• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

STANDARD Ranger vs Colorado (not comparing ZR2 and Raptor)

Scole31

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado Z71
Morning or evening where ever you may be located,

I have a 24 lariat on order and I had been obsessed with the Ranger since it released over seas. Thought this was gonna be my next truck for sure for the next 10 years.

id love to hear your input in your choices for choosing the Ranger (non raptor) instead of the Colorado or canyon. i stepped into the colorado z71 for the first time 2 weeks ago and really liked it. I noticed a few things off the bat. It had ventilated seats (not optioned on Ranger) rear air vents (not optioned on Ranger) and a sunroof (again not optioned on Ranger). Also the interior roof was black, which made the interior feel nicer. The cost for this specific one was 1k cheaper than my lariat I ordered. I enjoyed how it drove. I liked how the the hood felt raised.

would love to hear from you guys on what is making you stay Ranger instead of the Colorado( neglecting brand loyalty)
Sponsored

Wayfaring Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado/Canyon has a manual rear window

Colorado/Canyon has no integrated garage door opener

Colorado/Canyon forces you into the digital headunit to control headlights. Users on forums have already had issues where they could not turn their lights on/off in the digital display.

Colorado/Canyon has bad MPGs (worse than the outgoing colorado/canyon).

GM is looking to axe Android Auto/Carplay for their own "in house" dashboard software in the next few years (very likely it will be bad)

Colorado/Canyon forces you into an OnStar subscription after the free trial expires (3 years i think)

Colorado/Canyon back seat doesn't fold down.

Colorado/Canyon no rain sensing wipers

Canyon/Colorado interior is either cheap looking (colorado) or the colors aren't favorable (canyon at4)

Aside from these personal issues, lurking the forums for these trucks has shown an unusual amount of QA and factory defects. A few months back, an over-the-air update bricked everyones trucks for multiple days. Constant complaints over wind noise at highway speeds. Some people will say that "the forums are where people go to discuss issues so you'll see them more often", but even owners of these vehicles are starting to realize this is not a normal amount of first-model-year "gremlins".

Ventillated seats seem nice, but I've never had them so that's not a deal-breaker for me. I love a sunroof, but a rear-window will accomplish nearly the same thing. Rear air vents aren't much of a concern because I don't plan on having passengers in the back much, other than my dogs. I think they'll be fine. Plus it's very likely the air vents are under the seats, which will work well enough even in the hottest midwest days.

Jab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon | 2024 Ranger Raptor
Colorado/Canyon has a manual rear window

Colorado/Canyon has no integrated garage door opener

Colorado/Canyon forces you into the digital headunit to control headlights. Users on forums have already had issues where they could not turn their lights on/off in the digital display.

Colorado/Canyon has bad MPGs (worse than the outgoing colorado/canyon).

GM is looking to axe Android Auto/Carplay for their own "in house" dashboard software in the next few years (very likely it will be bad)

Colorado/Canyon forces you into an OnStar subscription after the free trial expires (3 years i think)

Colorado/Canyon back seat doesn't fold down.

Colorado/Canyon no rain sensing wipers

Canyon/Colorado interior is either cheap looking (colorado) or the colors aren't favorable (canyon at4)

Aside from these personal issues, lurking the forums for these trucks has shown an unusual amount of QA and factory defects. A few months back, an over-the-air update bricked everyones trucks for multiple days. Constant complaints over wind noise at highway speeds. Some people will say that "the forums are where people go to discuss issues so you'll see them more often", but even owners of these vehicles are starting to realize this is not a normal amount of first-model-year "gremlins".

Ventillated seats seem nice, but I've never had them so that's not a deal-breaker for me. I love a sunroof, but a rear-window will accomplish nearly the same thing. Rear air vents aren't much of a concern because I don't plan on having passengers in the back much, other than my dogs. I think they'll be fine. Plus it's very likely the air vents are under the seats, which will work well enough even in the hottest midwest days.
Also:

No LED tail lights
No V6 option

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired

I have a 24 lariat on order and I had been obsessed with the Ranger since it released over seas. Thought this was gonna be my next truck for sure for the next 10 years.

id love to hear your input in your choices for choosing the Ranger (non raptor) instead of the Colorado or canyon. i stepped into the colorado z71 for the first time 2 weeks ago and really liked it. I noticed a few things off the bat. It had ventilated seats (not optioned on Ranger) rear air vents (not optioned on Ranger) and a sunroof (again not optioned on Ranger). Also the interior roof was black, which made the interior feel nicer. The cost for this specific one was 1k cheaper than my lariat I ordered. I enjoyed how it drove. I liked how the the hood felt raised.

