• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I have to stress, these ARE NOT test mules. These trucks have not been test mules since 2020, as the first shots of them you saw back in 2021 were VPs or verification prototypes like this, which were first built in 2020 and first allowed to be publicly viewable in January 2021.

2023-ford-ranger-spied-7-jpg.jpg

nger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-9-jpg.jpg

The only mules built for the P703/N were in P375/N sheetmetal. Like this Ranger Raptor Mule from October 2020 (courtesy of TFL)

2022-ford-ranger-raptor-bronco.jpg

It might be rather pedantic, but I must again highlight there's a stark difference between a mule and prototype with the final tophat and integrated components, which reflect the intended production design(s). It's only by maybe configuration and fit & finish in which they might differ from production Job 1s or Mass Production units, depending on the stage, since interior components can be 3D printed, until they get their final finish later on. M1s are the only notable mules most people see in spy shots, which use the old "tophat" and new underbody.

X0s and X1s are experimental vehicles not yet based on solidly defined production constructs for a given program, but to test future technologies envisioned for a nameplate down the road. You'll see those like 3-5 years before launch and they're pretty unnoticeable compared to M1s.

This seems to be a pattern because journalists write misleading text like this, so everyone ends up thinking they are actually called mules, when prototype is a better universal term for them, regardless of mule or VP or TT/PP build.

Definitely Phil! I'm not sure when you retired, 4P is now called PP (Pilot Production) and Tool Try Out (TTO) is more specifically now Tooling Trials (TT) are what we refer to units like these, built on the line to test assembly ahead of Job 1 or Mass Production 1. Earlier examples of the P703N were built in the pilot plant in Allen Park (going back to 2020), which I'm sure you're quite familiar with Phil. I don't believe we use 1PP and 2PP as descriptors anymore either.

This is the process to my knowledge today. Not sure when it changed from some past processes, but likely before my time and under Alan's tenure I'd figure at latest.

Prior to Tooling Trials, they were doing Launch Readiness and 2-stages of engineering completion, preliminary and final.

Thanks for pointing out how these are most definitely not mules, as the "mule" terminology is not interchangeable with prototype, seeing as test mules are also known as mechanical components test prototypes, when using off the shelf parts or previous generation bodies not representative of the production design approved under several stages prior to Final Data Judgement (FDJ) and verification prototype (VP). At Ford as you recall, we refer to test mules as M1s or even X0s, X1s, etc depending on level of testing purpose, which precede M1 stage.

There are numerous descriptors, but one thing is for certain, once it utilizes production sheet metal and have such high levels of finish, it's definitely not a mule. I keep seeing the constant referring to "mules" in a lot of places regarding spy shots on pre-launch vehicles with the final tophat and it's not correct, since they 99% match what will be built on the line eventually. Those are not a mule of any sort as you know. Thanks again.
Good clarification! Yes it seems almost every journalist (and I use that term lightly) calls them test mules. So ever since the Broncos were tested that's kind of stuck as that's all they ever called them.

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
I have to stress, these ARE NOT test mules. These trucks have not been test mules since 2020, as the first shots of them you saw back in 2021 were VPs or verification prototypes like this, which were first built in 2020 and first allowed to be publicly viewable in January 2021.

2023-ford-ranger-spied-7-jpg.jpg

nger-raptor-testing-with-ford-bronco-warthog-9-jpg.jpg

The only mules built for the P703/N were in P375/N sheetmetal. Like this Ranger Raptor Mule from October 2020 (courtesy of TFL)

2022-ford-ranger-raptor-bronco.jpg

It might be rather pedantic, but I must again highlight there's a stark difference between a mule and prototype with the final tophat and integrated components, which reflect the intended production design(s). It's only by maybe configuration and fit & finish in which they might differ from production Job 1s or Mass Production units, depending on the stage, since interior components can be 3D printed, until they get their final finish later on. M1s are the only notable mules most people see in spy shots, which use the old "tophat" and new underbody.

X0s and X1s are experimental vehicles not yet based on solidly defined production constructs for a given program, but to test future technologies envisioned for a nameplate down the road. You'll see those like 3-5 years before launch and they're pretty unnoticeable compared to M1s.

This seems to be a pattern because journalists write misleading text like this, so everyone ends up thinking they are actually called mules, when prototype is a better universal term for them, regardless of mule or VP or TT/PP build.

Definitely Phil! I'm not sure when you retired, 4P is now called PP (Pilot Production) and Tool Try Out (TTO) is more specifically now Tooling Trials (TT) are what we refer to units like these, built on the line to test assembly ahead of Job 1 or Mass Production 1. Earlier examples of the P703N were built in the pilot plant in Allen Park (going back to 2020), which I'm sure you're quite familiar with Phil. I don't believe we use 1PP and 2PP as descriptors anymore either.

This is the process to my knowledge today. Not sure when it changed from some past processes, but likely before my time and under Alan's tenure I'd figure at latest.

Prior to Tooling Trials, they were doing Launch Readiness and 2-stages of engineering completion, preliminary and final.

