• Welcome to Ranger6G.com everyone!

If you're joining us from Ranger5G, then you may already have an account here! As long as you were registered on Ranger5G as of March 27, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password.

Sponsored

2024 Ford Ranger Elephant In The Room

OP
OP

Latour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Yeah…Possible next year is what I thought. A bit disappointed to say the list. Looks like Toyota just jumped up to my 2024 A list.
Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, 2018 F-150, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I don't see the Tremor coming anytime before the 2025 model year. They will upsell Tremor customers to the Raptor as long as there is demand. Things like a Tremor package will be added in future model years to freshen up the line. It's sort of like they added the Tremor in 2021 and Splash in 2022 to keep interest.

If there is a SuperCab that might make a mid-2024 introduction, but no way are they letting a more affordable off-road focused package pull any high dollar Raptor buyers away. Not yet anyhow. I might be wrong, but I've seen how Ford usually operates for a long time.
Some people here are vastly overestimating the potential market of Raptor buyers IMO. The average Ranger or any midsized truck buyer wants it for versatility and everyday uses NOT related to going over landing or racing Baja, with obvious exceptions of camping trips and recreational activities accessible from some amount of non paved roads. There's consistent data out there something like 95% of trucks in use in the USA NEVER touch dirt at all and like SUVs are used as everyday family vehicles. Farm/Ranch vehicles are the obvious exception, but they usually serve as daily drivers as well as work uses.

$50k and up off road specialized trucks just aren't even considered for the vast majority of buyers. Anyone needing more than a 2WD nicely equipped truck can add packages to fit their needs. I grew up in SoCal through the 1970s and was part of the growth of off roading, retired to a rural area of mostly farm, agriculture, but big focus on outdoor recreation and the evolution of trucks is obvious. Flashy and manufacturer hype may grab attention, but the market is overwhelmingly compromised of non specialized trucks with practical motivation and budgets.

YMMV

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Some people here are vastly overestimating the potential market of Raptor buyers IMO.
I don't think it's possible to overestimate the potential RR market, simply because; regardless of the demand, Ford will always keep the number of RR's, less than demand. They've been doing that with the fullsize since inception, and for over a decade now. The demand for the RR will always be high, simply because there will never be enough.
I agree nobody actually needs a Raptor or RR, but when it comes down to it, Actual use of a vehicle usually has very little to do with what they buy. If it did, the number of 2x4 trucks would outnumber 4x4's 100,000 to 1. To add to that, no really needs power windows, power seats, cruise control...etc.

Personally, I never have and never will use my current Ranger to it's full potential, and don't need any of the options it has.....yet my next truck is still going to have more :p

Last edited:

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I don't think it's possible to overestimate the potential RR market, simply because; regardless of the demand, Ford will always keep the number of RR's, less than demand. They've been doing that with the fullsize since inception, and for over a decade now. The demand for the RR will always be high, simply because there will never be enough.
I agree nobody actually needs a Raptor or RR, but when it comes down to it, Actual use of a vehicle usually has very little to do with what they buy. If it did, the number of 2x4 trucks would outnumber 4x4's 100,000 to 1. To add to that, no really needs power windows, power seats, cruise control...etc.

Personally, I never have and never will use my current Ranger to it's full potential, and don't need any of the options it has.....yet my next truck is still going to have more :p
Notice I didn't say demand, you did. Agreed Ford will limit the numbers available to keep a waiting list unfulfilled. I said potential market. There's only so many people that can afford that price point. It's far less desirable than lesser versions of XL, XLT, and Lariat that drive the bulk of annual steady purchases for mass consumption of daily drivers and that cuts across all Ford F series, not just Ranger. Raptor is a specialty vehicle like a Shelby Mustang and will always be limited.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SCREW STX SE
Occupation
machinist
Some users on the 5G forum speculate that most users here on 6G are really Taco fanboys bashing a product before release. Reading some of the post on 6G, I am inclined to believe that.

Sponsored

Moto26

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '17 F150
Some users on the 5G forum speculate that most users here on 6G are really Taco fanboys bashing a product before release. Reading some of the post on 6G, I am inclined to believe that.
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm a Bronco owner, and after watching the shitshow Ford put together over the last few years, I think a little bashing is not out of line.

I'll be in the market for a midsize truck in the next 3-4 years, so the new Ranger is on my radar, as is the new Tacoma, and a few others. I'm not ruling any of them out.

I'm not a Tacoma fanboy, but I'm not a Ford fanboy either. Ford certainly hasn't done anything lately to secure my loyalty...

Last edited:

ssjx7squall

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
sure seems that way most of the time

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ranger Raptor (Soon)
Love my 2012 Tacoma bought it new and haven’t had any issues with it. I now want the RRaptor if I can get one by end of next year. I just think it’s the best looking truck both the RRaptor and the 150 Raptor. I wish Ford would make all there trucks look like it and have the performance of the raptor as an option.

