• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

Make sure you check underneath

cboggs

First Name
Curtiss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ranger
I hope this all gets resolved before my build date. And others get this address
Me too. I may just clean it up myself before I get it undercoated.
Sponsored

T-Rev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2023 Toyota GR86
The drive and axle shafts are hardened alloy and surface rust is normal...perhaps not for a brand-new vehicle but going to happen anyway and not a concern IMO. The only item that looked concerning is the rusted bolts. Those will be a PITA at some point and the level of rust already is concerning.

HighDesertRanger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Sport
Occupation
Sales Manager
There is easily 6-10 months of rust on these parts. And the rest of the truck is so clean you can eat off of it. Logic says that the drive shaft was installed after those parts alone sat outside.

C44634C0-7DEE-490A-B08E-0F26FD96CD9D.jpeg
That's pretty solid logic. The drive shaft has WAY more rust than the rest of the truck. It looks like those parts were sitting out in the weather for months and were just installed instead of being cleaned or sandblasted first. Hopefully this was just on one batch and Ford will remedy this in future builds. It probably won't cause any problems long term but it is definitely surprising this made it past quality control with no one noticing.

OP
OP

Danner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat 2012 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
I am at my dealer now. Will let you all know what will be done.
Dealer said ford denied rust claim. I then ask service man to get the salt off that I couldn’t. He said for me to take it to the car wash and for me to pay to have the under carriage washed. I didn’t get the salt on it and why should I pay to get it off. I left and went to waiting area about 5 minutes later service man came said he sprayed it with hose pipe. I didn’t even look at it I just left. My wife said it was time to get out of there.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
I really don't think it's that big of an issue. I live in PA and they salt the crap out of the roads. My Taco is 12 years old and it's still fine. Going to take a lot more than that to cause damage IMO

Sponsored

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Engineer
I really don't think it's that big of an issue. I live in PA and they salt the crap out of the roads. My Taco is 12 years old and it's still fine. Going to take a lot more than that to cause damage IMO
Exactly. I live in the Salt City and, to me, that is expected and not surprising to see after a short time in the winter here. Many times I've left for business trips when the road was snow covered and left my car in the airport parking garage for a week. My brake rotors looked much worse than that when I returned. Any untreated metal takes a beating in the weather here. That's the main reason I intend to treat my RR with Woolwax when I get it.

Whoacz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
Generally agree. This falls in disappointment category for me. Ford should/could easily coat some portion of these driveshafts and use bolts that don’t corrode. I’m rust phobic, so I’ll take the time to do what Ford didn’t by taking care of corrosion and coating.

TVRangerSTX

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab XLT; 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible; Honda 500XL
Occupation
Bethlehem Steel/Self-Employed Metallurgist
Woah, I just found the solution to the rust problem. Ford has provided a self lubricating undercarriage system in the guise of a slit cv boot! I have an appointment with service next week to check it out :clap:
This, along with notifying them of the rusty drive shafts, my Thailand Paraller 235 80 R196 spare (never heard of them), and my Android Auto which will not connet to my Samsung S21. Regarding the spare, there is a slight difference (1%) in the 16" @ 80 and 17" at 70 aspect ratio. More revolutions per mile. I'm sure they will say it is insignificant, and tho I hope to never use the spare and don't rotate 5 tires, it sort of pisses me off.
But I did drive the truck about 70 miles yesterday (in the rain :crying:) and love it. Engine noise much less than my 2019, and stereo for some reason sounds much better! The big screen is hard to figure out as well. Maybe that's just bc I can't connect AA.
Ford Ranger Make sure you check underneath 1712178379883-pk

OP
OP

Danner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Generally agree. This falls in disappointment category for me. Ford should/could easily coat some portion of these driveshafts and use bolts that don’t corrode. I’m rust phobic, so I’ll take the time to do what Ford didn’t by taking care of corrosion and coating.
It is a disappointment but it a very good truck.

OP
OP

Danner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Exactly. I live in the Salt City and, to me, that is expected and not surprising to see after a short time in the winter here. Many times I've left for business trips when the road was snow covered and left my car in the airport parking garage for a week. My brake rotors looked much worse than that when I returned. Any untreated metal takes a beating in the weather here. That's the main reason I intend to treat my RR with Woolwax when I get it.
Could I put wool wax on the rust that on my drive shaft. How much would it take.

Sponsored

Rda2w

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2019 BMW X3 M40i
Occupation
Engineer
Yes, I just don’t know how well it will stay on a spinning driveshaft since it doesn’t dry. But it can’t hurt. For a small area I’d probably use Surface Shield instead since I can buy that locally in an aerosol can. One can should do it. I just did the axle on my snowmobile trailer and only used ½ can.

DMC

First Name
DMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang convertible
Yes. Agreed my salt covered brother! Ohio is bad with the salt too. I am sure it will be alight. That won't stop me from crawling under there and painting or coating with something though... LOL
These are pics I just snapped of my 2009 (15 year old) 132K miles daily driver. Every part under there is original. AND, it doesn't get washed very much.. in fact, you can still see some salt clinging on there that the recent rain has not yet washed off! It is just shocking to see that on a brand new vehicle. (tried to get the drive shafts in the pics)
Ford Ranger Make sure you check underneath thumbnail_image0

Ford Ranger Make sure you check underneath thumbnail_image1

OP
OP

Danner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, I just don’t know how well it will stay on a spinning driveshaft since it doesn’t dry. But it can’t hurt. For a small area I’d probably use Surface Shield instead since I can buy that locally in an aerosol can. One can should do it. I just did the axle on my snowmobile trailer and only used ½ can.

OP
OP

Danner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I will look into Surface Shield.Thanks

OP
OP

Danner

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes. Agreed my salt covered brother! Ohio is bad with the salt too. I am sure it will be alight. That won't stop me from crawling under there and painting or coating with something though... LOL
These are pics I just snapped of my 2009 (15 year old) 132K miles daily driver. Every part under there is original. AND, it doesn't get washed very much.. in fact, you can still see some salt clinging on there that the recent rain has not yet washed off! It is just shocking to see that on a brand new vehicle. (tried to get the drive shafts in the pics)
thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image1.jpg
That does look pretty good to be