Thanks for pointing out how these are most definitely not mules, as the "mule" terminology is not interchangeable with prototype, seeing as test mules are also known as mechanical components test prototypes, when using off the shelf parts or previous generation bodies not representative of the production design approved under several stages prior to Final Data Judgement (FDJ) and verification prototype (VP). At Ford as you recall, we refer to test mules as M1s or even X0s, X1s, etc depending on level of testing purpose, which precede M1 stage.

There are numerous descriptors, but one thing is for certain, once it utilizes production sheet metal and have such high levels of finish, it's definitely not a mule. I keep seeing the constant referring to "mules" in a lot of places regarding spy shots on pre-launch vehicles with the final tophat and it's not correct, since they 99% match what will be built on the line eventually. Those are not a mule of any sort as you know. Thanks again.
So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly using the Maverick.

This spy shot of the Franken-Escape back in 2020 was the Maverick test mule.
Ford Ranger 6th Gen 2024 Ranger Raptor rolling down MAP production line 📸 ford-courier-spy-shots-1-

This spy photo of heavily camouflaged mini-trucks are Maverick prototypes.
Ford Ranger 6th Gen 2024 Ranger Raptor rolling down MAP production line 📸 ford-maverick-spy-photos

Xtreme Thunder

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
About time. Still no official Ford "reveal" though, but I guess, as expected, 99% resemblance to ROW model.

I'm just not sure if I can deal with that vertical oriented screen. I prefer landscape orientation. Looking forward to eventually seeing the next generation Ranger in the flesh.

I'm already building a hierarchy and personal "scoring" sheet of the next generation midsize trucks for my preferences/ comparison.

Sponsored

Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe Z71, Mustang GT
US regulations don't allow that. Brake light has to be visible even with tailgate down. We can't have nice things here.
Not sure about that, as the Gladiator has its 3rd brake light on the tailgate (regardless of hard or soft top), as do some older Dakotas. To each their own regarding the location preference, but the brake light on the tailgate looks 500x more unnatural than on the cab imo.

Reactions: Doc
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
These early build trucks could end up going to the auto journalists for reviews as well.

All Terrain Nation

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Occupation
Media
These early build trucks could end up going to the auto journalists for reviews as well.
There are no scheduled drives for Ranger yet, These are trials for future productions. They fine tune stamping and all computer controlled welding. These will get scrapped after engineering is done with them

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Ranger Raptor (Cactus Gray)
Not sure about that, as the Gladiator has its 3rd brake light on the tailgate (regardless of hard or soft top), as do some older Dakotas. To each their own regarding the location preference, but the brake light on the tailgate looks 500x more unnatural than on the cab imo.
Good point about the Jeeps. There's probably some exception with convertibles. The hardtops can come off as well as the soft tops.

Sponsored

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not true. My Gladiator had the 3rd brake on the tailgate.
I don't know what to tell you. You can read the regulations yourself: https://www.cga.ct.gov/PS97/rpt/olr/htm/97-R-0011.htm

"If a multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck or bus is configured so that the vertical centerline on the rear is located on a section that separates one or two movable body sections, such as doors, instead of on a fixed body panel so that there is not enough space on it to install a single high-mounted lamp, it must have two lamps instead (49 CFR §§ 571.108, S5.1.1.27)."

They must get around it by having the two distinct brake lights on either side.

The tailgate brake lights look way better than the ones mounted near the roof. I don't think Ford would bother changing a feature that would make it consistent with ROW to only make it look worse if it weren't for regulation.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
I was really hoping the main screen was more like the Bronco's where it's horizontal. Not digging the iPad look on all these new vehicles.
I completely agree. Can't stand it. I'm hopeful this is just a design phase that manufactures will soon phase out. At least Ford incorporated the Ranger's screen into the dash, which is somewhat better than a lot of vehicles out there.

I was really hoping they'd include ventilated seats for the US market. These look the same as the ROW seats.
This, and the Ipad screen are a couple reasons why I'm leaning more towards one of the twins.
Waiting until I can see all of them in person though, before I make a final decision

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
I completely agree. Can't stand it. I'm hopeful this is just a design phase that manufactures will soon phase out. At least Ford incorporated the Ranger's screen into the dash, which is somewhat better than a lot of vehicles out there.

This, and the Ipad screen are a couple reasons why I'm leaning more towards one of the twins.
Waiting until I can see all of them in person though, before I make a final decision
This Bronco 10" screen looks so much better. The iPad looking screen I feel are the "new look" as everyone's doing it now and are unfortunately here to stay.

Ford Ranger 6th Gen 2024 Ranger Raptor rolling down MAP production line 📸 1675216827538

sjl136

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Going to the Chicago Auto Show in two weeks wondering what will be there. Really don't like those wheels, never have....but will do a lot to get something with the V-6.
No sign of anything Ranger related on the Chicago Auto Show Media Schedule, so next big show would be New York in April I believe. After that Detroit is in September so sure seems like NYC in April will be the Ranger debut unless they do an online one prior. 2023 Chicago Auto Show Media Preview Schedule

rwolfcastle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm feeling more and more in the minority with that screen. I actually love it. It's like a smaller version of what's in the Lightning. The big screens make it so easy to see maps for navigation as well as camera views off-roading. The GM twins look great too but I think I'd like having the bigger screen.
Sponsored