• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Ford Missed The Boat

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
I know we're all Ford & Ranger fans here, but the context and content of the threads on this page reveal an underlying truth.

The threads and posts are all either about things Ford screwed up on, such as small fuel tank, lack of rear air, no long bed option, no SuperCab option, no Tremor, no ventilated seats, etc... or threads about the Raptor.

Virtually nobody is excited about the non-Raptor 2024 Ranger. There are several times more posts about people switching to GM, Toyota, or Nissan because of the poor Ranger options/design than there are people saying they're ordering a non-Raptor Ranger.

Ford missed the boat on the 2024 Ford Ranger. It is totally underwhelming.

I'm not impressed, Ford.
Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been on the internet long enough to realize that it's a mistake to think 20 people posting on a niche forum speak for the other 300million adults in the USA.

maybe we can wait for end-of-year sales numbers and subsequent rolling announcements/reveals before making the conclusion that ford has missed the boat.

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
I've been on the internet long enough to realize that it's a mistake to think 20 people posting on a niche forum speak for the other 300million adults in the USA.

maybe we can wait for end-of-year sales numbers and subsequent rolling announcements/reveals before making the conclusion that ford has missed the boat.
You do have a point. However, the Ranger in general seems to be an afterthought in the minds of the driving public, from what I’ve observed. Everyone knows Tacoma, and Colorado has taken a strong portion of the market. Ranger, on the other hand, seems to be a truck that only Ford guys buy. I don’t have numbers to back this up, but that’s the impression I get.

Over on the Bronco forum - which is loaded with thousands of diehard Ford enthusiasts - there’s very little discussion of Ranger, yet people seem very excited about the new GM trucks and the new Tacoma. If Ford fanboys are underwhelmed by this rollout, is the general public going to be impressed enough to buy it?

I want to love this truck, and there are things about it I certainly like, but there’s nothing so far that says to me, “Oh yeah, this is the truck I want”. I won’t be in the market for another 3 or 4 years, so there’s plenty of time for me to see what they add to the line up, but there sure are some good-looking alternatives out there…

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You do have a point. However, the Ranger in general seems to be an afterthought in the minds of the driving public, from what I’ve observed. Everyone knows Tacoma, and Colorado has taken a strong portion of the market. Ranger, on the other hand, seems to be a truck that only Ford guys buy. I don’t have numbers to back this up, but that’s the impression I get.

Over on the Bronco forum - which is loaded with thousands of diehard Ford enthusiasts - there’s very little discussion of Ranger, yet people seem very excited about the new GM trucks and the new Tacoma. If Ford fanboys are underwhelmed by this rollout, is the general public going to be impressed enough to buy it?

I want to love this truck, and there are things about it I certainly like, but there’s nothing so far that says to me, “Oh yeah, this is the truck I want”. I won’t be in the market for another 3 or 4 years, so there’s plenty of time for me to see what they add to the line up, but there sure are some good-looking alternatives out there…
If i was forced at gunpoint to pick a midsize today, I'd probably choose the AT4. But the GM twins are still lacking a lot of things like a power rear window, fold-down rear seats. The smaller instrument cluster with no option to upgrade in the GM twins is also a big let-down, you are forced into either the zr2, at4x or denali...otherwise you lose a ton of real estate in the cluster. I also think Ford's infotainment system is much better and they (Ford) are all in on AA/Carplay compared to GM saying they plan to eventually ditch Android Auto/Carplay for their own system (to datamine easier). The ranger's interior blows the GM twins out of the water, even on lower trims. Not to mention the abysmal MPG numbers from the GM trucks.

I would have to go back and compare, but i believe a lot of the GM trims don't have things like heated/ventillated seats. I think the ranger also has more power options in the bed (cig lighter outlet and normal outlet). Andre from TFL bought a trail boss that has no cruise control and uses halogen lights. Of the very few people who have gotten their GM truck delivered, one guy on the CO forums has already had two recalls, one being a completely wrong door panel.

