Sponsored

Dampers in Off Road on the street.

Pic-N-Stick

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 28, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
377
Reaction score
606
Location
Northern Virginia, USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor in Shelter Green Metallic
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Is anyone else running the dampers in off road mode on the street? I have been doing this for the past week and maybe I'm crazy but to me it is the best compromise between normal and sport. Has the softness of normal and the stiffness of sport when you want it.

Typical "normal" around town driving is steering comfort, dampers off road, exhaust sport and traction off. Tire pressures are 34 cold.

Have I lost my mind?
Yeah, I switched over to offroad mode today while on road. I'm thinking the valves closer to neutral (short travel) allow the softer damping of normal mode while those farther from neutral (long travel) are stiffer like sport mode??
Sponsored

 

CodyMac

Well-Known Member
First Name
Cody
Joined
Mar 17, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
60
Reaction score
56
Location
Rockwall, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Data Analyst
I've yet to find an auto-related message board where there's less than a 90% chance that, on any given thread, some kind of hostility breaks out. It's truly fascinating to me lol.

Anyhoo, I'm a fellow button-masher and am always trying different things out. If I'm ever on a particularly bumpy section of road, I'll give Baja a try, but I'm not... whatever.... enough to be able to tell a difference. There's a particularly bad section of pavement about a mile long on the way to my FFL's house. The next time I go, I'm going to install a "bumpy tester" app on my phone and do a few tests, trying to keep as many variables consistent as I can (phone position, speed, etc). If I ever get around to it, I'll update this thread with the results or start a new one.

Worth noting that I probably overinflate my tires for two reasons. One, I try to get the best MPG I can due to the stupid 93 octane required for the FP tune. Second, I'm too lazy to mess with putting more air in my tires once winter rolls around and the dang low-pressure lights come on.

My Raptor Mode settings: Sport shifting, 4A, Sport suspension, Sport steering, Baja exhaust. Again, because my tires are around 40-41 PSI now, trying to make a quick turn to merge into traffic from a stop is pretty difficult in 2H. So if I come up to an intersection and see I'm going to have to make my own opening, I just double-tap, and I'm good to go.

Agreed, the Baja exhaust warning text is maddening, but my weiner remains inferior, so I want her as loud as possible. I also do enjoy the Quiet mode for road trips. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes!
 
OP
OP
jordantii

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
23
Messages
526
Reaction score
502
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
There are some settings I have yet to discern a noticeable differenc. My one and only Raptor mode is quiet exhaust, sport suspension, and comfort steering. But I often experiment with other settings. I don't know that I would notice a differenc with off road suspension mode. Might have to try it. But maybe it will kill me.
Was thinking the same thing! What the heck??
Maybe just having a "moment"? Maybe we simply missunderstood each other. Not sure 🤷‍♂️
 
OP
OP
jordantii

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
23
Messages
526
Reaction score
502
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
I've yet to find an auto-related message board where there's less than a 90% chance that, on any given thread, some kind of hostility breaks out. It's truly fascinating to me lol.

Anyhoo, I'm a fellow button-masher and am always trying different things out. If I'm ever on a particularly bumpy section of road, I'll give Baja a try, but I'm not... whatever.... enough to be able to tell a difference. There's a particularly bad section of pavement about a mile long on the way to my FFL's house. The next time I go, I'm going to install a "bumpy tester" app on my phone and do a few tests, trying to keep as many variables consistent as I can (phone position, speed, etc). If I ever get around to it, I'll update this thread with the results or start a new one.

Worth noting that I probably overinflate my tires for two reasons. One, I try to get the best MPG I can due to the stupid 93 octane required for the FP tune. Second, I'm too lazy to mess with putting more air in my tires once winter rolls around and the dang low-pressure lights come on.

My Raptor Mode settings: Sport shifting, 4A, Sport suspension, Sport steering, Baja exhaust. Again, because my tires are around 40-41 PSI now, trying to make a quick turn to merge into traffic from a stop is pretty difficult in 2H. So if I come up to an intersection and see I'm going to have to make my own opening, I just double-tap, and I'm good to go.

Agreed, the Baja exhaust warning text is maddening, but my weiner remains inferior, so I want her as loud as possible. I also do enjoy the Quiet mode for road trips. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes!
I'm pretty sure the 39psi from the factory is for fuel mileage. I did a 2500 mile road trip with 34 cold and I averaged 20 mpg. What are you getting with 40-41. To me the truck is more planted with lower presures and far better in the rain with more tread on the surface. The drawback is the steering is less direct and soft.

This forum has been really good in regards to hostility. So I found it strange that comment was made. And yes, it is truly fascinating.
 

Sponsored
OP
OP
jordantii

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
23
Messages
526
Reaction score
502
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
Yeah, I switched over to offroad mode today while on road. I'm thinking the valves closer to neutral (short travel) allow the softer damping of normal mode while those farther from neutral (long travel) are stiffer like sport mode??
I think you might be right depending on the surface conditions. Smooth would be what you are saying rough may be different????

I say this becuse last night I took a corner (very smooth) that I usually take at 75ish in sport but with off road there was more body roll. I'm going to try it again tonight if traffic permits.
 

CodyMac

Well-Known Member
First Name
Cody
Joined
Mar 17, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
60
Reaction score
56
Location
Rockwall, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Data Analyst
I'm pretty sure the 39psi from the factory is for fuel mileage. I did a 2500 mile road trip with 34 cold and I averaged 20 mpg. What are you getting with 40-41. To me the truck is more planted with lower presures and far better in the rain with more tread on the surface. The drawback is the steering is less direct and soft.