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
I own a 2022 Tremor and had a 2019 FX4 before it. I don't have huge issues with the new one, but it does seem to be lacking for how long they have been promising this revolutionary new Ranger. It seems like a 5G with a major face-lift, new plastics inside and a slightly wider track. It's fine and I'd buy one since my blood bleeds blue, but it certainly doesn't move the needle that much. The previous 5G model was good and very reliable so I hope the changes don't change that.

telenerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, Subaru Crosstrek
I own a 2022 Tremor and had a 2019 FX4 before it. I don't have huge issues with the new one, but it does seem to be lacking for how long they have been promising this revolutionary new Ranger. It seems like a 5G with a major face-lift, new plastics inside and a slightly wider track. It's fine and I'd buy one since my blood bleeds blue, but it certainly doesn't move the needle that much. The previous 5G model was good and very reliable so I hope the changes don't change that.
Question. Is the tremor package worth the cost over the fx4 since you owned both? It seems the fx4 is the way to go. For instance how is the ride compared off-road vs onroad for the series?

Sponsored

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I went and sat in a 2023 Nissan Frontier SV Crew w/5' bed today to size up. Not the model or options packages I would choose if I bought 1, but damn the standard features list blows away the Ranger and the standard V6 w 310 hp and naturally aspirated has almost same MPG as Ranger 2.3.... and MSRP is $5k less. Seems like an upgrade over my Maverick without the death by a thousand cuts ordering and production delays awaiting with Ford.

Reactions: MJE

DakotaGuy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Question. Is the tremor package worth the cost over the fx4 since you owned both? It seems the fx4 is the way to go. For instance how is the ride compared off-road vs onroad for the series?
As far as the 5G model is concerned... Absolutely. I have no idea how the 6G FX4 will have it's suspension tuned, but my 2019 FX4 floated like a 1976 LTD going down a highway with some heaves in it. It also had excessive nose dive during heavy breaking. It felt top heavy and leaned on curvy roads. I got used to it over time, but I guarantee people that get motion sickness wouldn't have liked it.

The Tremor is firmer, but actually rides smoother. The excessive float is fixed with Fox shocks that control motion much better. The parabolic rear leafs are replaced with a conventional multi-leaf set up. It handles nicely with less body roll in corners and nose dive in breaking. Of course it's better off road as well.

Like I said, I have no idea if the ride issues have been fixed on the 2024 FX4. I would hope they have made changes to the suspension tuning. I understand what Ford was trying to do to make it a smooth ride on the previous FX4, but it didn't really work.

JBTN

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I went and sat in a 2023 Nissan Frontier SV Crew w/5' bed today to size up. Not the model or options packages I would choose if I bought 1, but damn the standard features list blows away the Ranger and the standard V6 w 310 hp and naturally aspirated has almost same MPG as Ranger 2.3.... and MSRP is $5k less. Seems like an upgrade over my Maverick without the death by a thousand cuts ordering and production delays awaiting with Ford.

Did the same for a Canyon AT4 today. Really nice truck. Little bit of a turbo lag but I think that was more due to the transmission still learning. Only 5 miles on it. 51K for it.

Robo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q5, VW Atlas
I have owned two of the last gen Frontiers since the introduction in 2005. Both made me regret buying them. Broken windshields (on both) without rock hits within the first 3k miles, numerous squeaks and rattles before 25k, turning radius like a school bus, zero composure over potholed/rough roads. They did however have LOADS of power, but that came at the cost of crappy 15mpg in town. I get the new one has been redesigned, but I wouldn't pay $45k for that vehicle today.

Ranger#5?

First Name
GumbyDammit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I have owned two of the last gen Frontiers since the introduction in 2005. Both made me regret buying them. Broken windshields (on both) without rock hits within the first 3k miles, numerous squeaks and rattles before 25k, turning radius like a school bus, zero composure over potholed/rough roads. They did however have LOADS of power, but that came at the cost of crappy 15mpg in town. I get the new one has been redesigned, but I wouldn't pay $45k for that vehicle today.
yeah, but apples and oranges. Like comparing the 2000 Ranger SCab I had with 5G or even 6G. New generation Frontier created precisely to address shortcomings of the stale platform you had that was not updated for nearly 20 years. Nissan was smart they way they rolled this out. 1st introducing the new 3.8L V6 + new 9 speed trans in the last year of the outgoing model. Gave them a whole year of real-world data to tweak the drivetrain and address growing pains. Then moved it into the new redesigned overall platform- now in it's 2nd year of production. I'm not doing more than researching and comparing against 6G Ranger right now because they are offering the platform I want, and Ford hasn't divulged if it will ever come months or even years from now. Maybe never, and I'm not doing the forever guessing and waiting game I did with my Maverick if I don't need to.

FWIW, the 2WD SCab (King cab) + 6' bed listed at 18 mpg city, 24 mpg hiway, 20 mpg combined. Subtract 1 mpg for all ratings with 4WD. Naturally aspirated and take 87 octane. MSRP for 2WD is $29,370. 4WD is ~$3k more. All comes standard with cruise control and other goodies we expect in this segment. Available inventory within a couple hundred miles of me for 4WD with some options already added (~$1300) come in at $35k. I should recover most of that trading or selling my Maverick :like:

NO way I'm paying $45k for ANY vehicle with fully paid good vehicles in our stable already, just looking for an upgraded sweet spot between our 2018 F-150 Sport SCab + 6' bed and current Maverick with compromises I had to accept. Was hoping it could be a new Ranger, but the $7k MSRP bump was a kick in the nutz and I'd be around $38k after adding the packages I need based on 2023 build I did in configurator. I'm not making any decisions until I see reality of the Order Guides and B&P when released, but looks like I have an option not named Ford or Toyota or GM if I want it.
Sponsored