GM dropped the ball big time on getting MPG numbers out and shipping has taken months longer than it should. Build dates started over 3 months ago and dealers near me still do not have any on the lot outside of fleet trims, and I live 40 minutes from the plant.

All i'm saying is it's a bit too early to judge who made the best decisions when we don't even have a single truck in US consumer hands. The Aussies and EU posters have only had great things to say about the truck and the GM options are missing some basic QOL features that the ranger comes equipped with. Ford is continually putting out new trims and options on the RoW models. Just give it some time.

Sponsored

Rando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
I'm not convinced that Ford wants to sell many Rangers in the US. MAP makes both the Ranger and the Bronco and they are still playing catch up on the Bronco. I'm willing to bet their mentality was to cut what they could, raise the price to quell demand, and if they sell they'll get good margin and if they don't they can sling more Broncos. But that may be a little tin-foil-hattey.

Snkrjeff020

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi RS3
Occupation
Medical Scientist

I sort of agree with you and OP. This is an enthusiast forum, so of course we are all hyped up on the Raptor because it is the "best" version of the Ranger. With that said, I wouldn't consider any of the lower trims, as I am not a fan of the appearances.

But, I agree with you that it is too early to declare this as a miss, especially since we haven't seen all the info on it, and Tacoma hasn't even been revealed yet.

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I sort of agree with you and OP. This is an enthusiast forum, so of course we are all hyped up on the Raptor because it is the "best" version of the Ranger. With that said, I wouldn't consider any of the lower trims, as I am not a fan of the appearances.
I also agree with you here. The non-raptor frontend is my least favorite across the market, except for maybe the frontier.

That being said it has grown on me since the initial leaks we saw. And i'm confident the aftermarket will give us options for those who want a more aggressive grille.

I can deal with the front-end being less than ideal if the actual payload/towing/mpg numbers are good and the interior beats the other options.

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
I also agree with you here. The non-raptor frontend is my least favorite across the market, except for maybe the frontier.

That being said it has grown on me since the initial leaks we saw. And i'm confident the aftermarket will give us options for those who want a more aggressive grille.

I can deal with the front-end being less than ideal if the actual payload/towing/mpg numbers are good and the interior beats the other options.
I love the Raptor, but it’s not even on my radar as a possible purchase. I even blocked the Raptor section from coming up on my New Topics page, so I don’t have to filter through so many Raptor posts. I consider it a completely separate and different vehicle from the regular Ranger.

I agree the front end of the Ranger isn’t the toughest-looking out there, but it can look alright. I don’t mind this one, which I guess is the Sport trim? I dig these wheels, too…

Ford Ranger Ford Missed The Boat IMG_0725

Gator21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 & Wrangler
I'm excited about the Ranger and still plan to purchase one--pending price. And no, I have zero desire for the Raptor.

The reveal was overall a let down as far as I think Ford left a lot on the table. My past Ford experience is with the F150, and I personally can't recall them releasing a brand new F150 missing many options you would expect to see in a vehicle lineup. So while yes, I expect Ford to incrementally roll out additional features and options, that doesn't help the person looking to buy now. To agree with points others have made, I think this was done intentionally since the Ranger shares the same plant as the Bronco, and they can't make those fast enough for the demand. Thus, Ford has no real incentive to come guns-a-blazing and generating a lot of Ranger demand that would pressure the plant further. It's a win to them to roll it out incrementally, incentivize perhaps people buying now and then trading in their truck on another new one in a couple years with the features they wanted in the first place. I keep vehicles for awhile, so that's not an advantageous strategy for me but it might be for Ford in this instance.

Pros from the Reveal:
  • Fold flat rear seats--I am a huge fan and advocate for a fully flat floor, but I knew based on the ROW Ranger that that wasn't happening. The fold flat rear seats are the second best thing, and it was a happy surprise to me.
  • Standard grill--The grill I prefer is standard on both the XLT and the Lariat. That gives me an options as I'm not forced into one or the other based on grill choice.
  • 2.7 engine--This was the engine I was hoping for. Little sad it's late availability but hey it's there as an option so I'm stoked.
  • 360 degree cameras--Helpful feature when offroading
  • 360 outside lighting--This is going to be great
  • Power in the bed--Pretty cool, even though honestly I probably won't use it much.