would love to hear from you guys on what is making you stay Ranger instead of the Colorado( neglecting brand loyalty)
I'm not in a big hurry to step up into a mid-size since I received my Maverick last November to hold me over until new Rangers came out. I ONLY want a SCab with 6' bed 2wd configuration. That leaves Ranger whenever they introduce more configurations for us in USA, or Nissan King Cab for me. I live in a small rural town with 1 Ford dealer who has treated me well over the years and the easiest path for me is trade my Maverick back to them when the SCab Ranger is available. Fortunately, the Maverick is holding its value really well and dealer promised they will give me fair market value on a trade for Ranger. Have not lied to me so far :wink: While I wait the Maverick is paid for, gets better MPG than anything else we own, and is super cheap to insure bundled with my Grand Cherokee through Progressive :sunglasses:

Brett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco WildTrack Jeep 392
Occupation
work on Mars

Ok I’ve owned a G5 Ranger lariat it was very nice, I installed a programer for more power for the 2.3 and towing capacity. I traded it for my 2022 Bronco Wildtrak. I’ve sense traded in Bronco and bought a GMC AT4x canyon. My first road trip last weekend was outstanding no issues and ride was very good. I’m still on the fence on trading for Raptor when it shows up next year. By the way Canyon has great power and torque but at a cost of 16.3 mpg on hwy. I added pictures for reference

Ford Ranger STANDARD Ranger vs Colorado (not comparing ZR2 and Raptor) IMG_9490

Ford Ranger STANDARD Ranger vs Colorado (not comparing ZR2 and Raptor) IMG_0198

Ford Ranger STANDARD Ranger vs Colorado (not comparing ZR2 and Raptor) IMG_0163

Sponsored

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
As someone who now owns a Colorado, the person listed the problems is not incorrect, however, I would go as far as to say they are being a bit over-dramatic and attempting to mold peoples imagination a bit to much into the "sky is falling" scenario.

Name me one brand/model where the 1st generation runs didn't have problems.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Just remember, online vehicle forums generally have two types of users; those who want to share and those who have a problem. No one creates an account to let everyone know that everything is working fine. Online forum communities are also generally a small fraction of an entire userbase of a product.

For the record, outside of a few QA fit and finish issues my colorado has been flawless. I will say this as a matter of fact; my 2019 Ranger had MORE issues in this category than my colorado, just to put a little bit of reality into things.

2019 Ford Ranger:

- trash in the exterior paint that had to be fixed
- one inside door jam was not even painted completely (blue primer still visible)
- fenders had to be adjusted to match hood
- doors had to be adjusted to match bottom rocker panel
- transmission shudder at low speeds + cold startup (had to be reset)
- driver side lean (fixed by shims)

On my colorado the only issues I've had are some plastic bits and pieces not staying popped together correctly, but mainly in places you wouldn't pay attention to anyhow. After a while I'll get them warrantied to give Chevrolet a chance to get better spec'd replacement parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scole31

Scole31

First Name
scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Chevy Colorado Z71
As someone who now owns a Colorado, the person listed the problems is not incorrect, however, I would go as far as to say they are being a bit over-dramatic and attempting to mold peoples imagination a bit to much into the "sky is falling" scenario.

Name me one brand/model where the 1st generation runs didn't have problems.

Go ahead, I'll wait.

Just remember, online vehicle forums generally have two types of users; those who want to share and those who have a problem. No one creates an account to let everyone know that everything is working fine. Online forum communities are also generally a small fraction of an entire userbase of a product.

For the record, outside of a few QA fit and finish issues my colorado has been flawless. I will say this as a matter of fact; my 2019 Ranger had MORE issues in this category than my colorado, just to put a little bit of reality into things.

2019 Ford Ranger:

- trash in the exterior paint that had to be fixed
- one inside door jam was not even painted completely (blue primer still visible)
- fenders had to be adjusted to match hood
- doors had to be adjusted to match bottom rocker panel
- transmission shudder at low speeds + cold startup (had to be reset)
- driver side lean (fixed by shims)

On my colorado the only issues I've had are some plastic bits and pieces not staying popped together correctly, but mainly in places you wouldn't pay attention to anyhow. After a while I'll get them warrantied to give Chevrolet a chance to get better spec'd replacement parts.
Awesome thanks for the info. Knew you had a new Colorado from your other posts. Appreciate your input

jdlapointe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Taurus, 1970 Fairlane 500
Occupation
Project Manager
GM still seems to have electrical problems, which have personally plagued me and a friend in the past. That is why I don't go for GM. That and the waxed frames.

tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic technician
Ranger for the power rear slider, 4 foot between wheel tubs in the bed and the interior looks much better.

Reactions: Jab

SGT Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SPEC-R3
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Yea I think the Ranger wins hands downs for better interior, especially ZR2 vs Raptor.
Sponsored