• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
no links. Too many buried posts and scrambled threads after 2 + years of posts there. Yes, it is specific to battery degradation, but ability to run the short commutes without any ICE intervention at all seems to be the whole purpose of buying the hybrid in the 1st place for many people.
Sponsored

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
no links. Too many buried posts and scrambled threads after 2 + years of posts there. Yes, it is specific to battery degradation, but ability to run the short commutes without any ICE intervention at all seems to be the whole purpose of buying the hybrid in the 1st place for many people.
I don't think Fords hybrids are designed that way unless you are talking plug-in hybrid. I think on the F150 you can move around the parking lot, but that's about it.

Chris D Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 and Edge
Occupation
Network Operations Manager
So either there is no real surprise or Ford has done a really good job of keeping things secret. I'm hoping they are good secret keepers.

Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT || 2023 Escape PHEV
Thank you for the education on PHEV variants on existing vehicles. I don't follow these developments closely. What is the additional price premium above regular hybrid versions of the same vehicles? Maybe we can extrapolate and predict what that would add to a compact or mid-size truck for discussion.
From the F-150 Build and Price tool I see that the F-150 Lariat with the 3.5 Ecoboost is a $1540 upgrade from the standard 2.7 Ecoboost. The f-150 Lariat with the 3.5 Powerboost (i.e. the hybrid) is a $3300 upgrade from the standard 2.7 Ecoboost. So, apples to apples, it looks like the Powerboost costs you $1760 more.

But, the Powerboost includes the 2.4 kW Pro Power Onboard which is a great feature. For an additional $750 you can upgrade to the 7.2 kW Pro Power Onboard which is an absolute killer feature. That can power your house during an electrical outage. Given that the Powerboost includes the 2.4 kW Pro Power Onboard the premium for the Powerboost seems like a good value to me.

A Ranger PHEV with a similar Pro Power Onboard feature will be fantastic. Sign me up.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think Fords hybrids are designed that way unless you are talking plug-in hybrid. I think on the F150 you can move around the parking lot, but that's about it.
This is correct. To drive more than a mile or so without ICE you need a PHEV. In my 2015 Fusion hybrid under ideal conditions I can maybe go 1.5 miles before the ICE kicks back in. But, it gets fantastic MPG which is the point of a conventional hybrid. The F-150 hybrid's MPG is impressive in city driving as is the case with most all hybrids. The F-150 hybrids highway mileage is only 1 MPG better than the ICE equivalent.

By the way, my Fusion hybrid has over 100,000 miles on it and I have not noticed any significant battery degradation. It still gets similar MPGs as when it was new.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
I won't pretend to speak for "many people" but for me, the whole purpose is to use the battery when you can and (most importantly) have an ICE as a backup for when the battery won't work either due to range or cold, or whatever. It is a redundant system. If you ONLY had a battery, extreme cold is a problem (but they are getting better at dealing with that too). But a PHEV really is the best of both worlds, IMO.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
This is correct. To drive more than a mile or so without ICE you need a PHEV. In my 2015 Fusion hybrid under ideal conditions I can maybe go 1.5 miles before the ICE kicks back in. But, it gets fantastic MPG which is the point of a conventional hybrid. The F-150 hybrid's MPG is impressive in city driving as is the case with most all hybrids. The F-150 hybrids highway mileage is only 1 MPG better than the ICE equivalent.

By the way, my Fusion hybrid has over 100,000 miles on it and I have not noticed any significant battery degradation. It still gets similar MPGs as when it was new.
Does your Fusion hybrid have a separate Hi Voltage battery to run the electric motor and power the car without ICE engine on? I've seen plenty of screenshots of Maverick Hybrid dashboards showing "Electric miles" traveled separately from the overall MPG. There is also a separate High Voltage battery strictly for running the electric motor. My understanding is the "electric" range of the Maverick is somewhere around 40 miles? There is a regeneration effect when letting off the "gas" that helps replenish the Hi Voltage battery. I don't own 1, but my understanding is they don't need the ICE motor running to get under way at all- just to run electricals like AC when the vehicle is sitting still and to charge high voltage battery if it gets below a certain threshold. People have talked about a tank of gas lasting 1 month or more because their commutes are nearly 100% accomplished in "electric" mode only.

Sounds like we're not talking about the same thing here?

Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Does your Fusion hybrid have a separate Hi Voltage battery to run the electric motor and power the car without ICE engine on? I've seen plenty of screenshots of Maverick Hybrid dashboards showing "Electric miles" traveled separately from the overall MPG. There is also a separate High Voltage battery strictly for running the electric motor. My understanding is the "electric" range of the Maverick is somewhere around 40 miles? There is a regeneration effect when letting off the "gas" that helps replenish the Hi Voltage battery. I don't own 1, but my understanding is they don't need the ICE motor running to get under way at all- just to run electricals like AC when the vehicle is sitting still and to charge high voltage battery if it gets below a certain threshold. People have talked about a tank of gas lasting 1 month or more because their commutes are nearly 100% accomplished in "electric" mode only.

