Sponsored

2027 Colorado/Canyon gets power upgrade

CaptAngry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2022
Threads
13
Messages
433
Reaction score
704
Location
Denver, CO
Vehicle(s)
2026 RRaptor
Occupation
Space Engineer
I saw on TFL that the new 2027 Canyon (and I assume Colorado) get some engine upgrades including different turbo, injectors, and pistons to pump the 2.7L up to 350hp and 455lb.ft

Designated the L4B



I was a bit annoyed that Roman said the AT4X/ZR2 and the Rubicon Gladiator were the only midsize trucks with F/R lockers… TFL HAS OWNED A RANGER RAPTOR!
Sponsored

 

Lion77

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2025
Threads
37
Messages
1,091
Reaction score
1,656
Location
United States
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So, they are taking an already very high strung 2.7L 4 cylinder and pushing it even harder to try and compete against Ford's 2.7L and 3.0L V6's that use CGI blocks built like diesels? I recall a video where they talked about how hard it was to manage the heat in the existing 2.7L Turbo Max....I have a feeling the GM 2.7L's aren't going to hold up, maybe for typical uses, but for more frequent towing, off-roading etc. I forsee issues.

I get why, GM's engine production range doesn't have anything really equivalent to Ford's V6's. They have V8's and Turbo 4's, but not much in between. So, their only solution is to push more from smaller engines which can work to a point, but there is that pesky "diminishing returns" problem!

I suspect this is response to the 2.7L Ranger's beating the pants off in towing compared to the Turbo Max's. Even with the same peak HP, the 2.7L likely has much less knock sensitivity, so it can maintain closer to peak HP and it likely has a much broader torque curve than the 2.7L 4 pot, which is why it's so quick compared to the Turbo Max despite both having similar HP and torque.

AREA UNDER THE CURVE! I'm also highly skeptical as to how frequently the 2.7L can deliver the additional power under real world conditions, we'll see, but I suspect much of the added power is not practically usable, hence why the existing 2.7L Turbo Max typically gets reviewed as "sluggish" even despite its ratings. But who knows, maybe the figured out a way to reduce knock sensitivity?
 
Last edited:

purdyd

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 28, 2025
Threads
32
Messages
1,066
Reaction score
1,494
Location
california
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger Lariat
Competition is good. I’m curious if the ranger in 27 will go to the 3.0l engine like the f150.

and I suppose ford could elect to increase the HP as a response.
 

Sponsored

superj

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Feb 8, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
4,006
Reaction score
3,873
Location
Corpus christi texas
Vehicle(s)
2024 ford ranger, 2019 wrangler, 2018 mazda3
Occupation
Retired
I also want Gas mileage. Thats why I love my ranger and won't trade out to the 2.0t hybrid jeep my wife and kids have. Thr jeep truck inly comes with the terrible 3.6 v6 and that truck is ugly as a Tesla truck and gets terrible gas mileage.

Those hybrid wranglers are awesome for Gas mileage. Not the 4xe wranglers, the e-torq 2.0t ones. If those were in a truck when I was looking, I probably would have gotten that instead of the new ranger just because I already know the jeep platform so well. But I am very happy with my ranger and won't trade it out, even though the wife and both kids keep on me to do it
 

Intercontinental_Ranger

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2025
Threads
7
Messages
182
Reaction score
398
Location
Cambridge
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Crisis Cowboy
F HP, I want MPG.
Toyota blew it by not going for higher MPG with hybrid trucks.

40 MPG in a Maverick made it special. 0-60 was never the reason people bought hybrids.

Give me a mid-size truck with 35 MPG and I'll be fine with a 0-60 time under 10 seconds.
Amen! If they won’t do that they should at least give us the option for a bigger stock fuel tank
 

stemplar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2023
Threads
19
Messages
806
Reaction score
1,169
Location
Pennsylvania
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Lariat 2.7
Competition is good. I’m curious if the ranger in 27 will go to the 3.0l engine like the f150.

and I suppose ford could elect to increase the HP as a response.
I personally think the 2.7, with its ground-up design focus of being durable and robust, is a better fit for truck use. I’d imagine that 350hp and 455ft/lb torque gives gm the bragging rights, but after towing 6,000 over steep hilly terrain with my 2.7 I can very honestly say that I couldn’t care less. My 2.7 wasn’t working hard, it wasn’t loud, rpm’s were modest on the uphills, and engine braking controlled speeds on the downhills. All that leaves me wanting is durability and reliability, and for those I’ll take ford’s 2.7 and its 10+ year track record over gm’s high-strung 4-banger all day long.
 

cc1999

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2024
Threads
51
Messages
2,344
Reaction score
3,141
Location
Kansas
Vehicle(s)
2025 & 2024 Ranger Raptors
Interesting, I still think GM would be better off to offer something besides just that 4 banger in the Colorado.

