• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

For Those Considering the Toyota Tacoma

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
I'm not the person that said they were talking to a toyota dealer, I'm just saying they started shipping last month and people have taken ownership as of the last week.

I'm guessing the other person wants a specific trim + options, and as we all know toyota doesn't allow you to order anything. You get what they send and there's a long waitlist on the high-demand trims.
Correct, you only get what they have and not a lot of them out yet
Sponsored

craigc

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
The Tacoma looks the same as Ranger on the 4X4 selector. I'm sure frequent offroaders like that easy of access, but personally, i'd rather have some volume controls and maybe a few other frequently used buttons over the 4x4 in that place. My old Tahoe had 4x4 on the left dash out of the way and is convenient enough there. not sure why they chose prime real estate on the armrest area for that function....

jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ranger XLT 4x2
The Tacoma looks the same as Ranger on the 4X4 selector. I'm sure frequent offroaders like that easy of access, but personally, i'd rather have some volume controls and maybe a few other frequently used buttons over the 4x4 in that place. My old Tahoe had 4x4 on the left dash out of the way and is convenient enough there. not sure why they chose prime real estate on the armrest area for that function....
Both trucks have audio controls on the steering wheel. If I need to take my hand off the wheel and reach, I might as well grab the volume knob. The knob on the Ranger also doubles as the Trailer Bak-up Assist knob.

richman555

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV
Occupation
Software Engineer
The main reason I hate the new Tacoma is that ugly front bumper. The Ranger Raptor has a real bumper that can be replaced with an aftermarket option without having to cut painted parts. The Tacoma requires extensive cutting to fit a metal bumper, which I would not be willing to do. As many of these truck that are used as overland rigs, I think this was a mistake by Toyota. Not that the non raptor rangers are any better, but at least the RR isn’t all plastic, so my decision to get a RR was an easy one.
I always think the Tacoma has a big nose. Also in 2024, the rear bumper is squashed in the back. Once you see these things, you can't unsee it.

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
New video of the TRD Pro in action. I'm sticking with the Raptor, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have to think about it real hard. Toyota has set a new standard in tech that the other companies will have to catch up to.

If you watch nothing else on this video, watch the section on the camera system. As a future Raptor owner, I'm awfully jealous of all those bed cameras and other camera angels for off-roading. The Ranger will have good cameras too, just not this good unfortunately.

Sponsored

cboggs

First Name
Curtiss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger
New video of the TRD Pro in action. I'm sticking with the Raptor, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have to think about it real hard. Toyota has set a new standard in tech that the other companies will have to catch up to.

If you watch nothing else on this video, watch the section on the camera system. As a future Raptor owner, I'm awfully jealous of all those bed cameras and other camera angels for off-roading. The Ranger will have good cameras too, just not this good unfortunately.

Honestly, I saw a TRD pre-runner (a mid level trim starting at 39k)at an auto show and it was the cheapest plastic interior I have ever seen. It was already breaking down and getting scratched from people getting in an out. It looked like plastic from a child’s toy:

Ford Ranger For Those Considering the Toyota Tacoma 1D0D0304-7F3A-4430-A1C8-64506740293F

Ford Ranger For Those Considering the Toyota Tacoma 7ECB996C-D9C2-4067-ACE3-787ABBD725E8

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Honestly, I saw a TRD pre-runner (a mid level trim starting at 39k)at an auto show and it was the cheapest plastic interior I have ever seen. It was already breaking down and getting scratched from people getting in an out. It looked like plastic from a child’s toy:

1D0D0304-7F3A-4430-A1C8-64506740293F.jpeg

7ECB996C-D9C2-4067-ACE3-787ABBD725E8.jpeg
that interior looks like it's preproduction

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4

The issue is things are pretty set and most trucks probably wont do anything to catch up till mid cycle refresh. If you do something to soon it will tick off early adopters.

To me the what is really disappointing is the tech on the XLT. No led headlights, No push start etc. I mean I buy what I need and this is the model but I feel it is gimped.

As far as GM goes not having android auto is a no go for me.

Honestly if I am going with the XLT and its low tech, I might as well get the Nissan pro 4x. More tech than a Ranger XLT and cheaper. My issue really is it is a little smaller than I like in the back seat and this is where the Ranger seems better than others.

I had not even considered the Toyota but maybe the TRD offroad might be where it is at. Just not a fan of the looks of it both inside and out.

Maybe I should look at full sizes since they are starting to get discounted.

I am happy I still like my current Ranger and can sit back and wait. I am not a impulse buyer. I can sit back and wait for the right deal to come along.

I really think the only reason I am holding to the idea of a Ranger is how comfortable mine is and the bigger backseat than other mid sizes.

Ford is just become a disappointing company under Farley with not being able to deliver any product and with how expensive thigs have got under him.. Normally I would have bought a new Truck by now and maybe I will drive this one another 2 years.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The issue is things are pretty set and most trucks probably wont do anything to catch up till mid cycle refresh. If you do something to soon it will tick off early adopters.

To me the what is really disappointing is the tech on the XLT. No led headlights, No push start etc. I mean I buy what I need and this is the model but I feel it is gimped.

As far as GM goes not having android auto is a no go for me.

Honestly if I am going with the XLT and its low tech, I might as well get the Nissan pro 4x. More tech than a Ranger XLT and cheaper. My issue really is it is a little smaller than I like in the back seat and this is where the Ranger seems better than others.

I had not even considered the Toyota but maybe the TRD offroad might be where it is at. Just not a fan of the looks of it both inside and out.

Maybe I should look at full sizes since they are starting to get discounted.

I am happy I still like my current Ranger and can sit back and wait. I am not a impulse buyer. I can sit back and wait for the right deal to come along.

I really think the only reason I am holding to the idea of a Ranger is how comfortable mine is and the bigger backseat than other mid sizes.

Ford is just become a disappointing company under Farley with not being able to deliver any product and with how expensive thigs have got under him.. Normally I would have bought a new Truck by now and maybe I will drive this one another 2 years.
The Frontier pro-4x seems like a really good choice. If I wasn't set on a fully loaded lariat (and the tech it brings), I would probably go that route. The GM twins are a non-choice at this point, and the tacoma is cool in a lot of ways but also very pricey.

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
The Frontier pro-4x seems like a really good choice. If I wasn't set on a fully loaded lariat (and the tech it brings), I would probably go that route. The GM twins are a non-choice at this point, and the tacoma is cool in a lot of ways but also very pricey.
When I priced them the Taco it was only slightly more like 150.00 with the options I wanted. The Taco came with led headlights and push start and I would pay more for those and feel they are worth more than that. Down side is there connected package is subscription but I wonder how long Fords will be free with every one moving subscription based. I think both Ford and Toyota have got to expensive. Honestly I do not think the Colorado was far behind because of their goofy packages. Like trail boss does not come with heated seats at all.
Nissan was the lowest but not to far behind either but it did include allot more.

The wifes Tucson became subscription based. Not really cheap either. That said the app and service is so much better than sync.

Last edited:

PawnX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

I can't get over how bad the the screen looks on these. It's like, hey lets just put this bulky looking tablet right in the middle of everything.
Sponsored