I'm pretty sure the Maverick is like our C-Max hybrid. It can start moving on just electric power but it won't go too far until the ICE kicks in. There is a display on the dash talking about "Electric miles" - but the ICE is running almost all of the time. The electric motor "assists" the gas motor, and yes, when you brake or coast downhills, it does use regenerative braking to help recharge the battery.

Here is a thread with info that talks about it:
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...d-maverick-have-battery-only-range-mode.1448/

If it had an "electric only" mode, it would be considered a PHEV I believe.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
My understanding is the "electric" range of the Maverick is somewhere around 40 miles?
You seem to be confusing MPG numbers with range? The hybrid Mavericks seem to routinely achieve around 40 MPG. Its not possible to get 40 miles of range from the small battery used in a standard hybrid.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes, my Fusion hybrid has a small 1.4 kW high voltage battery (HVB) that is packaged in the trunk area and it cannot be plugged in. Yes, it can power the car for short distances with the ICE not running. But like I said earlier, 1.5 miles would be tops under ideal circumstances. The purpose of the HVB in a non-PHEV hybrid (a.k.a. conventional hybrid) is to assist the Atkinson cycle ICE. This includes short distances of electric only while the ICE is shutoff which commonly happens when traveling on flat roads at moderate speeds (or going down hill). The other important role the HVB plays is to recapture energy (converts kinetic energy to chemical energy in the HVB) when braking or going down hill. This is referred to as regenerative braking and this plays a big role in the great MPG that conventional hybrids get in city driving.

A common misconception about conventional hybrids is that they are partially fueled by electricity. This is not true as these cars are 100% fueled by gasoline. For example, when your hybrid goes up a hill it is powered by gasoline, but when it goes down that hill some of that gasoline energy expended to get up the hill is recaptured going down that hill and it is stored in the HVB. Similary, when you accelerate up to 40 MPH you use gasoline to do that, but when you apply the brakes for the red light you recapture some of that energy as you decelerate and it is stored in the HVB. This is why hybrids are so efficient.

A PHEV operates the same as the convention hybrid described above with a couple of important differences. First, it has a battery that is typically about 10 times bigger than a conventional hybrid. This is what allows it to travel 20-40 miles (typically) on electric power alone. The second big difference is that a PHEV can be plugged in (hence: Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle). This means that a PHEV is a "dual fuel" vehicle. It is powered by gasoline and/or electricity from the grid. After you travel that 20-40 miles on battery alone (i.e. grid power) then the ICE takes over and now the PHEV operates exactly like a conventional hybrid.

The Maverick is a conventional hybrid (a PHEV version does not currently exist). This means that no Maverick hybrid can do a commute on battery alone unless the owners commute is extremely short (think football field length). No Maverick has a battery range of 40 miles. I think what Maverick hybrid owners might be posting is how many miles per tank of gasoline were traveled on battery alone (i.e. miles with the ICE turned off). But remember, those 40 battery miles were obtained 100% by burning gasoline as described above.

JustPassingBy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Occupation
Retired
But, the Powerboost includes the 2.4 kW Pro Power Onboard which is a great feature. For an additional $750 you can upgrade to the 7.2 kW Pro Power Onboard which is an absolute killer feature. That can power your house during an electrical outage. Given that the Powerboost includes the 2.4 kW Pro Power Onboard the premium for the Powerboost seems like a good value to me.

A Ranger PHEV with a similar Pro Power Onboard feature will be fantastic. Sign me up.
I agree. I'm looking at medium trucks as a platform for light overlanding/touring. Pro power would allow me to avoid carrying propane/diesel for cooking/heating in the shoulder seasons and I could go full on glamping with the power generation available. Hopefully the hybrid would also provide greater range for touring. Then at home I have the backup power source for the infrequent loss of power to the house.

While an ordinary hybrid with Pro Power would be an option, I'm hoping a PHEV will make sense. The only issue I see is if Ford don't support four wheel drive with an electric power train, i.e. 2x drive only like the Maverick.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The only issue I see is if Ford don't support four wheel drive with an electric power train, i.e. 2x drive only like the Maverick.
I don't think you need to worry. I'm sure a Ranger PHEV will have the same hybrid design (electric motor encapsulated inside the 10-speed automatic transmission) as the F-150 Powerboost and the Explorer hybrid. The output shaft of this transmission goes right into the standard transfer case. This is part of the beauty of Ford's Powerboost hybrid design. Ford often refers to this as their rear-wheel drive hybrid system.

The Maverick's hybrid design is the same as the Ford Escape hybrid. It is a radically different design utilizing an eCVT transmission and while it is an elegant and efficent system it is not robust enough for heavy duty towing, hauling, or off roading. Ford often refers to this as their front-wheel drive hybrid system.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.