I know the F150 and now it seems the Bronco has dropped the 2.7 v6 and replaced it with the 3.0L for 2027.

That recent announced Bronco change has me really curious as to rather the Ranger for 2027 is going to do the same.
 

Sponsored

HighDesertRanger

Well-Known Member
First Name
Matt
Joined
Jul 2, 2023
Threads
0
Messages
970
Reaction score
1,166
Location
Oklahoma
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion 2.7
Occupation
Sales Manager
Interesting, I still think GM would be better off to offer something besides just that 4 banger in the Colorado.

I know the F150 and now it seems the Bronco has dropped the 2.7 v6 and replaced it with the 3.0L for 2027.

That recent announced Bronco change has me really curious as to rather the Ranger for 2027 is going to do the same.
I hadn't heard the Bronco announcement. Interesting 🤔
 

emjay24l

Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
22
Reaction score
38
Location
SW-VA
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX-4
AREA UNDER THE CURVE! I'm also highly skeptical as to how frequently the 2.7L can deliver the additional power under real world conditions, we'll see, but I suspect much of the added power is not practically usable, hence why the existing 2.7L Turbo Max typically gets reviewed as "sluggish" even despite its ratings. But who knows, maybe the figured out a way to reduce knock sensitivity?
I agree. This engine has an unconventional way of delivering power. Also, having such a wide RPM span between peak torque and peak hp seems like it would create issues in real world use cases. Plus, 27 psi of boost at low RPM levels seems to be problematic to me. Just comparing the performance of Ford's 2.7L V6 to GMs 2.7L four cylinder tells me that going with GM's engine is not something I would like.
 
Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptAngry

CaptAngry

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2022
Threads
13
Messages
433
Reaction score
704
Location
Denver, CO
Vehicle(s)
2026 RRaptor
Occupation
Space Engineer
I had an AT4X for 2 years with the original L3B engine. While it has nothing on the 3.0L in the Raptor, it was a potent little engine. It drove and sounded like a small diesel (minus the rattle... but all the turbo woosh). I have never driven a Ranger with the 2.7L or the 2.3L
 

ColeTrainsRR

Well-Known Member
First Name
Cole
Joined
Apr 14, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
259
Reaction score
268
Location
Minnesota
Vehicle(s)
'25 Ranger Raptor(toy), '22 Bronco Badlands(Traded In), 2013 Regal GS(Daily)
Occupation
E-Tec 3
i seriously almost bought a ZR2 simply for the fact it was about $8k less and had ventilated seats and sunroof. 2 things that the Raptor should have had standard for the price tag. The ford drivetrain is superior, no doubt. But the GM Twins have other things that are excellent too.
 

Stu x 4

Well-Known Member
First Name
Stu
Joined
Jun 21, 2024
Threads
10
Messages
171
Reaction score
250
Location
Colorado
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 2.7L
I personally think the 2.7, with its ground-up design focus of being durable and robust, is a better fit for truck use. I’d imagine that 350hp and 455ft/lb torque gives gm the bragging rights, but after towing 6,000 over steep hilly terrain with my 2.7 I can very honestly say that I couldn’t care less. My 2.7 wasn’t working hard, it wasn’t loud, rpm’s were modest on the uphills, and engine braking controlled speeds on the downhills. All that leaves me wanting is durability and reliability, and for those I’ll take ford’s 2.7 and its 10+ year track record over gm’s high-strung 4-banger all day long.
I'm right beside you. Love the 2.7 in the mountains. Zippy uphill and in sport mode for downhill engine break without riding the breaks. With other modes, tranny wants the highest gear.
Sponsored

 
 







Top