Cons from the Reveal:
  • 18 gallon tank--That is one of my absolute biggest gripes about my Wrangler having that size tank, and something I absolutely loved in my F150 was its 36 gallon tank. It makes road trips so much better, and it is a godsend when hurricanes hit as well.
  • No rear air--I live in Florida. AC is very important for everyone's comfort from passengers to my dog.
  • No AC seats--Again, live in Florida here. This is going to make me think long and hard about going for black leather seats or black cloth seats which ultimately hamstrings me to either the XLT or Lariat. I had AC seats in my F150 and it was awesome.
  • No grab handles for back passengers--I'm used to jumping in trucks/Wranglers, but not all my passengers are and a grab handle would help them a lot.
  • 4A--Not something I have to have, but when I roadtrip up north into the land of snow/ice, I'd appreciate it.
  • No pricing yet--I realize this is coming, but it was very deflating that pricing was not released with the reveal except for very base model and the Raptor.
In the end, none of the cons will keep me from ultimately buying a Ranger as long as pricing is in line with my expectations. It's just disappointing that I can't even have these as options. Ford offering them a year or two or three down the line doesn't help me because I keep my vehicles for awhile. Overall I'm still excited about the truck and eagerly awaiting the build and price tool being up.

Sponsored

CharlieFoor1

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Occupation
Geographic Information Systems
I think this web site reflects the nature of society right now. There’s a lot negativity going round everywhere these days. I for one am not buying into it. I’ve been a Ranger fan since the 90s. Had one of my favorite vehicle’s of all time. A V6 Ranger 4x4 with oversized wheels and tires (before they were cool) LOL!! I’m really looking forward to Rangers future. Still debating on my next Ranger…. Either a new 22 Roush Ranger or a 24 FX4, if nothing else materializes as new model options. But either way, I’ll be downright blessed to have either one….. Have a great weekend Everybody!! Peace.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I know we're all Ford & Ranger fans here, but the context and content of the threads on this page reveal an underlying truth.

The threads and posts are all either about things Ford screwed up on, such as small fuel tank, lack of rear air, no long bed option, no SuperCab option, no Tremor, no ventilated seats, etc... or threads about the Raptor.

Virtually nobody is excited about the non-Raptor 2024 Ranger. There are several times more posts about people switching to GM, Toyota, or Nissan because of the poor Ranger options/design than there are people saying they're ordering a non-Raptor Ranger.

Ford missed the boat on the 2024 Ford Ranger. It is totally underwhelming.

I'm not impressed, Ford.
First, it's the nature of the internet. But, there are actual pictures of the new 6G supercab in the wild, so I wouldn't put much faith in the speculation based on reviews a few days after initial release.

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
Going need some final pricing but yea
no air vents in the higest trim you can get how does that happen?
No tremor on launch? Is ford trying get more people buy raptors? Is ford going produce hefty amount of raptors?

Cavemold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022 Eco 2.0
I love the Raptor, but it’s not even on my radar as a possible purchase. I even blocked the Raptor section from coming up on my New Topics page, so I don’t have to filter through so many Raptor posts. I consider it a completely separate and different vehicle from the regular Ranger.

I agree the front end of the Ranger isn’t the toughest-looking out there, but it can look alright. I don’t mind this one, which I guess is the Sport trim? I dig these wheels, too…

IMG_0725.jpeg
i like this one the most. In red or black please.

Robo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5

IMG_0725.jpeg
I really like this one too. This photo is from the Ford web site and says it's the FX4 package. I need a second vehicle in a bad way, so if the Tremor is not announced/released in the next 3ish months, I will be more than happy to drive one of these!