This forum has been really good in regards to hostility. So I found it strange that comment was made. And yes, it is truly fascinating.
Kind of hard to say. I went hunting (6h away) and the speed limits ranged from 65mph - 85mph. The higher speeds kill things, but consistent segments where I was going 80, I'd get around 21.
 
OP
OP
jordantii

jordantii

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jordan
Joined
Dec 12, 2025
Threads
23
Messages
526
Reaction score
502
Location
Tampa Bay
Website
www.straptacademy.com
Vehicle(s)
2025 RR
Kind of hard to say. I went hunting (6h away) and the speed limits ranged from 65mph - 85mph. The higher speeds kill things, but consistent segments where I was going 80, I'd get around 21.
With out limited MPG delta I would say adding 1mpg is pretty good. Although that's about a savings of 1 gallon of gas per tank. It's funny that we will chase an extra 1-2mpg.
 

Pic-N-Stick

Well-Known Member
First Name
Mike
Joined
Sep 28, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
377
Reaction score
606
Location
Northern Virginia, USA
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor in Shelter Green Metallic
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
I've yet to find an auto-related message board where there's less than a 90% chance that, on any given thread, some kind of hostility breaks out. It's truly fascinating to me lol.

Anyhoo, I'm a fellow button-masher and am always trying different things out. If I'm ever on a particularly bumpy section of road, I'll give Baja a try, but I'm not... whatever.... enough to be able to tell a difference. There's a particularly bad section of pavement about a mile long on the way to my FFL's house. The next time I go, I'm going to install a "bumpy tester" app on my phone and do a few tests, trying to keep as many variables consistent as I can (phone position, speed, etc). If I ever get around to it, I'll update this thread with the results or start a new one.

Worth noting that I probably overinflate my tires for two reasons. One, I try to get the best MPG I can due to the stupid 93 octane required for the FP tune. Second, I'm too lazy to mess with putting more air in my tires once winter rolls around and the dang low-pressure lights come on.

My Raptor Mode settings: Sport shifting, 4A, Sport suspension, Sport steering, Baja exhaust. Again, because my tires are around 40-41 PSI now, trying to make a quick turn to merge into traffic from a stop is pretty difficult in 2H. So if I come up to an intersection and see I'm going to have to make my own opening, I just double-tap, and I'm good to go.

Agreed, the Baja exhaust warning text is maddening, but my weiner remains inferior, so I want her as loud as possible. I also do enjoy the Quiet mode for road trips. I can't believe how much of a difference it makes!
Hey, just a thought. I would think running lower tire pressure in 2wd would be a wash in gas milage but would ride and handle better with increased traction. My truck certainly doesn't like 41psi tires! I don't think the low tire pressure warning comes on until you get below 30 psi pr so. I run mine at 34-35 psi and get no warnings. And if you are worried about the cost of gas, you CAN run 91 octane with the Procal tune.
 

NevadaJim

Member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Dec 29, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
23
Reaction score
46
Location
Nevada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
Is anyone else running the dampers in off road mode on the street? I have been doing this for the past week and maybe I'm crazy but to me it is the best compromise between normal and sport. Has the softness of normal and the stiffness of sport when you want it.

Typical "normal" around town driving is steering comfort, dampers off road, exhaust sport and traction off. Tire pressures are 34 cold.

Have I lost my mind?
 

Sponsored

NevadaJim

Member
First Name
Jim
Joined
Dec 29, 2024
Threads
3
Messages
23
Reaction score
46
Location
Nevada
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Retired
I like your thinking! I’m.going to give it a try.
 

CodyMac

Well-Known Member
First Name
Cody
Joined
Mar 17, 2025
Threads
1
Messages
60
Reaction score
56
Location
Rockwall, TX
Vehicle(s)
2025 Ranger Raptor
Occupation
Data Analyst
Hey, just a thought. I would think running lower tire pressure in 2wd would be a wash in gas milage but would ride and handle better with increased traction. My truck certainly doesn't like 41psi tires! I don't think the low tire pressure warning comes on until you get below 30 psi pr so. I run mine at 34-35 psi and get no warnings. And if you are worried about the cost of gas, you CAN run 91 octane with the Procal tune.
Thanks, didn't know that about the 91. Might give it a try if things don't get squared away.

Mine are at 40 right now in the heat. That seems to be the sweet spot where, if it dips down super low in the winter, they will settle on around 32. I don't run them that high in the winter.
 

Crapblaster

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 27, 2023
Threads
16
Messages
368
Reaction score
355
Location
Texas
Vehicle(s)
2025 F150 Space White Platinum, 2024 HPR Ranger Raptor
The off road use warning is probably due to the exhaust. It is maybe a tad loud for the current regulations.
 

BCRR26

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2026
Threads
2
Messages
18
Reaction score
37
Location
BC Canada
Vehicle(s)
2026 Ranger Raptor
I use off road mode all the time on the street for the exact reason you said, unless Im really trying to have some fun on a windy hiway, then Ill use sport. Off road mode acts like a position sensitve suspension IMO, soft in a neutral position, stiffer with more compression. Sport mode is definitely stiffer when the suspension is neutral.
Sponsored

 
 







Top