• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

FordDawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Occupation
Work
So cool! Watching on my phone so can't tell for sure but looks like you are rocking a Raptor shirt. Did the truck come with any swag?

81stfacp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS
Occupation
Retired
Thank you for sharing. Love the sound.

Sponsored

Chassis N2531

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Interested in what the engine break in procedure is.

Critical Habitat

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, ordered '24 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
This is all the manual says about this. In the past I've been told to vary speeds (don't just set cruise and drive for hours at the same speed) for the initial break-in period. You can also ask the dealer to let you meet the service manager upon delivery and ask him/her.
Others might have more suggestions.
Ford Ranger Video of my 2024 Ranger Raptor arrival, delivery and walk around Picture1

Chassis N2531

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
This is all the manual says about this. In the past I've been told to vary speeds (don't just set cruise and drive for hours at the same speed) for the initial break-in period. You can also ask the dealer to let you meet the service manager upon delivery and ask him/her.
Others might have more suggestions.
Picture1.png
Pretty generic. I've had the good fortune of breaking a few new high performance motors. They all had their specific nuances but one constant has always been to vary the speed/gears early on and not to lug the motor. No towing under 1k miles is pretty standard across the Big 3 with trucks.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
Don't lug the motor, but make it pull through the mid-upper RPM range. The single biggest determinant about using oil later is seating the rings during break-in. The whole way home, mine will live between 2500-5000 RPM, medium pull to 5k, easing back down to 2-2.5k for a bit, then another medium pull to 5K, then back down again and again, over and over. Then, when I get home, it will get an oil change to conventional, and I'll drive similarly (but not all the time) for another 800 miles, then another oil change back to synthetic.

It's probably not as crucial to this engine as it was to my GT350, but most of the people I read on those forums with all the oil consumption issues in that car over the years went through the factory recommended break-in procedure. Mine saw 2.5k - 6k for the 100 mile trip home, then the conventional oil, and back to synthetic. Uses maybe half a quart in 5000 miles. Usually less.

Chassis N2531

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500
Don't lug the motor, but make it pull through the mid-upper RPM range. The single biggest determinant about using oil later is seating the rings during break-in. The whole way home, mine will live between 2500-5000 RPM, medium pull to 5k, easing back down to 2-2.5k for a bit, then another medium pull to 5K, then back down again and again, over and over. Then, when I get home, it will get an oil change to conventional, and I'll drive similarly (but not all the time) for another 800 miles, then another oil change back to synthetic.

It's probably not as crucial to this engine as it was to my GT350, but most of the people I read on those forums with all the oil consumption issues in that car over the years went through the factory recommended break-in procedure. Mine saw 2.5k - 6k for the 100 mile trip home, then the conventional oil, and back to synthetic. Uses maybe half a quart in 5000 miles. Usually less.
Ya the Voodoo is a finicky motor. I did the same thing with my 350R with the exception of changing the oil to conventional. Who makes 5w50 conventional? Anyway I changed it at 1k for the R and 1100 for the 500. The R used less than 1/2 a qt between 4k mile oil changes. Oil usage isn't an issue with the 500's. I haven't heard whether oil usage is an issue with the 3.0 twin turbo. We'll know soon enough as more get into the wild.

Sponsored

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
Ran 5W-20 conventional. Motor was new, so plenty of oil pressure. Now I run Mobil1 0W-40. 36,000 problem-free miles.

Yeah, the 3.0 probably doesn't need quite that level of detail on break-in since it doesn't have low tension rings and race pistons. But, I'll probably stick to that anyway, just because it's what I've always done, and it's always worked well.

LFRR13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline

I'll have a 1,300mile trip back home once I pick mine up (MI to NY)...I'm guessing you would recommend similar RPM procedure at various points throughout the drive, followed by an oil change once I get home?

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ranger
I would, yes. Ideally, a quick oil change (within 100 miles) is best to ensure removal of the assembly lube, metallic particles from initial valvetrain break-in, and any other trash that can get in a motor during assembly (small pieces of silicone, paper gasket material, etc.). However, the filter should protect you from most of that. Definitely change your oil and filter when you get home, though.

God knows that 99% of vehicles don't get this kind of love during the break-in, and most of them turn out just fine. I'm just particular about my stuff, I guess.

OP
OP
Soperfect

Soperfect

First Name
Kristi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Occupation
Business owner
So cool! Watching on my phone so can't tell for sure but looks like you are rocking a Raptor shirt. Did the truck come with any swag?
Sorry for the delay!! Yes it is a Raptor shirt, good eye! No it did not come with, I actually ordered the shirt days ahead and it arrived literally an hour before I went to the dealer to pick it up. It was meant to be 😎

Xyotafella

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Tacoma Off Road
Occupation
Machinist
Not sure how true it is but my dealer told me they break the engine in at the factory and do an oil change there before we ever get it. So have it and get on it all ya want 🤷🏼‍♂️
Sponsored