake valves so the only move is to prevent it in the first place.
3. We are fortunate that the 3.0L has an external water pump. The 3.5L water pump issues are legendary. So if it goes, it at least won't grenade your engine. That being said, flush your coolant system and keep clean fluid in it at all times to prevent corrosion and contamination.
4. Don't overlook your air filter. A dirty air filter is a good way to choke out your turbo and rob you of power.

Hopefully someone in this forum will do the leg work of doing some oil analysis to share with the group so we can keep track of how well this engine does with oil change intervals.

OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
OP
OP
Scooter

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65 Comet, 2011 Ford Ranger
Occupation
--Machinist
I see both the Ranger and Raptor has Terrain Management System,™ Trail Control™, Drive Modes, Off-road screen with front camera. Trail Control, which is like cruise control for off-roading. The driver simply selects a set speed, and the vehicle manages acceleration and braking. Are both the systems the same on both vehicles with the Raptor having a couple more modes and a crawl ratio. Is the 4A Maximum crawl ratio 67.88:1 in the transfer case or is this done electronically. Is this correct: So the standard Ranger can be put into full time 4 wheel Drive and the clutches in the transfer case will make up for different wheel speeds. Confused about the rear locker then. I guess the Raptor will do both full and part time 4 wheel drive, part time, where the wheels will turn at the same speed. . What makes the Raptor 4A different or is that part time 4 wheel drive. Just trying to understand these systems.

Last edited:

Sponsored

goalieThreeOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 Raptor
Occupation
Engineer
How does the Crawl mode differ from the Ranger to the Ranger Raptor. Does it work the same I see the Raptor has a crawl ratio in the transfer case where the Ranger does not. Is the Crawl mode still used on the Ranger.
All vehicles have a crawl ratio. It’s the ratio of torque at the wheels compared to the torque at the flywheel of the engine. It’s not related to a crawl mode.

Deleted member 6764

From some of the documents (towing guide and body builders) it looks like they may only offer the 2.7L V6 ecoboost with 4x4. Does anyone know if they will offer it with 4x2?

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
For the past couple weeks I’ve been debating between the 2.3 and 2.7. Initially I was hoping for the 2.7 to be available in the new Ranger and was 100% set on that. However, the price of the Ranger is more than I was guesstimating and I’d really prefer not to wait a year to get back in a truck for several reasons. That has me considering the 2.3.

I test drove a 2021 or 2022 Tremor the other day, and it had enough pick up and go on the flat roads of Florida, although I’m not sure if the Tremor is tuned differently than a regular Ranger. But my main concern is longevity since I plan to keep the truck for more than a decade. Ford changing the 2.3 in the Mustang to be dual injection basically confirms solely being direct injection isn’t a good thing.

Decisions, decisions…
Just remember that that the Ranger has been using the same 2.3 liter for years now and folks generally seem to be ok with it. I would also like some extra MPGs if it is possible.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just remember that that the Ranger has been using the same 2.3 liter for years now and folks generally seem to be ok with it. I would also like some extra MPGs if it is possible.
Agree with this and that's why i'm not waiting on the 2.7

If i wanted a faster vehicle, I wouldn't be buying a truck and I'd keep my FoST or upgrade to a mustang/camaro/ctr/its. The 2.7 doesn't change the towing capacity or the payload, it doesn't make offroading any better, it will get worse MPGs and it will cost at least a grand more.

HighDesertRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Sport
Occupation
Sales Manager
Agree with this and that's why i'm not waiting on the 2.7

If i wanted a faster vehicle, I wouldn't be buying a truck and I'd keep my FoST or upgrade to a mustang/camaro/ctr/its. The 2.7 doesn't change the towing capacity or the payload, it doesn't make offroading any better, it will get worse MPGs and it will cost at least a grand more.
On the Bronco the 2.7 engine is an $1,895 option. I expect it to be similar with the Ranger once it’s available.

Sponsored

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
I've read reports of brake failure with the 2.3 and a NHTSA investigation, so I don't know if I'm overthinking or not but it worries me. Furthermore if they made a point to change the engine to be both direct and port injection going forward in the Mustang at least, that says they recognize a problem and are trying to fix it for future iterations. They're not spending money to re-engineer an engine just for fun.

Will the 2.3 really have extra MPG? In the Bronco it's 20/21/20 combined for the 2.3 and 19/21/20 combined for the 2.7. According to some owners on their forums, if you push the 2.3 at high rate of speed and/or elevation, then the 2.7 gets better mileage. So it seems like a wash overall.

I would love to save money and be able to order early before they start taking options away by going with the 2.3. I'm just worried about longevity with the direct injection only and the brake system that comes with the 2.3. Furthermore, I don't think MPG will actually be an improvement.

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
From some of the documents (towing guide and body builders) it looks like they may only offer the 2.7L V6 ecoboost with 4x4. Does anyone know if they will offer it with 4x2?
This would be a game changer for me since I recently decided to go 2wd instead of 4wd. This is the first I've ever heard someone mention that possibility. Why wouldn't they offer it with 2wd? Doesn't make any sense.

Deleted member 6764

This would be a game changer for me since I recently decided to go 2wd instead of 4wd. This is the first I've ever heard someone mention that possibility. Why wouldn't they offer it with 2wd? Doesn't make any sense.
Same here, I've ordered a 4x2 XLT with the 2.3L and I'm interested in the 2.7L, I would possibly modify the order. but the preliminary towing guide makes it seem like it may only be available on 4x4, but is just preliminary. The first body builders guide also only said 4x4 for it, but on the newer one it was removed altogether.

Deleted member 6764

Same here, I've ordered a 4x2 XLT with the 2.3L and I'm interested in the 2.7L, I would possibly modify the order. but the preliminary towing guide makes it seem like it may only be available on 4x4, but is just preliminary. The first body builders guide also only said 4x4 for it, but on the newer one it was removed altogether.
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten.../towing/pdf/2024-Ford-Ranger-Towing-Guide.pdf

However CR says the 2.7L V6 will be available with both. Two dealers I've asked have no clue. So, hard to tell at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
I've read reports of brake failure with the 2.3 and a NHTSA investigation, so I don't know if I'm overthinking or not but it worries me. Furthermore if they made a point to change the engine to be both direct and port injection going forward in the Mustang at least, that says they recognize a problem and are trying to fix it for future iterations. They're not spending money to re-engineer an engine just for fun.

Will the 2.3 really have extra MPG? In the Bronco it's 20/21/20 combined for the 2.3 and 19/21/20 combined for the 2.7. According to some owners on their forums, if you push the 2.3 at high rate of speed and/or elevation, then the 2.7 gets better mileage. So it seems like a wash overall.

I would love to save money and be able to order early before they start taking options away by going with the 2.3. I'm just worried about longevity with the direct injection only and the brake system that comes with the 2.3. Furthermore, I don't think MPG will actually be an improvement.
Interesting, and if I Google this information, I get sent down a rabbit hole. Hopefully this is something which gets addressed and Ford knows about. Really sounds scary!
Sponsored